someone has started 'thinking' outside the box

pearce1974

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh no, they are acting up right before they are due to get spayed tomorrow. please tell me spaying helps with middening. I have no idea what is causing this, but it has gone from 'just outside the box' to the steps to the kitchen to the actual sofa. my SO is pissed, we give them attention and then some, i don't know what could be wrong...

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have they been checked over at the vet already for possible urinary tract infections? That would be my first thought. If you can rule that out then you can work on the behavioral part of it.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

Have they been checked over at the vet already for possible urinary tract infections? That would be my first thought. If you can rule that out then you can work on the behavioral part of it.

This was exactly what I was going to suggest. I'd make a call to the vet ASAP, see what they have to say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pearce1974

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they poop outside the box, not urine. could that mean uti. dang that meow mix, I knew I was playing with fire

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pearce1974

they poop outside the box, not urine. could that mean uti. dang that meow mix, I knew I was playing with fire
Both of mine eat Meow Mix wet, and we don't have any problems "outside of the box."

Pooping outside the box could simply mean that they need a second litter box, or that they feel that you aren't scooping enough. The rule is one per cat plus one, I believe.

How often do you scoop?

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I owuld just check with the vet to rule any problems out. It could turn out to just be behavorial problems. Let us know what happens.

pearce1974

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I scoop at least twice a day. once in the morning when I wake up, and in the evenings when I come home. They both 'go potty' and I believe it is behavioral, which angers me, quite frankly, because I do everything for them. perhaps too much? I don't even want to post my new pics, maybe they are so spoiled that when I fail to do something it is war? I mean I hold them like infants, they melt in my arms, they are really 'needy' . Even though they groom each other and sleep together, do everything together, could they feel threatened by the other? I just don't know why this is happening now, and it is very disheartening.

see what I mean???

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share....tate=RETRIEVED

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share....tate=RETRIEVED

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So they pee in the box fine, just poop outside? That would be more behavioral. I would also suggest a second litterbox as some cats like to pee in one and poop in the other. Maybe you can ask when you take them in for the spay.

The pics sure are cute

pearce1974

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they Started this off and on since January 15…I had the commercial litterboxes at first, then thought it would be best if I changed to sterlite sweater boxes. So they now have two huge boxes. They poop and pee just fine, this is a matter of maddening, and as cute as they are together, I am wondering if I need to separate them, I just canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t see why else is the world two sisters who get along great would all of a sudden need to mark territory in the form of poo.lol!!

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did it start happening after your changed the litterboxes? Some cats are weird like that and dont like change.

pearce1974

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no it happened before, which is why I changed. they go fine, they just like to plop a turd outside the box, not sure which one though, they are not 'going' it looks like it is just enough to mark territory...

butterflyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read that a litter box for each cat + 1 is the best way, and some cats are super picky about the box. Have you moved the box latley? Cats don't like when you move the box, or use a different brand of litter other than the usual. All of these things can encourage them to pee/poop outside of the litter box.

My cats always pee on the floor outside the box or on the outside of the box itself if I don't scoop the boxes several times a day. Through trial and error, I added in more boxes, scooped alot more, and kept the same litter everytime and they have been really good about going in the box now. Plus getting them neutered helped tremendously!

I have 2 cats and 3 boxes, that REALLY helped me alot. I hope you can figure it out and fix it, because I know how frustrating it can get. Good luck!

pearce1974

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope the spaying works. it's like with cats, it seems to be a gamble. they aren't scratching, so I have this. I know other people have other problems, I don't think there is a perfect cat, my SO doesn't understand this.