thin kitten

barblynnp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I am new here. I just started fostering a mom and her 4 babies. They are about 4 weeks old. The smallest kitten seems to be getting weaker every day. The others are fat, playing, eating solid food. The tiny kitten seems sleepy all the time and either huddles in a corner, or close to mom. I just tried giving him a bottle, but he would not take it. Do you think there is something wrong? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks,
Barb

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Barb and welcome to TCS!

Has the kitten been losing weight and has mom cat been ignoring it? Please do start supplementing his feeding immediately if you haven't done so. This is the perfect time for fading kitten syndrome. If mom cat has been ignoring the kitten then it's unfortunately up to you. If he's not taking to the bottle, I would suggest syringe feeding. Try keeping him warm. And also try out the kitten gollop thats on the stickys of the forum!

Good luck!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try supplementing the kitten, but usually the mother knows its something wrong and rejects the kitten. While some feel the need to save everyone, IMO mother nature knows best - I'd let the little one go quietly.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You can try supplementing the kitten, but usually the mother knows its something wrong and rejects the kitten. While some feel the need to save everyone, IMO mother nature knows best - I'd let the little one go quietly.
Awwww, I couldn't do that. I have no ideas for you though..but good luck, I hope the little one survives

katiescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know I wouldn't be able to just let the kitten go, but if you have a case of FKS (Fading Kitten Syndrome), it might be that there is nothing you can do. I am hoping for the best for you (I am fostering a litter of 6-day-olds and their Mom right now), and hoping that the little one will bounce back.

thelorax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Barbly.

You might try giving the kitten a wee bit of kitten milk from either the vet's office or the petstore. I suggest a supplemental milk called KMR for felines. You might also try mixing a small amount of the KMR milk with a bit of moist IAMS kittenfood...mind you just the smallest amount of the meat/milk mixture , hand fed in tiny amounts to the baby.

I wonder if the baby is anemic? Does she have fleas? You can help the baby to nurse if you still have her with the mother by moving a stronger baby aside and physically helping the baby onto mom's nipple. I've had some succes at this method, though it involves a bit of reassuring/negating momcat's interference and keeping her still long enough for the kitten to eat.

Goodluck! Try the KMR with the dropper method, but be carefull to keep nostrils dry while feeding. If the dropper sems too much, a scrap of cloth dipped into the fluid and pressed to the kitten's mouth can work as well.

Peaceout, thelorax