What do I do with Trout when I go away??

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that my landlord will be moving out..(she used to check in on Trout when I was away) What will I do with her when I'm gone?

I am planning a trip in April and as well one in August..Both times I will be gone a week..And I literally have NOONE to watch Trout. She is a very high stress cat and a boarding place would NOT be good for her..But How can I trust a catsitter that I don't really know?

I am so worried about this..I am thinking of asking my ex to care for her. I completely trust him and I know he would take good care of her. I just don't know if he'd even say yes to caring for her though..

What else can I even do?

puppycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well since there is no one else.. perhaps you can look around your area for a pet boarding place that is more of those resorts for animals. Instead of boarding her at a vet clinic where they don't usually pay any attention to the animals, you could board her at like an "animal resort". They are just now starting to pop up around my area and maybe there are some near you. I have heard good things so far about the ones in my town. THey seem to create a "house-like' atmosphere for the dogs and cats. They get plenty of play time and attention and they are kept in nice rooms or pens. Anyway, thats just a thought. I think its kind of pricey though. Anyway, I hope you figure out something soon. Good luck

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a boarding place by my work that is also part-rescue and store.

They allow the cats to roam around the store most of the time. Often times when I go in there I see a cat "sampling" one of many things they sell (a bed, toys, etc). All the cats seem to be really relaxed. See if there is one in your neighborhood.

Otherwise ask around work and see if someone used a pet-sitting service before.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I am thinking of asking my ex to care for her. I completely trust him and I know he would take good care of her.
Woah!
This is the guy that would do mean things to Trout, right? I remember a thread you started about that.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely not recommend boarding. Most cats don't do well with it.

I'd recommend talking with your vet's office. They will likely either have a service they recommend or you'll find out that one of the techs/receptionists/assistants petsits in their off time to earn a little extra $. I think this is your best bet.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nat, I'd recommend the petsitter route. For years, we had friends or family come in to take care of cat(s) when we were away. Latterly, "friends or family" had become Rob's son -- he being the only person living close enough to impose upon. But his life is changing, and last year when we knew we would have several absences of more than a couple of days, we realized that it would be unfair to expect him to cover for all of it, and started looking at options. The upshot was that we interviewed some petsitters -- only one actually in our home, as she was the one that stood out for us.

Check this site for some guidance in finding one. Also have a look at this one. That was the one I approached first, because I really liked the look of the operation, but I didn't expect her to take us on, because I was pretty sure we were out of her area. However, she did have a recommendation for us, and that woman turned out to be our sitter. There are minor variations in how they operate, but that site is a good indicator of what you can expect.

We've been totally happy with this arrangement. We know the kids are well looked after, so we can spend all our away-from-the-kids-angst on missing them -- not on worrying about them. And it's not even expensive!

I really didn't want to think of boarding them, and subjecting them to the travel and strange surroundings, and I simply won't now.

Good luck!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your ex is a trustable person and you still get along I would ask him. Or start interviewing catsitters as soon as possible.
I don't like boarding animals I boarded Duke when he was younger and he came home with and eye infection and scratch marks averwhere. I also wouldn't trust a compleet stranger so right now it sounds like your ex might be the safe choice

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming you live in the Toronto area because you mentioned the Raptors. I went away for work all summer last year and used a cat sitter called "The cat's pyjamas". They were excellent. It was about $17 a visit. They will feed cats, clean litter boxes, play with cats, administer medecine if requested or take cats to the vet in an emergency. They also offer a cat hotel at Shepherd and Yonge. I will send you a PM with the owner's email, but I will give you their web link here.

http://www.thecatspyjamas.ca/

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never board my cats. I just know they'd be COMPLETELY freaked out.
I'd say your best bet is a pet sitter or do you have any neighbors that you trust?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

Woah!
This is the guy that would do mean things to Trout, right? I remember a thread you started about that.
Well he did love Trout, he just thought it was funny to push her of things while she slept
I'm certain he wouldn't do that if he was just popping in to check on her and feed her/clean the lb. He would never hurt her and I know that.

Originally Posted by semiferal

I would definitely not recommend boarding. Most cats don't do well with it.

