Not cleaning themselves?

pjrocco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am just a ball of questions today!

I have three cats, an 8 month old female, and two 9 year old males (brothers). Someone, or all three of them are not cleaning their butts properly. After they use the box, sometimes they jump onto the bed or couch and leave a little poop stain, I've also seen it on the carpet. I haven't had any problems with previous cats, but then again, I have all white white/cream colored furniture. My vet didn't seem to be to concerned and said if it bothered me I should wipe their butts after they do their business. Obviously, I'm not home 24/7 so that is not an option.

Nothing like jumping in your bed to find a stain of poop on your pillow.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are they long haired? I've known folks with long haired cats that trim the hair around their bottoms to prevent what you are talking about. If short haired, I have no suggestions (sorry).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pjrocco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are all short hair... I'm at a loss with this one is well.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the same issue with Lucky but Benson has taken care of it for me.
I have throw blankets on the couch where Lucky likes to lay. I would give him a butt bath every now and then. It also seemed like the area was stained but Benson cleaned it all (ewww). I wish I could help you more but bathing your kitties is probably the best option.

What does their litter look like? Is the pan deep enough? Is there too much litter in there?

mrs mog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What are their poos like? My nine month old did have this problem but it was down to loose poos. She still has an unusual way of going to the toilet but now I've switched to grain free foods there's been no poo anywhere.

Could it be their diet? My cat is a messy one who doesn't groom herself very much as well, especially if there's anything stuck on around that area.

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like what MrsMog asked, does the poo look diarrhea-like? If so, might want to look into what they are eating.

My cat used to leave some spots on her butt also, but not all the time. But when I did see it, she didn't like me cleaning her butt. So I lightly sprayed her butt with a water bottle. When she felt the water, she then felt like licking it clean. It seems as if she didn't notice it there until I drew attention to her butt.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FiftyFour

My cat used to leave some spots on her butt also, but not all the time. But when I did see it, she didn't like me cleaning her butt. So I lightly sprayed her butt with a water bottle. When she felt the water, she then felt like licking it clean. It seems as if she didn't notice it there until I drew attention to her butt.
Great idea!