Lets talk birth control ladies...

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I am not even two months pregnant, and im already thinking about birth control...lol

I just want to know what my options are as far as different types of BC. I dont want to get my tubes tied because I dont want to have to be bed-ridden for hours after, and dont want anything to interfere with my plans to breast feed the little one. Most importantly though I dont want to make such a drastic decision and then regret it.

I was on the 3month shot when I had my son (Depo-pro something?lol) and I only got that once because I was having periods 7-8 days long, 2-3 times a month. The time I was on that shot I was almost constantly bleeding. Then I tried the pill, my mom actually got it for me and it worked wonderfully, my periods were like clockwork, but I am very forgetfull, and the pill isnt a good option for me.

I need something long term but that can be reversable and that I can still breast feed. Any opinion would be appreciated!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you liked the pill but couldn't remember to take one every day, you might want to try the ring. You insert it right after your period and leave it in for 3 weeks, and then take it out for 1 week. The hormones work the same way as the pill (I think).

ETA: I'm not sure whether or not you're supposed to breast feed on it.

erinandseamus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm very pleased with my IUD. It'll last for five years, you don't have to think about it, and my periods have all but disappeared.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

Since you liked the pill but couldn't remember to take one every day, you might want to try the ring. You insert it right after your period and leave it in for 3 weeks, and then take it out for 1 week. The hormones work the same way as the pill (I think).

ETA: I'm not sure whether or not you're supposed to breast feed on it.
One of my friends swears by the ring
It kinda freaks me out a little though

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

One of my friends swears by the ring
It kinda freaks me out a little though
It freaked me out a little at first but I really like it. IUDs are what freaks me out.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

I'm with you, Nat.
DH and I were discussing the ring last night, because I'm on the patch now, and it sometimes itches UNDER the patch.

But, we turned our heads sideways, then the other side, looked at each other and said, "HOW does that even work?"

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ErinandSeamus

I considered the patch, but it turns out I have an allergy to adhesives, so that was out.
That's unfortunate!

Then again, with the recent controversy surrounding use of the Patch, it might have been for the best. I'd worry if it wasn't for the fact that I had been using it without incident for three years prior to the breaking news. And although it's only dangerous for women who are susceptible to blood clots, I'm sure many women are turned off by the possible risk.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am on the pill and I used to be really bad at taking it but then I just started remembering. I was on the patch a couple of years ago and it was horrible. Mine never stayed on and they always made me really itchy. I am thinking about trying the ring, but it seems kind of weird.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been on the pill for like 17 years

What if you put the pack somewhere where you go EVERY day so that you wont forget, like next to your coffee, or your makeup, or in your purse?

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

I've been on the pill for like 17 years

What if you put the pack somewhere where you go EVERY day so that you wont forget, like next to your coffee, or your makeup, or in your purse?
I set a cell phone alarm and carry the pack in my purse, so I can take it no matter where I am.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont know if hormones can be harmful to a baby, but if they can be then I dont think any form of hormonal birthcontrol would be wise during breastfeeding. I think the literature is controversial about it, and you should never risk a baby's health if theres contridictory information at all. One thing I do know is that higher estrogel levels can decrease both quality and quantity of breast milk, so if you are still considering a hormonal option, Id go for something Progestin-only. Alternatively, try the dreaded condom or have a diaphragm fitted for that period of time during which you will be breast feeding.
As for me, I dont forget to take my pills, so the pill has been an excellent option for me, in terms of side effects, regularity, convenience (very easy to skip/schedule periods) etc etc. I think for me the scare of getting pregnant is so great I dont "forget". I also keep my pills on top of my alarmclock, so I pretty much HAVE to remember them

erinandseamus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

That's unfortunate! .
Yes, I had to get a mole removed and the tape over the guaze made me break out in horrible welts.

I was on the pill on and off for over a decade. I finally just got sick of it. I switched to depo-provera and gained nearly 25 lbs. I had always heard if you haven't had a child you're not a good candidate for an IUD, but my latest doctor said that wasn't necessarily true and said to try it. I've been very happy with it...so far so good.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was reading the first post thinking "if you're pregnant, it's possibly too late for birth control...

Anyway, there's something called Implanon which is a single small rod that gets implanted into your arm just under the skin. It lasts 3 years, and you can get pregnant as soon as it's removed. I think it's in the process of being approved for the US, and has been in use in Australia and I think the UK for a fair while now.

A couple of friends been on it for a while and swear by it. It's easy, you can just forget about it, and you don't have the Depo Provera side affects of not being able to get pregnant once you go off it!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ErinandSeamus

Yes, I had to get a mole removed and the tape over the guaze made me break out in horrible welts.

I was on the pill on and off for over a decade. I finally just got sick of it. I switched to depo-provera and gained nearly 25 lbs. I had always heard if you haven't had a child you're not a good candidate for an IUD, but my latest doctor said that wasn't necessarily true and said to try it. I've been very happy with it...so far so good.
Does it hurt when it is inserted? I read you can experience cramping after it is inserted? Did you have cramping and how long?

My sister uses the ring and loves it.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's definitely not impossible, but it is less likely. A lot of women get "surprised" because they also thought it was impossible

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My niece Terri uses an IUD and likes that a lot. She had two children before that (also couldn't remember to take her pill) and so far the IUD seems to work better for her and be easier. Maybe you could talk to your doctor about that
(I use the pill- it works well for me and i remember to take it because i take it every night before i brush my teeth).

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Isn't it supposed to be impossible to conceive during breastfeeding anyway?
Not for my sister kimmy it wasn't. Our family is like a bunch of rabbits. She stayed pregnant for quite a while lol. My niece Taylor wasn't even 6 weeks old when she got pregnant again. Unfortunately she has a misscarraige with that little one. But several months later when she was still breast feeding -she got pregnant again with my nephew Issaac. And after she had Isaac and was breast feeding him- she got pregnant with my nephew Cooper. So it's not impossible.