Purrfect Fence?

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I installed Affordable Cat Fence, www.catfence.com . It was pretty easy (just tedious) to install but has worked great. No escapes in 4 weeks of use. My Felix made a few attempts on the first day but gave up after that (and he's a formerly feral cat). Hannah and Sheba haven't even tried. It's wonderful. They use the pet door with the dogs and really are enjoying the sunshine and trees.

I say go for it, but certainly look into Affordable Cat Fence as well!

Cally

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pee-cleaner

I installed Affordable Cat Fence, www.catfence.com . It was pretty easy (just tedious) to install but has worked great. ...
Do you have trees on the perimeter of your yard? How does the fence work in that case? Can they climb the tree and go over? I've been really wondering about this.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very interesting! I'm not too worried about our cats trying to escape; more worried about the strays trying to come in and mess with the cats, so we've always just kept them indoors. Though when we used to live in an apartment we had a balcony that we let them go out on to get some sun and smell the fresh air (with supervision of course). It'd be nice to let them do that again. Ultimately I think we'd probably end up building an outdoor cattery in the future. I'd be worried about these types of fences failing.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, we do have trees in the perimeter. Mostly large shrubs we've trained to be trees. We did a major trim job to cut limbs away from the fence. In a couple of cases, we had to buy the tree guards which will prevent the cats from climbing those particular trees to prevent any "climbing out on a limb and dropping down." For us, it will require monitoring the entire perimeter every few weeks and making sure that the fence is still secure. According to the manufacturer, cats usually do most of the "testing" in the first few weeks, then accept the boundaries so it would take a major break in the system for them to escape. The manufacturer of Affordable Cat Fence has been using the system for their 11 cats, so it's been well tested.

Cally

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pee-cleaner

I installed Affordable Cat Fence, www.catfence.com . It was pretty easy (just tedious) to install but has worked great. No escapes in 4 weeks of use. My Felix made a few attempts on the first day but gave up after that (and he's a formerly feral cat). Hannah and Sheba haven't even tried. It's wonderful. They use the pet door with the dogs and really are enjoying the sunshine and trees.

I say go for it, but certainly look into Affordable Cat Fence as well!

Cally
Wow - this is much cheaper than Purrfect fence!
Keep us posted on how your babies are enjoying it. Does it have an open top like the Purrfect Fence? Where in the fencing did your Felix try to escape from?

We are moving soon into a house with an screened-in porch so maybe getting this fencing will be unnecessary, but Penelope really loves to play in the grass but she hates her cat leash so I am trying to find some better way!!

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Yes, it has an open top like Purrfect fence. There are photos on the Affordable Cat Fence site, altho they look pretty much like a penitentiary!

Felix used to go into the backyard, jump on our swimming pool pump in the corner of the yard, and launch himself over the privacy fence from there. He tried several times to do that the first day (with me standing right there for safety.) It was impossible for him to either go through or over the netting due to the design. The next few days he walked the perimeter looking for any open spots and then gave up. He's still not totally happy about the deal, since he was formerly feral and was used to roaming, but the peace of mind it gives ME is immeasurable. As for my seven month old, Sheba, a former cattery kitten---she thinks she's died and gone to heaven! She runs like a cheetah, climbs trees and stalks leaves and sticks all day long on nice days. She's going to be over the moon when spring actually gets here.

Cally