I did the wrong thing, but for the right reason.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The people down the street have a cat named Joey.
This summer she told me that he was 16 years old.
I went out to get my mail this afternoon and Joey was sitting on my front porch, keep in mind it was 3 degrees at the time...much colder now.

They don't seem to care how cold it is, they just open the door and toss Joey outside.
Another thing I have to say is that Joey hates the sight of me for some strange reason.
He hisses and spits everytime he sees me...I've never had a cat do that to me in all my life.
He doesn't do it to anyone else, just me.

Anyway I suppose the thing I SHOULD have done was to call and tell them to come and get Joey, but I knew that they'd only toss him out again.

I went down to our basement and got a box, put an old blanket in it and gave him some food and water, he chowed down all the food in a matter of minutes.
I went outside about half an hour later and the water was frozen.
I thought "That's it, he has to come in"

I mentioned that Joey hates me, well he didn't hiss at all today and that just breaks my heart in a way because it just makes me think that the poor old man was so cold he didn't care how he got warm or who he had to go to in order to get warm.

Joey is in our basement right now with food, water, litter box, toys and the box with the blanket.

So I guess you can say I stole the neighbors cat.
I've told this story before, but this is the same way we got our RB kitty Maggie.
Our neighbors at the time could have cared less about her and they never even came to look for her and we had her from the time she was a couple of months old until the day she died and almost 19 years old.
Like I said in all those 19 years they never made any effort to find her.

Joey's so called "family" are different I know they'll look for him.
But I just can not see how I can justify calling and telling them he's here knowing that he'll be back outside within an hour and it's below zero outside and he's a very old cat.

I guess I just need someone elses opinion on this, did I do the right thing?
Or should I tell them he's here...so far they haven't made a move to look for him, but I know they will eventually....but if he's outside eventually might be to late.

My Husband is not to happy with me...he's a Detective of all things...and the ony thing he said was "Please tell me you believe that cat is a stray"

I know we can't keep him, but at least for right now I know he's warm and safe.
I'll worry about what to do with him later.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that you are in a difficult situation, but if it were me, I would have done the same thing. I can't stand it when someone would consider themselves more worthy over their pets. They think that just because they have fur they don't freeze. I think it is ok for you take him in until the weather is more acceptable and then let him back out especially as old as he is. He does not deserve to die alone in the miserable freezing cold. I wish that the people who let him out would get thrown out themselves so they can see what they are doing to that poor cat.
I hope this helps you in some way and thank you for caring about another living creature on this earth.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you did the right thing. I don't understand how people can throw a senior cat outside in the freezing cold.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a difficult situation but I would have done the same thing if it were me. You're a sweet puurrrson to be taking such good care of him...

Hilda >^..^<

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww, I would definitely have let him in. The old guy was not only cold, but hungry too! Poor thing. At least keep him in for the night.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you did the right thing. But I would tell the neighbors that you took him in. If it is a certain temperature outside it can be considered animal creulty to leave the cat outside if it is too cold.

loreye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was the right thing. I am considering asking my neighbours for their cat. They have a bunch of cats. But this one, that I call Fuzzy who I thought was a stray technically is. It's the guys' sister's cat who came to live with them for awhile and moved out one day without telling them and left the cat behind.

The kids at the school next door feed him, and I feed him, and he roams the hall of my building and sits on my doorstep.

Let us know if they try to figure out what happened to their cat.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

I think you did the right thing. But I would tell the neighbors that you took him in. If it is a certain temperature outside it can be considered animal creulty to leave the cat outside if it is too cold.
Have you tried talking to the neighbours about that?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think anyone would judge you harshly for saving the cat's life. He's so old, he wouldn't have lasted long in these fridgid temperatures.
You'll have to let him out eventually though if your neighbours do start to look for him.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really, you did the right thing. Because whether or not they love the kitty (and they probably do) is irrelevent...that temperature for most creatures (cats included) is deadly. Perhaps they didn't realize he was outside, or perhaps they did, and think that he has some Herculean ability to shield himself from the bitter cold, and either way, it doesn't matter...if left out all night, it is very possible that this poor old kitty could freeze to death, or at the least, suffered DANGEROUS frostbite.

