Little rant

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know why this makes me mad but it does!
Around here where we live, people use greyhounds for coyote hunting......and they put them in a little box on the back of their truck, and it just looks so miserable! I feel so sorry for the dogs, I mean they shove like 2-3 in one box, how in the world can they even move?? I guess it just is something that annoys me and I felt the need to *rant*!!

clu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's horrible. How can people do that? Isn't that like... illegal, crulety of animals or something.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You aren't alone in your feelings there. That's just not right

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Clu

That's horrible. How can people do that? Isn't that like... illegal, crulety of animals or something.
I dont know......guess they just think its OKAY to shove them all in there, and dont care how much room they have to move!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coyote hunting is legal?

I'm not against using dogs for hunting, but putting 2-3 greyhounds in one kennel is pretty bad. We use our chocolate lab for hunting (duck) and put him in the kennel in the back of the truck (which is secure and safe, and legal). But I think putting 2-3 in one, is pretty bad.

clu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

But I think putting 2-3 in one, is pretty bad.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm pretty sure that would be cruelty to animals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Most definately, very cruel!
Yes I agree it is very cruel!! But unfortunately around here, people do it ALOT!! and they think its a "sport"
And as far as the greyhounds, its not even a crate, its a wooden BOX and they have a little bitty square to look out, and they look so sad going down the road.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Playing devil's advocate here.
Greyhounds have zero body fat and lose heat very easily.
Kenelling dogs in the back of a truck with a secured kenel is the safest way to transport then.
2 -3 to a kenel would keep them warmer.
The wooden box you describe sounds like a typical hunting box used for hounds.
They are somewhat short, dogs are safer if they are lying down, most are much bigger than they appear at first.

That said, why use greyhounds for coyote hunting?
Your average gun dog can get the job done just as well, and they bay, meaning you need fewer dogs.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that sounds bad.

As a hunter(or used to be) why would you want to hunt coyote?,
i am sure they dont eat them, so i doubt they taste like chicken. So unless they have become a public safty issue, i dont understand why.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The next time you see this- please try to write down the tag number and notify your animal control if you see them mistreating the dogs. (I volunteer/transport for one of our local greyhoud rescues around here- it is not uncommon to transport several dogs in a carrier together- although ours are pretty spacious.) But if you see signs of abuse- the owners need to be reported- so be sure to write down a tag number and description of the vehicle the next time you suspect something

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think i'll also play devils advocate. It sounds to me like they may be doing things a tad bit wrong, but how many people do you see with dogs in a pickup with no crate, only a rope? At least these dogs are secure inside an enclosure. Greyhounds are very petite dogs anyway, so unless its a VERY small box I dont think they should be too uncomfortable

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People transport their dogs like that here too - though not greyhounds, they have beagles or other hunting dogs. I see them every weekend, several to a box, being towed.