Sausage shaped sick (I'm sorry!)

keelyg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I got up this morning to find that Tilly had been sick right next to her food bowls. I thought at first she'd done poos, as they were brown and sausage shaped - but when I cleaned it up, I realised it was sick.

Might this be hairballs - there was defintely hair in there, but not matted together like I'd imagine a hairball looked. I haven't seen a hairball before, so I'm not sure if this is it?

I fed her after the clean up, she ate everything and was her usual self - doesn't seem ill at all.

Thanks for any thoughts

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like a hairball to me. They aren't solid masses of fur but are squishy, have fur in them and look like little sausages with one end being a little bit more pointy than the other. Sorry for the graphic image - it is what it is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keelyg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Phew! Thank you so much - I had a persian before, so never encountered hairballs - and this is the first time in the year I've had her that Tilly has decided to produce one.

She's in for one long grooming session tonight!

candlemaven

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wilbur has offered up the "sausage-like" hairballs. And what's really gross is that from a distance, it *does* look like a turd.

Cat ownership is not for the squeamish!!

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just wait until she leaves one on the carpet one night, and you step on it in the morning. There ain't nothing like a freezing cold, oozy gooey hairball to help wake you up in the morning

hardcast

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog

Just wait until she leaves one on the carpet one night, and you step on it in the morning. There ain't nothing like a freezing cold, oozy gooey hairball to help wake you up in the morning
Lord, that is the truth. That happened to me last week.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Rosie hacked one up upstairs at the weekend
My livingroom is open plan so i could hear her and that's when i jumped up, and Sophie sat looking up the stairs wondering what the noise was she was making

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alley used to get them regularly and thats exactly what they looked like. She wouldn't eat the hairball type food and absolutely HATED the jelly type hairball remedy. Nothing worse than finding that on your bed!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar has only had a hairball once or twice but I remember the horror I felt when I first saw one (he's my first ever cat!) and was standing there thinking 'oh no, what the heck is THAT?!!' and wondering if it was some sort of medical emergency.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I'm dreading hairballs. I never imagined them to be so... turd-like.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my guys threw one up the other day. By the time I found it it was hard
but definately a hairball. From a distance I thought it was a poo!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keelyg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't feel quite as silly now! I never imagined a furball would look like that! Who decided to call them balls?!

Sounds like I have much to look forward to - sigh! I think Tilly was as surprised as me about what it was and that it had come from her - we live and learn!