And, I should mention that the fact that you take an older kitty who was formerly unfriendly towards you, and all of the sudden, he's friendly toward you under these circumstances, speaks VOLUMES. He was suffering outside, and realizes now that you've probably saved his life, or at least, his tail, and tips of his ears...that poor little dear.

I guess, my feeling on this situation, is that either your neighbors don't care ENOUGH, or they are horribly ignorant. Either way, it's no good for the cat. I would give them one more shot, however, and return the cat, and politely let them know that you believe he wouldn't have made it in this weather overnight, and that you were happy to keep him warm with you. If you see him out again, do not hesitate to call your local ASPCA or Humane Society. It's wrong to leave ANYONE out in the cold, love 'em or not.

You absolutely have done the right thing.

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You did the right thing for the right reason.

I have a neighbor's cat. Casper's completely deaf and they threw him outside, I believe because he has behavorial problems. The vet said he was possibly abused. Anyway, he was coyote bait. I called him in as a stray to the humane society in the event his *people* (I'm generous in calling them that) ever looked for him. They didn't. If it would make you feel better, call in a report. If nothing else, if they do turn in a missing report on him, they can explain to the shelter what a cat that age was doing outside in zero degree temperatures.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Agreed!!! you did the right thing Granceicat. Is bad to "steal" but In my opinion its far worse to throw an eldery pet out like that.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima.../angryfire.gif To steal a pencil at work or a tv or a car or a bike now that wrong.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...lies/agree.gif Think of it as you helped a innosent creature maybe that will ease the guilt. If these neigbors do that to an animal it shows a very immature character and a dangerous ego, if they have kids it teaches them to disrespect life and who knows... you just can't trust people like that. Everyone forms their own opinions during young adulthood/ teenage years and if your careful they are yours, unfortantly not everyone opinion is good. Give the cat back later on, but say it "got out" and keep a close watch if it happens again take it.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...ilies/wink.gif

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, it makes me feel better to know that you would have all done the same thing.
Even though I knew in my heart that any of you would have done the same thing.

My Husband took a walk down to their house when he put the garbage out.
He told them that he'd seen Joey on our front porch earlier.
She told him that Joey went out last night and never came home so she just figured he'd found somewhere warm to sleep probably in the houses that the other neighbor had built for the strays to sleep in.
Mason told her that the strays had all found homes and they weren't sleeping outside any more...we took Elliott in the beginning of November and the people who built the houses took the female in early in January.
The Woman down the street brings the other male in when it gets cold....that's Charlie he's very old and has been outside all of his life apparently people have tried to make him an indoor cat over the years but he just will not stay indoors, he will however sleep in Cathy's laundry room when it gets very cold.

When Mason told her that she said that she was sure Joey was probably in on of the cat houses all by himself and if he got cold enough he'd come home.
HELLO you jerk don't wait for him to come home, go look for him and bring him home.

I can't remember who it was now that asked if I'd talked to them about Joey.

When his owner told me this summer how old he was she said that he got out and she couldn't get him to come back in for a few days.
When she did bring him back in she said he had fleas and her whole house got infested so she got rid of the fleas in her house and on Joey and told me she wasn't going to go through that again so she was going to make sure he didn't go out again...that lasted for about a month and he was back out again and again he got fleas.
I swear some people don't have the brains God gave a house fly!

So if she went to bed last night and didn't know where that poor little old guy was then I don't feel one bit bad that she doesn't know where he is now.
Mason agrees with me, he said Joey can stay here until it gets warmer.
I'm going to go down tomorrow and ask her if she's seen Joey yet.
Maybe that's not right, but I figure if she doesn't seem concerned after a couple of days then she doesn't care about him at all, then we'll just take it from there.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

Really, you did the right thing. Because whether or not they love the kitty (and they probably do) is irrelevent...that temperature for most creatures (cats included) is deadly. Perhaps they didn't realize he was outside, or perhaps they did, and think that he has some Herculean ability to shield himself from the bitter cold, and either way, it doesn't matter...if left out all night, it is very possible that this poor old kitty could freeze to death, or at the least, suffered DANGEROUS frostbite.

