i got attacked at work today

caterpillarpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But strangely enough I was prefectly calm with it and did everything I was supposed to.

I'll have a few bruises but nothing major,
oh the joy of working in mental health!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caterpillarpie

But strangely enough I was prefectly calm with it and did everything I was supposed to.
Good for you! It's always hard to know how you'll react to something before it happens.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad you weren't hurt badly. Do you have good support at your work? That could be quite traumatic.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even one bruise is one to many.

What protections does the company you work for have in place?
This should never happen.

I am glad that you are OK but please....
don't put on a brave face.
Make sure you are safe at work.
Being attacked by a pt. could potentially end your heath or your life.

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So glad that you are alright!
My sister works with mentally diasabled children and has been attacked as well. I'm so glad that the training you received was able to get you out of a dangerous situation with only minor injuries! It does get really scary, doesn't it?

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that you are ok! Its amazing how we apply the things that we have learned in a situation like that without even thinking about it!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caterpillarpie

I'll have a few bruises but nothing major,
oh the joy of working in mental health!
Ouch, sorry to hear that
I hope you are ok.

I am a nurse and have had my share of run ins with crazy eldery people. I've been pinched so hard that I was left with a bruise in the shape of the guys hand. I've been whacked in the head with canes and walkers. I had a woman bite me and draw blood.

When that happens I call a code "White" and have a bunch of big burley orderlies come sit on the patient while I stick them with a needle!

One girl I work with got really beat up in the ER one day when she was working there. Some guy literally just attacked her and started punching and kicking her. She was pretty banged up by the time they got him off of her.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'll bet you are shook up! Even if you are prepared for something like this, it's still going to be nerve rattling.

When I was working with autistic children (for a time while doing my internship), a co-worker was standing behind a child who was seated at a table. The child reached behind his head, grabbed her shirt, and ripped it off her body, all in about a second. I had been wondering why all my co-workers were so young, and it didn't take long for me to figure out why.

Please keep being careful, and thank you for the necessary and difficult work you do.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch