100% Sustainable Energy

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in the process of choosing my new Gas, Electricity and Water suppliers and am working towards only purchasing from companies that offer only 100% sustainable energy (yet one more way to fight climate change)

I was wondering how many of you purchase 100% sustainable and if you realised that - in the UK, anyway - many of the major suppliers actually do offer it, but do not advertise it?

Would it be something you would consider for your home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I have found in my research, it costs approximately the same or very slightly higher than your regular household usage ie whatever you would normally pay for your 'non-renewable energy' in a year, would be about the same. So, in the UK, say an average household spends £650 (very approx $1300) per year on Electricity, it would be a similar price by using sustainable energy
So if you're careful with your energy consumption, you'll only pay a small amount

Hope that makes sense!

alexa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no idea if our supplies here are the of the eco-friendly type. I'm going to check though. You're right that they don't seem to advertise, which is a real shame. With all the reporting on climate change this past week, it would be an ideal opportunity to push for the environment.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alex, if you do a search for suppliers, add 'Green' into it - this is how I managed to find out that so many companies do offer it!

You're right about all the news - you would have thought that companies offering green(er) solutions would have an influx of applications!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here we don't usually have "choices" about suppliers. The market is restricted to certain providers for certain areas. We have no option for electricity, water or sewer, but did have two choices for cable tv/internet service.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Here we don't usually have "choices" about suppliers. The market is restricted to certain providers for certain areas. We have no option for electricity, water or sewer, but did have two choices for cable tv/internet service.
Seriously? That's terrible! Do you know if your main suppliers offer any green solutions? It might be worth asking them in light of all the climate changes!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Seriously? That's terrible! Do you know if your main suppliers offer any green solutions? It might be worth asking them in light of all the climate changes!
It's a propoganda machine for them here in the States. They claim many things, but the bureaucracy is so thick you can't prove they are telling the truth or not. I do know of one company here in NC that uses a coal fired plant and has spent MILLIONS recently to reduce emissions. And it was installed by a Italian Company! http://www.environment.power.alstom....ress_releases/

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Same here. I have seen a few junk ads in the mail for alternate gas companies, but the way it works here is that usually they work through the major gas company of the area. So in the end any service takes a day longer because if they're worker comes out and escalates the issue to the major company then you have to wait for that company to come out.

I just save the time and stick with the major energy companies.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only have one power company that supplies electricity but for a few dollars more a month you have a choice to have some of that energy come from alternate sources like wind power. I think the most is though 20-25%??
There is a small city about 10 miles away that provides all the power to that city by hydroelectric and their rates are really cheap!!
Many companies have a plan whereas one pays more for electricity say 7 am-7pm M-F then its much cheaper during the offpeak hours.
You can check out this site focusonenergy.com a Wisconsin website on energy saving tips.
Have you looked into or are you using flourescent light bulbs?? We use them in Neils garage/workshop, the attached garage and the basement. The only downside we have is that in colder weather the light is a bit dimmer and of course they still don't fit in many lamps.