Abused cats behavior

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mods, please move if this isn't in the right place. I wasn't sure where it should go.

I have a question for those that rescue cats. How long does it take for abused animals to come around?

I ask because we've always suspected Puppy was abused in some way. However, we thought some of his problems were from other issues, since he has been with us for over a year. Our new vet agrees that he may have FHS; the true test will come when we move, as stress causes FHS to get worse.

However, for the last 2 weeks, he has shown almost none of his normal symptoms. He sleeps at night. This morning, I attempted to bring him under the covers. He actually purred and cuddled down while I scratched his ears.

Could his behavior problems (yowling at the walls at night, not liking to be picked up or cuddled) been from abuse? Could he just finally have realized that he's safe?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know what FHS is, but I do know that it can take quite some time for animals to recover from abuse. A general rule of thumb is that the older the animal, the longer it takes - and the longer the abuse or the worse the abuse, the longer it takes.

I do know that before we had any screening policy in place we adopted out a feral rescue (a kitten) to someone we thought was going to care for her and socialize her appropriately. She had no experience, but we had talked and given her printouts of all kinds of information. I don't know what happened, but Spook was clearly abused. We popped by for a visit - and were shocked. Spooky had only been in that person's care for a few weeks (thank God). And they weren't torturing her on purpose or for fun. But the damage was done. (We prosecuted, BTW). We immediately took Spooky back, started using adoption papers and put a screening policy in place!

They must have tried to catch her by throwing blankets and stuff over her, because any time we changed the sheets or took out a coat she bolted to hide. It took over a year for this behavior to change - and she'd only been affected by abuse from that action for a few weeks. She had come to love pets and trusted us rather quickly - but "Make the Bed," a game that all the other cats think is just heaven, is something that was more like hell for her.

Like you say, the move will be the test. But it could very easily be that his "trust" button just switched.

Thank you for rescuing this kitty!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FHS is Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome. It's an anxiety disorder. Our cat has many of the symptoms, but there's no definitive test.

Puppy was only a year old when we got him. For a long time, he wouldn't be on the bed at the same time is us, and it's only the lat couple of weeks that he'll go on the couch. I think it was the same kind of thing; the people weren't intentionally abusing him, but they gave him to their 5 year old kid who would drag him around like a doll. He's a tall and lean 15 lb cat, and when he stands up probably was taller than their kid. They also declawed him and wouldn't let him on furniture. So, he hated furniture, cuddling, and being picked up. We also had to "teach" him how to play with toys.

We'll find out soon enough I guess! I don't know if I hope that he was abused or if I hope he has FHS; FHS might mean that he takes Paxil whenever anything in the routine changes.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It depends on the cat, I guess. I've been very lucky with mine--all but 1 are ferals (I have 9); one we definitely know was neglected and abused by a neighbor; he had been thrown outside (and he was de-clawed, yet) to fend for himself (he was about 12 when we found him). Depsite this, he's the most cuddly and trusting cat I've ever had. He even goes to visitors, and cuddles with complete strangers. On the other hand, one of my latest ferals (there are 4 in that litter) is still very skittish around us, and spends a good amount of time hiding. They were sometimes abused by the staff where we found them (my husband said some of the temps threw stone at them, and possible deliberately ran over their mother with a forklift; the other employees fed them etc.). The other 3 in the litter are delightful cats! So loving--one even hugs me on command. We've had these guys since late July, and Phoenix is a little better, but I think he'll never be affectionate or sociable; though he sleeps with us after we are asleep!. Oddly enough, if I call him "Sexy", he stops in his tracks and looks at me--he almost come up to me.

I never count on an abused animal (or any animal, for that matter) to be a love-bug--all you can do is provide for their needs, and try to gain their trust. I think in most cases this will work; more often than not. For example, I love Phoenix, even though he hates me!

Good luck with Puppy.

Regards,

MargeCat

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not have any idea how long it takes for a cat to come around if it had been abused.

Opie, (a dog) found our home four years ago, we think he had been abused too.

Opie has been with us for four years now, and there are still things that scare him sometimes. We have showed Opie that we love him and we are gonna take care of him. And he is fine now.

My daughter also found a dog that we think had been abused, and with love she has also come around.

It just takes a lot of patience and love. They just need to know that you are not gonna do the same thing to them.

I also think that animals know how to find people that are gonna take care of them. I think when they show up somewheres, they just know that the people there are gonna love them. I have always felt this way.

Opie was in our back yard when I found him. He was very scared, and it was cold and raining, but I just kept trying and trying with him. I finally got him out of our yard to feed him. He has been here ever since.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can speak for abused dogs. When we found our Ellie Mae at about 18 months old, she was clearly abused. Her teeth were kicked out, had every parasite known to dog, and when you reached out your hand to pet her, she would drop down and pee out of terror. It took a year to turn her around. I don't know if we could have done it any quicker - it was our first dog and we were rookies.

I think regardless of species, they can come around once they realize that their world is completely safe. The more consistent their routine (and cats love routine), and less you try to force yourself on them, the quicker than can turn around. But every cat is different and they always work on their own schedules.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I can speak for abused dogs. When we found our Ellie Mae at about 18 months old, she was clearly abused. Her teeth were kicked out, had every parasite known to dog, and when you reached out your hand to pet her, she would drop down and pee out of terror. It took a year to turn her around. I don't know if we could have done it any quicker - it was our first dog and we were rookies.

I think regardless of species, they can come around once they realize that their world is completely safe. The more consistent their routine (and cats love routine), and less you try to force yourself on them, the quicker than can turn around. But every cat is different and they always work on their own schedules.
I am glad that you found Ellie Mae and gave her a home. I am not sure how long it would have taken, a year don't sound too long. I am glad that she is with ya'll.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a kitty that I've been feeding over the winter and taming down. She acts a bit odd. She does not hide or cower back like most ferals or even semiferals do. Without doubt, she used to be someone's pet.
She likes to dance around my feet, walk in front of me to trip me, rub on my legs, etc. She also wants to be petted, will ask for it, but everytime I do I have to be ready to yank my hand back because she will turn and claw me. I've also had this cat charge forward and sink her claws into my legs, probably for no other reason then me moving wrong or looking at or away from her at the wrong time.

For a while I would not turn my back on her and when walking away would back away from her, otherwise she'd grab a leg.

Despite this I call her Sweetheart.
She mews and dances around when I call her that.

I talked to the vet about her behavior to make sure she could handle her, knowing this cat will come out clawing and biting makes me a bit nervous. I was assured she could handle the cat but I worry her vet techs can't, they couldn't even handle a 3 month old kitten

Her year and a half old son hangs around too, he's semiferal but adores me for some reason.