I think someone else is feeding my cat.

hrp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I noticed a couple weeks ago that one of my cats was putting on a little weight, so I started cutting back on his food intake just a bit. I haven't put him on a scale or anything, but it seems like he's actually gained weight.

He absolutely loves food, is a total pig and if someone else is feeding him it could be why he likes going outside so much.

Has anyone else ever had a problem like this?

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does his belly look rounder?, if he's an outdoor kitty he could have picked up worms from something he ate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hrp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not just his belly, he looks thicker in general. He's still technically a kitten so he could just be putting on some weight before his final growth spurt. Who knows!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by HRP

Not just his belly, he looks thicker in general. He's still technically a kitten so he could just be putting on some weight before his final growth spurt. Who knows!
That's possible!!

Maybe you could talk to your neighbours to see if they've been giving him scraps?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed a couple of neighbors kitties

They're outside when I feed my cat and I can't tell them no.

Is he really friendly? Does he have a collar so someone can see he obviously has a home? Maybe he's just stealing another kitty's food. I know my Max is stealing food from another neighbor's cats, he's a bit fat too.

Who knows? Maybe there's someone living down the street that looks forward to your kitty's daily visit? When I was kid we had a 93 year old neighbor that wasn't able to care for kitties herself but would put out saucers of cream for ours and enjoy their company.
Of course the only real solution is to keep him in if you're bothered by others feeding him or worry that he's finding snacks on his own.

hrp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's a very sweet boy, but terrified of new people. If someone he doesn't know comes into our apartment, he'll make a mad dash for our bedroom and hide underneath the bed or covers.

But then again, I bet he'd like anybody that offered him food

Oh, and he's collared and name tagged.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Typical kitty, thinking with their bellies

Could you attach a note somehow? It might look silly, but maybe a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch wide strip of paper with "ARE YOU FEEDING MY KITTY? " around his neck and taped together at the ends? It would easily rip off so it wouldn't be a choking hazard, though he'd probably lose it quickly. Maybe you'll get a note back if someone is.

More likely he's doing what a couple of the kitties I feed do, lurking around when food is being put out and waiting for the person to go back inside.

hrp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That could be it! Hopefully he's not barging into somebodies basement or house through a cat/doggy door!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO you should keep him inside (is he neutered?). Or if you insist on outside time, then train him to a harness/leash or an enclosure where he can sit in the sun for awhile.

By letting him unsupervised outside, you risk fleas, worms, ticks, fighting with other cats, FELV, FIP, mean dogs/kids, or poison/traps. Is it worth it to you?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HRP

That could be it! Hopefully he's not barging into somebodies basement or house through a cat/doggy door!
I can't help but laugh because I have a cat I can totaly picture just walking into someone elses house. However, in your case your kitty doesn't sound like the type to do that. My Jordan has NO FEAR of anything.

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He may just be getting more stout and grown up. My two indoor male cats did even after I cut back their food .

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is a very handsome kitty named Harry who lives on the next block (according to his name tag) who comes right into my kitchen to eat whenever the cat door is open. He is very friendly, and gets along with our girls. Is your kitty's name Harry?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HRP

Well, I noticed a couple weeks ago that one of my cats was putting on a little weight, so I started cutting back on his food intake just a bit. I haven't put him on a scale or anything, but it seems like he's actually gained weight.

He absolutely loves food, is a total pig and if someone else is feeding him it could be why he likes going outside so much.

Has anyone else ever had a problem like this?
Not exactly but we used to have a practical joker in the neighborhood that would ADD gas to my tank, causing me to go around and brag about how much gas mileage I was getting while everybody was laughing behind my back. My cats are not allowed outside but I do have a baby scale which you can usually find if you go to enough garage sales. The old bit about getting on the scale with the cat and then without the cat just does not get it. Of course, being outside he could be getting extra food from any number of sources. Even a practical joker.