Do you really know someone after 18 hours?

auntsewissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I started a new job last week as a Licensed Optician for a local Dr. office. Worked a total of 18 hours. 10 mins before leaving for work today, I got a phone call from the office manager. She called to say it just wasn't working out. WHAT?
She said I didn't have enough initiative and wasn't a team player.
I spent 4 years in retail management in the past. You don't get that far in retail management without initiative and being a team player. Plus, how well do you think they know me after only working 18 hours? AND fire you OVER THE PHONE! Very unprofessional! I think something else was going on and they didn't have the guts to tell me!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's absolutely absurd!
That is the most unprofessional thing I have ever heard anyone do. Did they say anything else? They sound like a coward also. At least have the guts to tell the person to their face and not hide behind the phone, but that's besides the point. I'm so sorry that happened to you...but maybe it's for the best. YOU might have found out you wouldn't want to work there because of THEIR work ethics. I wish you all the best and hope have better luck with the next one.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about your job. I got a job at a mini-mart and went in for training. I was there a total of 6 hours and was told it wasn't working out. Firstly the person who was suposed to be training me was busy having a water fight with friends out back. I am glad I didn't have to go back. I reported the conduct of the manager and the trainer to the head office. I was there less than 20 minutes when they put me on cash alone, full access to the safe and lottery tickets. I could have taken off with everything in the store... they didn't know me from a hole in the wall.

Just think of it this way... if they didn't like you ater 18 hours they probably never would have liked you. You are better off not in that job.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, sounds like something else was up. My daughter, Naomi, had a very similar thing happen to her last year. She's worked retail at Dollar Tree since she was 16. She quit them to manage another art store last year. Well, everything started out fine and the owner liked her work. Naomi loved it because it was so different...relating to art which she loves! Anyway, after just a couple of weeks, the owner left on a missionary trip to Africa for 3 weeks. When she got back, the next day she fired Naomi for pretty much the same reasons you're giving. Naomi was crushed! She'd just moved into a new apartment...had to give it up and move in with us. My hubby knew there was more to it...so he advised Naomi to go to the employment office, wages & means...the whole thing! The woman (owner) was holding some $$$ she owed Naomi...after some 'convincing' she ended up sending her a pretty nice lil' check...much more than she owed her. A few days later...oh I guess almost 2 weeks...Naomi found out that this woman had been training someone else to take Naomi's place from the very start!!!

Hilda >^..^<

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was hired in to work at a ceramic tile gallery and store once while I was in school. I worked for one day and the boss' daughter was supposed to be training me but she sat at her desk all day planning her upcoming wedding. She and I were the only two in the store. I did what I could around the store but with little to no training... I didn't KNOW what to do.

They called me the next day and told me it wasn't working out and that they didn't really have money to have that additional position right now anyway. I had to practically force them to pay me for that one day. Sheesh.

What it comes down to are these are companies that you wouldnt want to work for anyway, so better to find out sooner rather than later.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

That's awful Hilda! People like that make me cringe at their lack of work ethics and just empathy in general.
I hope they get what is coming back to them.
I hear ya. And to think this sort of person was doing missionary work? Por favor!

Hilda >^..^<

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

What it comes down to are these are companies that you wouldnt want to work for anyway, so better to find out sooner rather than later.

Probably someone they wanted originally (friend perhaps?) hated where they got a job, quit and inquired about the position.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that it was probably the 'oh my friend needs a job' case.

BUT, and this works both ways as we have had employees leave after 1 day, if you know that the person isn't 'clicking' as part of the team, it is best not to prolong it and you are better off not being there

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How awful! I would be furious if I were in your shoes. Employers really don't know what they heck they are doing most of time. The more I hear and experience, the more I want to be my own boss someday.

I was hired to work as a vet assistant one summer. Everything was going really well, and I was enjoying the change in environment from being a pharmacy intern. Well, it turns out they hired me knowing they were in financial trouble, and had to let me go a few months later. It was ridiculous, and I quit a really good paying internship to go do what I love- work with animals. I honestly think it had to do with some of the comments I made... being in healthcare, I know about sanitary procedures and such, and they were doing some things that were unthinkable in my opinion, so I tactfully asked them why they didn't do it this way or that. I guess I didn't fit in that way, but got along great otherwise with everything... they just wanted someone who was going to let them get away with their cost-cutting measures (that I found detrimental to the care they were providing).