And, I should mention that the fact that you take an older kitty who was formerly unfriendly towards you, and all of the sudden, he's friendly toward you under these circumstances, speaks VOLUMES. He was suffering outside, and realizes now that you've probably saved his life, or at least, his tail, and tips of his ears...that poor little dear.

I guess, my feeling on this situation, is that either your neighbors don't care ENOUGH, or they are horribly ignorant. Either way, it's no good for the cat. I would give them one more shot, however, and return the cat, and politely let them know that you believe he wouldn't have made it in this weather overnight, and that you were happy to keep him warm with you. If you see him out again, do not hesitate to call your local ASPCA or Humane Society. It's wrong to leave ANYONE out in the cold, love 'em or not.

You absolutely have done the right thing.
I would return the cat and let them know that you let the cat inside for the night due to the weather. Try to educate them. If they refuse to hear it let them know that if it happens again you will not hesitate to call the local authorities and report it as abuse.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

I would return the cat and let them know that you let the cat inside for the night due to the weather. Try to educate them. If they refuse to hear it let them know that if it happens again you will not hesitate to call the local authorities and report it as abuse.
Precisely.

Hilda >^..^M

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you did the right thing!

I did the same thing when I found Booker (RB)
He was a beautiful kitten left outside by the neighbors to fend for himself...so I "let" the kids bring him inside
I just didn't "let" the neighbor's know until about 2 months later

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got 8 cats from the same idiot family... marvin was left out during a huge snowstorm in 2003...I had just put a cat to sleep 2 weeks prior so I put him in basement...I figured he was about same age as Smokey(RB) so put him in smokeys room(yes cat had his own room for a while lol) then tommy the highway cat-sitting in road so took him-hes a bit...messed up. He will randomly attack at times(medically clear). then they decided to get a mom cat had kittens went to get her spayed and she was nowhere to be found-so sad...but took her 5 kittens-out since they were born and were about 4 months when I got them. and then Mr. T(i called him oddity or T for short-vet dubbed him Mr. T and it stuck...Sadly each cat I took in not once did I ever get asked did you see so and so...never cared enough to ask-we were the only neighbors as thier house sided to a creek. I say leave it alone with neighbors and definatley keep him long as you can(if he stays sweet enough at least keep him till it warms up enough... even if they end up taking him home or he gets out-He knows where the love and food and heat are

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have taken him in, too. I wouldn't say anything to the neighbors, but if they call him, I'd let him out. When they toss him out, I'd take him in again, repeating as necessary.

I guess I'd let him decide if he wants to keep going back, or stay with me.

You did a very good thing.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it's probably wrong, but I would do the same thing, and though I hate to say it I wouldn't return him unless the owners proved fit enough. I agree with letting him choose, at least you've given the poor boy an alternative for emergencies. I think you are an angel honey, keep up the good work. It breaks my heart that all babies aren't loved and adored like all of our kitkats here are. :-(

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I would have taken him in, too. I wouldn't say anything to the neighbors, but if they call him, I'd let him out. When they toss him out, I'd take him in again, repeating as necessary.

I guess I'd let him decide if he wants to keep going back, or stay with me.

You did a very good thing.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
I think that me and you must be related somehow swampWitch, because this is excatly what I was thinking too.

I would have took that cat in without even thinking about it. It was cold and I have said on this site before that animals are very smart. He knew where to go to get help, I would continue to let him back in as long as he wanted. I would try and get to be his friend too, I wouldn't even bother with talking to the neighbors. They shoulda been out looking for him last night.

Anyways, you did the right thing.