Tongue resting outside mouth

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This afternoon I was sitting at my desk checking my email and Dori walked into the room and sat down. I heard her hacking a little bit... She has never had a hairball and it caught my attention. I looked over at her and she appeared to be about to throw up. But suddenly her tongue came out of her mouth and was just sitting there. She then layed down, but her tongue stayed out of her mouth. I went over to rub her back, but she got angry with me, but I realized it was because she was still hacking/ coughing. It went on for a few minutes and then she was fine. I have been paying attention to her this evening, and did give her a little Petromalt.

Was her tongue sticking out like that normal for a cat who is possibly having trouble with a hairball? It was very strange... It worried me.
Also, am I wrong to assume it is a hairball?
She is going in either this weekend or next for her annual vet exam, I could move it up...

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost always when any of my cats cough they do have their tongue sticking out when they cough. So that is pretty normal. It could be a random cough due to a hairball. If you don't have any more coughing spells then it would be safe to wait for your appointment,but if you have any more coughing spells I would get in sooner.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwe poor Dori
From what you described it sounds like her tongue was hanging out because she was trying to hack or throw up/nauseous. If it were me I'd just watch her like a hawk and if it happens again then maybe you could move her exam date up.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

Awwe poor Dori
From what you described it sounds like her tongue was hanging out because she was trying to hack or throw up/nauseous. If it were me I'd just watch her like a hawk and if it happens again then maybe you could move her exam date up.
Sending vibes that she is fine though

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whew, I feel better knowing that others hang their tongue out like that as well. I have been keeping an eye on her closely. She is playing and acting fine so far. I have just never seen the thing with the tongue and it scared the heck out of me...

Thank you guys

I wonder if it is abnormal for a cat not to ever have a hairball. She is almost 4and 1/2 years old. I worry that one day she is going to have a huge hairball caught inside of her. I am going to ask her vet about this at her appt.