I'd recommend talking with your vet's office. They will likely either have a service they recommend or you'll find out that one of the techs/receptionists/assistants petsits in their off time to earn a little extra $. I think this is your best bet.
I will ask my vet offce, I really can't board her, she would be a wreck, and I would just worry about her the whole time I was gone.

Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Nat, I'd recommend the petsitter route. For years, we had friends or family come in to take care of cat(s) when we were away. Latterly, "friends or family" had become Rob's son -- he being the only person living close enough to impose upon. But his life is changing, and last year when we knew we would have several absences of more than a couple of days, we realized that it would be unfair to expect him to cover for all of it, and started looking at options. The upshot was that we interviewed some petsitters -- only one actually in our home, as she was the one that stood out for us.

Check this site for some guidance in finding one. Also have a look at this one. That was the one I approached first, because I really liked the look of the operation, but I didn't expect her to take us on, because I was pretty sure we were out of her area. However, she did have a recommendation for us, and that woman turned out to be our sitter. There are minor variations in how they operate, but that site is a good indicator of what you can expect.

We've been totally happy with this arrangement. We know the kids are well looked after, so we can spend all our away-from-the-kids-angst on missing them -- not on worrying about them. And it's not even expensive!

I really didn't want to think of boarding them, and subjecting them to the travel and strange surroundings, and I simply won't now.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for the links!! I can't board Trout either..she would lose her mind for sure.

Originally Posted by Sicycat

I would never board my cats. I just know they'd be COMPLETELY freaked out.
I'd say your best bet is a pet sitter or do you have any neighbors that you trust?
Thats the thing, I don't know anyone in London, and all my coworkers live far away, so they wouldn't want to do it.

I just don't see how I could trust a petsitter coming into my home..After an interview how can you trust a complete stranger? Maybe they just act nice, but really are meanies or thieves??

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Your vet may be able to recommend someone that pet sits that he/she knows is trustworthy, or could your sister take her for the week?
My sister couldn't for 2 reasons..Trout shouldn't be put in another house..she will die of fright..and also, my 2 young nieces galavanting around will cause Trout to die of a fear coronary.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I just don't see how I could trust a pet sitter coming into my home..After an interview how can you trust a complete stranger? Maybe they just act nice, but really are meanies or thieves??
That's when you rely on your vet and lots of written recommendations from the pet sitter.

I called two or three of the recommendations that my pet sitter provided and received very high praises from these people. I was very totally satisfied and I also had a web cam set up in the house that I was able to check in daily to see my babies. I did let my sitter know that I set up the web cam too.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would look around for a pet sitter. You can be pushy about checking references. I'd invite them into your home & see how they do around Trout, etc. before leaving her with them.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a company called "CritterSitters" in your area? There is a chain down here with wonderful people that will come several times a day to feed and check on your animals. We've used them twice and were VERY VERY VERY happy with them. They took excellent care of my kitties (the dog was kenneled at the vet because she had surgery at the time and it was before we had our rabbit) and she ever fed and cleaned out our fish and my bettas for us at no charge. Everyday she left little notes about what she did and how the animals were acting....she also called us to check in too. She was excellent. We've hired a crittersitter person everytime we've gone out of town for quite a while now when family members are unable to help. They are great- nothing but good experiences with them
/ Also- what we did is before we agreed to anything -we set up an interview with the individual- got to meet them and let them see our animals/house showed them where the food and all was. So before we ever hired them- we interviewed them. We also obtained the names and numbers of several of their references and people they worked for in the past and we checked all of them.
I'd suggest doing this. Also- the prices were not bad at all!!!!!!!!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can check them out and make sure they are licensed, also ask for references and call these referred people and see what they have to say. At least then your kitty would be able to stay in his home home which is the best thing for them. I hope you find an answer...

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I looked up petsitting in the phonebook and found a bunch of different ones..So what questions should I ask when I call? Can they actually have licenses?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure about licenses but you may find one that is bonded (criminal record check and insurance should they cause damage to your place etc) that would be my first choice if they didn't come with a recommendation.

My vet also has a list of reliable pet sitters (people she deals with all the time and the vet tech there will also pet sit if the cat needs medical attention (we had her come and give Scully insulin when we were away and he needed it) even though we had friends looking after the cats in general