Hyperthesia

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a 2 year old black oriental cross kitty. Ever since I brought him home on January 13, he has been swishing his tail and biting it and chasing it in circles and then running from it like it is on fire.

This sounds like hyperthesia and my vet said nothing can be done.

Is this so? Is there nothing I can do to help him? He eats purina Ur for crystals!

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heidi - do a search in this forum for Hyperesthesia. You'll see many threads about the subject.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KTLynn

Heidi - do a search in this forum for Hyperesthesia. You'll see many threads about the subject.
I only saw one plus mine!

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read all I can find on it and some people are having to put their babies down as it gets worse.

does anybody know if it can be cured or at least controlled?

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

It might just be the spelling. There are more here.
I went to the Vet and they put him on fluoxitine and he started doing real good but now - 3 weeks later he is worse!

I am so heartsick all I do is cry. He is not enjoying life at all.

I canot get to the second link. could you maybe help me find it?

I also have read somewhere that dr Dodman will do a consultation with you for $$$$$ but I can't find that either.

I had a computer crash and lost all my bookmarks!

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy with the hyperthesia is WORSE. He was put on fluoxitine 3 weeks ago and did great but now suddenly he is worse and hiding to stop from attacking his tail.

Someone gave me links to places to search this but i had computer problems and lost all my book marks.

PLEASE will someone send me the links again? I Did read them but now he is so much worse I need to read them again.

Hissy if YOU read this Please will you send me the information agian.

I am just heartsick. I can't keep him on tranquilizers 24/7 and he is not enjoying his life at all!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I'm sorry your kitty is having trouble. I don't have any experience with hyperesthesia, but I do have experience with Fluoxetine, and I'd like to try and set your mind at ease if I can.
Fluoxetine is not a tranquilizer, it's an anti-depressant. In the right dosage, it should have NO tranquilizing effects, i.e. it shouldn't make the cat dopey or lazy. My vet assured me that it takes at least 4 weeks to have ANY effect. The daily dosage is a "maintenance" dosage. The fully "effective" dosage is not built up and stabilized in the cat's system for around 4-6 weeks after starting the medication.

How much is his dosage? How much does he weigh?

As you are searching for info about the disorder, note that the spelling is: "hyperesthesia". That should get more results for you.

Try and take a deep breath. I can imagine that it's frustrating, and I hope you can get some help for your baby.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi,

I'm sorry your kitty is having trouble. I don't have any experience with hyperesthesia, but I do have experience with Fluoxetine, and I'd like to try and set your mind at ease if I can.
Fluoxetine is not a tranquilizer, it's an anti-depressant. In the right dosage, it should have NO tranquilizing effects, i.e. it shouldn't make the cat dopey or lazy. My vet assured me that it takes at least 4 weeks to have ANY effect. The daily dosage is a "maintenance" dosage. The fully "effective" dosage is not built up and stabilized in the cat's system for around 4-6 weeks after starting the medication.

How much is his dosage? How much does he weigh?

As you are searching for info about the disorder, note that the spelling is: "hyperesthesia". That should get more results for you.

Try and take a deep breath. I can imagine that it's frustrating, and I hope you can get some help for your baby.
THANK you and BLESS you! He is almost 15 pounds (14 3/4 as he has put on a lot of weight since he got this as food helps him forget it), and NOW the Vet says to take him from .5 down to half that amount.

I have read all about it but just do not understand why he backslid?

I am trying to find a ride to a neurologist in Roseville CA but even though I have offered money nobody is helping.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyBabies

THANK you and BLESS you! He is almost 15 pounds (14 3/4 as he has put on a lot of weight since he got this as food helps him forget it), and NOW the Vet says to take him from .5 down to half that amount.

I have read all about it but just do not understand why he backslid?

I am trying to find a ride to a neurologist in Roseville CA but even though I have offered money nobody is helping.
You're welcome. So the dosage is .5 ...is that "half" of a pill? Do you know how many miligrams the dosage is?

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You're welcome. So the dosage is .5 ...is that "half" of a pill? Do you know how many miligrams the dosage is?
His bottle says 5mg/mil and he has been getting .50 of a cc of it. NOW she says to drop it to .25 of a cc and add 5mg prednisalone.

