Shock Collars on Cats

sneakersm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need to present alternatives to a woman and her fiance to prevent them from using shock collars on her cats when they move into a new home. I placed two of the cats with her and they are 'my' babies. I am sick about it and desperate for help and suggestions. I need all the ammunition I can get - documented is purfurred but I'll use anything real you can give me. Websites, personal antedotes, success stories on alternatives for people who aren't home 24/7 to 'train' their purrkids. Thank you in advance for your help. Sneaks

longhornchick29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what is it that her cats are doing that she would need to "train" them? I work all day too and my cats sleep all day. I cannot imagine that her cats aren't doing much of the same.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe we have a mutual friend! Welcome to TCS!

Try tinfoil on the counters. Citrus sprays/scents are natural repellants. I've used dried oranges as well as diluted lemon juice. The plastic mats that go under computer chairs....if you turn them over, they have "pokeys" that cats don't like to stand on. Petco & petsmart carry various types of mats that cats don't like to stand on. Double sided tape. Ummm....A metal can of pennies that they shake every time the cats get on the counters!

Is it possible that this woman would be interested in joining TCS? We would be more than willing to help her directly as well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sneakersm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The purrkids get on the counters and her fiance has untreated ocd and very very expensive leather furniture- they have done nothing cats don't do. I'd love to have her join- she is very upset with me for not thinking shocking them is a good solution. I've also offered to give all of her purries a home should she decide it is the right thing to do.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I hope you can either talk her into other ways to keeping them off the counters or get them back! Do you have a contract she signed? Does it state in there anywhere that there are certain things she cannot do(like shock them with shock collars)? I ask those questions just in case she decides there is nothing else to do but shock them...

ETA: Here's one thread on shock collars.... http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...t=shock+collar

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I know enough about this situation, shock collars for what? Training, indoor, outdoor, ? I do know that you are going to get a lot of objecting responses to this question, probably no advice without more detail. I immediately think, just tell them they could get arrested for inhumane abuse....

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

I don't think I know enough about this situation, shock collars for what? Training, indoor, outdoor, ? I do know that you are going to get a lot of objecting responses to this question, probably no advice without more detail. I immediately think, just tell them they could get arrested for inhumane abuse....
I believe the shock collars will be used to train the cats to stay off the counters, if I am understanding correctly...

sneakersm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sadly no- she has been like a sister to me and i didn't have a contract signed on them. I can't even imagine what this will do to them and the risks of permanent injury are scary. The more alternatives I can give her the less she can justify shocking them. Ideally she will make a choice...

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be great if she would join, there are so many alternatives. I simply copy/pasted this from a thread I responded to right next to yours.....
Dulcinea has discovered jumping up on EVERYTHING! Help!
fr gregg
You need to refrain from anything she associates with play when approaching her to learn "down" and "no". This may be a little difficult in the beginning. When she jumps up on something shes not suppose to be on, with direct eye contact firmly say "no, get down" as you approach her. When she does not respond, standing close to her but not touching her, with your hand snap your finger and point from where she is to the floor while repeating "down". Do this a couple times, if no reaction, then pick her up and place her on the floor where you where pointing. Walk away so she does not associate this with play. You can cuddle, pet, play, as long as its not in the immediate area of this training process. Believe me, this absolutely works!!!!!!! It may sound cold at first, but after a while it becomes a simple, respectful, give and take, loving relationship! I've never used water bottles, there are times when you may not have one and I think its best to see if you can get the understanding communication between you first .

sneakersm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I believe the shock collars will be used to train the cats to stay off the counters, if I am understanding correctly...
yes you are - : ) and to keep them out of two rooms of the 'new' house - they are not in use yet- i'm trying to prevent it. Shock collars are unfortunately very legal and should be outlawed. It never occurred to me that anyone would ever use them on a cat? Ignorance is not bliss- I need help finding alternatives or it will happen. Sneaks

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also want to say that this method, shock collar, could lead to other negative behaviors, peeing/pooping other then litter, negative emotional/mental effects which can become physical after time.......

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about those things you can place on counters that shoot a puff of air or noise when they sense a cat in front of it? I forget the name of it... does someone have a link to them?

That's awful to shock the cats... it would definitely cause them to become fearful and distressed.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

What about those things you can place on counters that shoot a puff of air or noise when they sense a cat in front of it? I forget the name of it... does someone have a link to them?

That's awful to shock the cats... it would definitely cause them to become fearful and distressed.
Are you referring to "Sssscat"?
http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Pet-SC.../dp/B0002XI7CI

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shock collars could definitely lead to fear associated agression.
Why would anyone want to use such a barbaric training (torture!) tool? On any living being?

sneakersm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I believe we have a mutual friend! Welcome to TCS!

Try tinfoil on the counters. Citrus sprays/scents are natural repellants. I've used dried oranges as well as diluted lemon juice. The plastic mats that go under computer chairs....if you turn them over, they have "pokeys" that cats don't like to stand on. Petco & petsmart carry various types of mats that cats don't like to stand on. Double sided tape. Ummm....A metal can of pennies that they shake every time the cats get on the counters!

Is it possible that this woman would be interested in joining TCS? We would be more than willing to help her directly as well!
Thanks for the great suggestions! I need all I can get. We do have a great mutual friend : ). Sneaks

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would actually report the thought of this to the authoritys .... You see I no little about shock devices but I do know evan the SMALL dog ones are only for 8LBS and over, with a animal weighing less DEATHS have been reported ... Hopefully should she go and buy them no one will sell them to her