Again with the runny stool

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is so upsetting!

Reilly was into the vet 2 weeks ago for runny stool and was put on a week of antibotics. Well it seemed to do the trick and we took him in for a check up on Thursday and everything was ok.

Last night he started again with the runny stool, and just had another episode of it this morning.

They did fecal tests and everything and found no cause. I'm thinking of calling the vet again and seeing if I can get some more antibotics (perhaps it wasn't a long enough course?)

Any suggestions are appreciated.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you switch foods recently??? I know once in a while I will find runny stools in the litter box but don't know which if the three are doing it even though I suspect Grizzly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's the really frustrating thing. We haven't switched foods and he have made sure that he doesn't get any people food either.

I put a call into the vet office 5 minutes ago. They are going to have my vet call me back today.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat reference books discuss's (gross) color and smell to suggest different thing that could be gong on-make sure you mention this to the vet that calls.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Reilly!
This may not be the case, but I know you've looked into almost everything! When Damita started getting loose stools, there was nothing wrong. Turns out it was food allergies. Has Reilly been stressed at all in any way?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor guy- when Davidson started his vomiting, we figured out he had developed an allergic reaction to the food I had been feeding them

Its been about over a week now since I've switched foods and so far, so vomiting!
Has the food you've been feeding them switched formulas? Thats what Davidsons problem was.
Sending many vibes to Reilly!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just got off the phone with my vet, and she wants me to take him off of his wet food (he eats Merricks) to try and rule out a food allergy.

This is so hard for me to do!!, he really looks forward to his wet
maybe I can start off with just giving him wet food for breakfast and not for supper?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He could be allergic to the dry just as easily as the wet, but she is perhaps just trying one at a time to rule them out.

Did you try adding a tablespoon of pumpkin to his food?

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

He could be allergic to the dry just as easily as the wet, but she is perhaps just trying one at a time to rule them out.

Did you try adding a tablespoon of pumpkin to his food?
She said to try the wet first (usually the culprit in her expeirence)

When Reilly had the runs 2 weeks ago I put the pumpkin in his food then...I'm going to try it again tonight.

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There was another thread discussing the use of Bene-Pac. It does wonders for stool problems building up good Flora within the intestines. Most vets. have it on hand or something close to it...also can purchase on Amazon & receive within days.

I always have an extra tube on-hand. May be worth asking yout vet. about it.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by leesali

There was another thread discussing the use of Bene-Pac. It does wonders for stool problems building up good Flora within the intestines. Most vets. have it on hand or something close to it...also can purchase on Amazon & receive within days.

I always have an extra tube on-hand. May be worth asking yout vet. about it.
during my most recent bout with runniness, i didn't know who was the culprit. i added an acidolphilus capsule to the wet food 2 nights running, & it seemed to do the trick. must've been either Cable or Chip, since they're my wet food eaters. bene-bac is available at pet food stores. acidolphilus caps are available lots of places [i got mine at the local health food store].

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the links. That's the first time I've heard of Bene-bac. I'm going to see if I can find some tomorrow

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

I just got off the phone with my vet, and she wants me to take him off of his wet food (he eats Merricks) to try and rule out a food allergy.

This is so hard for me to do!!, he really looks forward to his wet
maybe I can start off with just giving him wet food for breakfast and not for supper?
Poor Reilly ... I would just take him completely off it for a few days and see if he gets better. If he does, then maybe you can try reintroducing just a little bit. Like a teaspoon a day to start off with. How long has he been eating Merricks? If it hasn't been long, maybe it is just too rich for him?

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

How long has he been eating Merricks? If it hasn't been long, maybe it is just too rich for him?
He's been eating it since August/06 and he's only now starting to get runny stool

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would wonder if merrick may have again changed there formulas ... My two stopped eating it about the time Reilly started and I know it was a formula change

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The bene bac is pretty good stuff. I purchased some of it at petsmart a couple weeks ago for Gizmo and it seem to do the trick. Two treatments later and his stools were back to being firm again. Hopefully it'll help Reilly out too.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well we switched him to Nutro and the good news is that he likes it. I've been told it's less rich than Merricks and Natural Balance, so I'm hoping this helps.

I went to 2 stores and still can't find bene-bac. I'm going to try Pet Smart though.

Thank you for the tips everyone. I appreciate it