Best way to keep ribbon from fraying?

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright, for all you crafty/sewing type people out there - I'm making place markers for my choir's hymnals so we don't have to keep flipping around finding songs. I've got double-folded bias tape to use as the ribbons, but I'm wondering what the best way to keep it from fraying after I've cut it. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find just cutting the ends on an angle do the trick. You could try hemming them, but it shouldn't be necessary (plus a lot of extra work).

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Depending on the type of material you could run a lighter lightly along the cut edge to slightly melt the ends together and stop fraying (this only works for synthetic materials which will melt, natural fibres won't). Obviously you've got to be a bit careful and not leave the lighter in any place too long or else you'll have a burnt spot. I'd suggest trying it on a small scrap to see if it'll work for you (and so you don't ruin a good finished piece).

Oh, and if the use of a small flame doesn't seem like your thing... you could also use a little bit of clear nailpolish. It will slightly discolour your ribbon, which is why I don't like this method too much, but if you're not fussed about that it's super easy to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its 50% polyester/50% cotton....I wonder if that will melt or burn.
Thanks for the advice so far! I like to be able just to cut it at the ends, but since its double-folded, its sort of folded in half...
Just like me, try to buy something to make the job easier since I didn't see spools of ribbon that I like, and I make it more complicated for myself instead!

Edit: After a test - there's enough cotton that all it does it burn.
Glad I tried it with a small flame!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You can also try using a tiny bit of clear nail polish along the edge. It is pretty easy and solves the problem.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can buy Fray Check at most sewing stores. Its in a smallish bottle with a tip for appling at the edge of the ribbon. But I think you could tie the edge on a knot after the stuff dries.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to give things a try and see what works best!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spray Starch - like the one used for ironing or spray on diluted fabric stiffner (I use the Bostick brand), iron down the ribbon and then cut the ribbon using pinking shears, to a point or an inverted V. This is what I do for my rosettes and it works like a charm everytime!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Neely

You can also try using a tiny bit of clear nail polish along the edge. It is pretty easy and solves the problem.
Nail polish, or that white elmers glue, the kind for school kids that dries clear....you just need a tiny pinch of it between your 2 fingers, then kinda pinch it off the bottom of the ribbon.... that'll do it.