Help Please!

pjrocco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a great opportunity to purchase an Chartreux but his pedigree is a bit odd to me. The mother and father have the same father but different mothers. So this cat will have the same grandfather from both parents. I was told they have done this breeding several times with no problems, but it still makes me think. I have asked a couple people I know who breed dogs and they told me it was ok, but I figured I'd ask the professionals.

Sorry, I know this has been asked before, but mainly because of Father/Daughter - Mother/Son. This one is half brother/sister I guess.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a half brother/sister breeding. Not really bad if the rest of the pedigree is more/less outcrossed and the 1/2 B/S breedings do not have a lot of inbred ancestors.

Its common, but you have to be careful - know your lines and know if there is anything genetically wrong.

Are you getting the cat as a pet, show or breeding?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pjrocco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Its a half brother/sister breeding. Not really bad if the rest of the pedigree is more/less outcrossed and the 1/2 B/S breedings do not have a lot of inbred ancestors.

Its common, but you have to be careful - know your lines and know if there is anything genetically wrong.

Are you getting the cat as a pet, show or breeding?
He will be a pet...Netured and NOT declawed!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been asked many times - is inbreeding allowed? The answer is : if it works, yes, if it doesn't then no. Breeders inbreed or line breed to "lock in" a certain trait - ears, eyes, nose, body shape, type.

Since your Chartreux is coming to you as a pet (lucky you!), and the breeder says the breeding has been successful before the I see no harm in it. But if you were thinking of breeding then a really thorough search of the pedigree is required.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I ask where you are getting him from (breeder)? Not too many chartreux breeders in the US - do they have a website we can check out for you?

pjrocco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Can I ask where you are getting him from (breeder)? Not too many chartreux breeders in the US - do they have a website we can check out for you?
Name: Robin C. Phillips and R. Carlyle
Cattery: Jouvencebleu (CFA)

They do not have a direct website, but they are about 15 minutes from me.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check the pedigrees on how many champions/grand champions there are before you buy the kitten. Just be sure they have been breeding for awhile and know what they are doing.

I know of a cornish rex breeder in the Wash. DC area that claims to have great cats - she's never been in a show hall, only has a few champion cats (most of which are at least 5 generations from what she is producing) and claims she knows what pet and show quality cats are. To make matters worse, her cats are kept in cages, not housetrained/socialized and have very poor type/coats.

I know all this, cause I've met a few owners who got cats from her and complained to me about it after seeing my rexes! I've also seen a few of the pedigrees too.

pjrocco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the info, I'll do a little more research and if all looks good I should have my Chartreux in a couple months!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I do with any new breed I'm considering, is after choosing the kind, I start researching about the breed, the standard (so you know what you are looking at), some pedigrees, other breeders and their cats (you don't have to buy from them - just get an idea on type, quality, etc.).

That way when you do look, you won't appear to know nothing about the breed - research the history - so you can ask intelligent questions. Besides if you ask questions about the breed and the breeder doesn't seem to know the answer, you can walk away.

Before we even picked out the ocicat breeder, I knew the history, looked at type, colors, and background on other oci's. Even DH could tell the people a little history/background and what makes the oci a pet or a show type

Chartreux Chat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Name: Robin C. Phillips and R. Carlyle
Cattery: Jouvencebleu (CFA)

They do not have a direct website, but they are about 15 minutes from me.
Greetings!

Fast forward 13 years and I'm looking for a little Chartreux of my own. I, too, am close to Jouvencebleu but can hardly find a stitch of information about them online. Nevermind reviews, basic information is absent. Before contacting them directly and fingers crossed you receive a notification about this post, will you take a moment to tell me about your experience?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are no longer breeding. I'll send a private message with more leads for you.