I am Praying this will work as he was doing so well and then WHAM! It hurts so bad to see a baby in need of help!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

His bottle says 5mg/mil and he has been getting .50 of a cc of it. NOW she says to drop it to .25 of a cc and add 5mg prednisalone.

I am Praying this will work as he was doing so well and then WHAM! It hurts so bad to see a baby in need of help!
If he was doing better for awhile, it is very unlikely that it had anything to do with the fluoxetine. Fluoxetine has no noticeable effect on anything until at least 4-6 weeks have passed since the first dose. I don't understand why your vet is lowering the antidepressant dosage and adding a steroid/anti-inflammatory.
I'm no expert but I don't understand that.

3 weeks is not long enough to see the benefit of Fluoxetine. Please have faith.

Follow your vets orders, BUT...that dosage seems really low to me, especially the new one. .25cc , that's just once per day I assume, is that right? Why did she lower it?

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Follow your vets orders, BUT...that dosage seems really low to me, especially the new one. .25cc , that's just once per day I assume, is that right? Why did she lower it?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

SHE says it starts to work immediately but the FULL effects wont be seen till after 4 weeks. She says maybe 5 is too much for him and to try lowering the dose and seeing it that helps.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

SHE says it starts to work immediately but the FULL effects wont be seen till after 4 weeks. She says maybe 5 is too much for him and to try lowering the dose and seeing it that helps.
Like I said, I'm far from being an expert...but I have never heard or read that there should be any hope for improvement before 4 weeks. I *thought* the standard starting point was .5mg/kg per day, which in your kitty's case would be apx 3mg/day ...but he's getting 1.25mg/day. She has seen him and is the doctor, so I'm sure she knows what is best for him.

I just wanted to try and reassure you to have faith and give the medicine more time to work.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well he had 2 days of being back to normal and today - his tail is bothering him. I decided to do what the Vet at Cornell said and NOT drop the prozac dose and to make sure his acepromazine was at least 2.5 mg.

Just do NOT understand why he goes up and down.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whoah....I didn't realize he was on acepromazine too.

Now that is a tranquilizer. I know that the effect of some tranquilizers can be enhanced by the use of Prozac (Fluoxetine) at the same time. In that case, I can understand lowering the dosage of one or the other, in order to strike a happy balance. Again I'm not an expert (far from it!) so just do what the vet said.

I think some ups and downs can be expected while you (and the vet) are working to get his medications just right.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Whoah....I didn't realize he was on acepromazine too.

Now that is a tranquilizer. I know that the effect of some tranquilizers can be enhanced by the use of Prozac (Fluoxetine) at the same time. In that case, I can understand lowering the dosage of one or the other, in order to strike a happy balance. Again I'm not an expert (far from it!) so just do what the vet said.

I think some ups and downs can be expected while you (and the vet) are working to get his medications just right.
Well the Vet at Cornell said NOT to decrease his fluoxitine so I only did it from .5 to .4 but today he is worse.

HIs acepromazine is only 2.5 mg and has only the effect to help calm him at night. It DID at first zonk him out but not now.1\\

heidinyny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey heidi..
my name is heidi too.
my cat had rippling on her back, and was biting her tail, grabbing her tail, etc.
i found out she was severely allergic to the food i was giving her. i switched her food a few times until i found something she could tolerate. i haven't seen her back ripple for awhile now, and she only bites at her tail occasionally. it has gotten much better. i pray it doesn't get bad again.
maybe your cat has a severe food allergy? it is just a suggestion, but maybe you want to try switching her food to something else.
i am sending you so many good vibes to you and your cat.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by heidinyny

hey heidi..
my name is heidi too.
my cat had rippling on her back, and was biting her tail, grabbing her tail, etc.
i found out she was severely allergic to the food i was giving her. i switched her food a few times until i found something she could tolerate. i haven't seen her back ripple for awhile now, and she only bites at her tail occasionally. it has gotten much better. i pray it doesn't get bad again.
maybe your cat has a severe food allergy? it is just a suggestion, but maybe you want to try switching her food to something else.
i am sending you so many good vibes to you and your cat.
Thanks but my boy has blocked and needs to be on food to acidify his urinel This ALL STARTED when he was boarded for 3 days and nights. I cannot help but wonder if he was so stressed at being seperated from me or IF his back or tail got pinched in the cage or his carrier!