Anyone know when Labs first go into heat?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a chocolate lab who is almost 8 months. She want to get her fixed before her first heat, but not sure when that is. Is it safe to have them fixed in the middle of being in heat? Main reason I'm asking is, we also have a pug who is in heat right now...and we have 2 big stray dogs outside just waiting for her. I can keep Buttercup (the pug) from running away on a leash, but Snickers (choco lab) would be another story. She is good on a leash...but, I don't know how she would be if she was in heat. We can only afford to get them fixed one at a time. So, do we have time to save up for Snicker's spaying and get Buttercup done right away, or is Snickers coming due first?

Thanks for any help. I'm a dog newbie!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now would be the time to get her done, 8 months may have had a silent heat ... thou with dogs they usually go twice a yr..

for help with low cost I recommend visiting the stray and feral forum....

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do know that animals in heat can be fixed, but vets usually charge more for it. The best thing to do is call your vet to ask - there may be a payment plan.

However, before you do that you may want to search for low-cost spay/neuter services. I focus on cat-related services, but the search engines are often the same.

A really good place to start is http://www.pets911.com. Type in your zip code and use BOTH links there - one is for low-cost spay/neuter. Start there. If you don't find something, click on the "Find a Local Shelter or Rescue." This will pull up a list of organizations in your area - and just start calling. Shelters sometimes provide low-cost spay/neuter services.

You can also try this link: http://www.angelfire.com/md2/mdpetrescu/spay.html

You can also talk to your vet about a payment plan - many have this service.

Best to get them both done ASAP. Money is often a stumbling block, but with a little bit of effort, it isn't a brick wall.

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! I will definitely check out those sites. We live in a small town and were able to get assistance with 2 cats 2 yrs ago, but we probably make too much now. But, I'll try.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keno was picked up by rescue group - she was 9 months old and pregnant. So I would guess she was about 8-9 months old on first heat.

Do NOT let either dog outside without a leash if there are male dogs hanging around!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

We have a chocolate lab who is almost 8 months. She want to get her fixed before her first heat, but not sure when that is. Is it safe to have them fixed in the middle of being in heat? Main reason I'm asking is, we also have a pug who is in heat right now...and we have 2 big stray dogs outside just waiting for her. I can keep Buttercup (the pug) from running away on a leash, but Snickers (choco lab) would be another story. She is good on a leash...but, I don't know how she would be if she was in heat. We can only afford to get them fixed one at a time. So, do we have time to save up for Snicker's spaying and get Buttercup done right away, or is Snickers coming due first?

Thanks for any help. I'm a dog newbie!
Hi

Many times a female in heat will cause other females to go in heat that live with them.

Your Lab is at the right age to have her first heat. I suggest getting her spayed A.S.A.P, before she goes into heat and about three weeks of her cycle. Start calling vets and see what you can do. There are also low cost clinics as I see someone else provided. You can even research them online. They can also help you with your Pug.

You say you can keep your dogs from "running away" on leash? What does this mean? Do not take them on walks during this time if that is what you meant.

Do you have backyard? Is it secure, or is that where the male dogs are waiting? I agree, always take them out on leash if they try to escape or other dogs can easily access your yard. Always supervise during this time.

Is this your Pug's first heat? If so, how many days has she been in heat? After about 10 days bitches go into "standing heat", which means you have to extra careful b/c they are more likely to tolerate and even welcome male advances.

Keep us updated

hardcast

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Also, dogs tend to go into heat from 4 - 6 months. Larger breeds usually go into heat earlier than smaller breeds.

Laurie
That is not always true. My American bred Great Danes had their first heats when they were both over a year old, and my European bred Great Danes both came into heat at about 8 - 9 months. I have been told that you can usually figure out when they may come into their first heat by how old their dam was when she came into heat the first time.
If I were in your position and thought that the lab may be able to get away while she was in heat, I would have her fixed first.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please get her fixed now. a dog can go into heat at 6 months of age. same for a cat. but not all of them cycle the same, it just depends.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hardcast

That is not always true. My American bred Great Danes had their first heats when they were both over a year old, and my European bred Great Danes both came into heat at about 8 - 9 months. I have been told that you can usually figure out when they may come into their first heat by how old their dam was when she came into heat the first time.
If I were in your position and thought that the lab may be able to get away while she was in heat, I would have her fixed first.
Danes are a giant breed not a large... the staement was for large.

It is so nice to see a European dane

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

It was something I got off a vet site on dogs - sorry, don't know where. But the important word there was "usually."
When it comes to maturing, there is never an "always."

Laurie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

It was something I got off a vet site on dogs - sorry, don't know where. But the important word there was "usually."
When it comes to maturing, there is never an "always."

Laurie
Usually never happens in my house..lmao... back to topic

hardcast

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Sorry about that, I got side tracked and forgot to mention the main point of my post.
You are very correct Danes are a giant breed, but I was mainly just pointing out that you can not generalize when a breed of dog will go into to heat by using my girls as examples. The earliest that one of my girls went into to heat was 9 months and the latest was 15 months, and they are all the same breed.

Thank you on my blue Euro girls.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
get your dog fixed now. I would not get the dog spayed during a heat as there hormones are totally out of whack, you'll have to wait I believe three weeks after the heat ends. While she is in heat (if you don't fix her in time) make sure she has no contact with intact dogs and that she never runs off.