How nuts is this?

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My co worker just called me and told me that they were trying to repair the toilets in our bathrooms (from yesterday when they were frozen and didn't succeed) so they were rerouting the toilets to another pipe and one of the pipes burst! So the guy comes in telling my co worker that his tank ran out of propane and he needed to do some running before he came back and he'd be gone a 1/2 hour or so, now the pipes going to freeze that's already burst because he had heat on it but now doesn't, so he doesn't know how long we are going to be without water. Now call me nuts but if you're running a restaurant, don't you NEED water to function?? I mean this guy said it could be off anywhere between 2 to 10 hours he wasn't sure and couldn't say. I don't know about your but the thought of NOT washing my hands tonight just has me grossed out! We can't make the batter that goes on our food, no Hush puppies, no hand washing, no dish washing, I mean really? I think they need to close the store. This is not only gross but a health hazard. And if we can't make our product without having to run somewhere to get water, how stupid is this!?
Do you think I have a valid point, or am I just crazy and this will fall on deaf ears if I call my manager?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Spain we have lots of water problems, mainly pressure issues and lack of water. If at any time the water supply has gone, all restaurants must close
how can the staff wash their hands, how can veg. etc be cleaned ...and ummm.......toilets
etc...etc...a restaurant just cant function. If I was the boss, I would just expect the staff to close and then update me. What if someone got food poisoning, then the place would have to close, maybe for good !
I would think it is still a H&S issue which ever country !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

In Spain we have lots of water problems, mainly pressure issues and lack of water. If at any time the water supply has gone, all restaurants must close
how can the staff wash their hands, how can veg. etc be cleaned ...and ummm.......toilets
etc...etc...a restaurant just cant function. If I was the boss, I would just expect the staff to close and then update me. What if someone got food poisoning, then the place would have to close, maybe for good !
I would think it is still a H&S issue which ever country !
I agree. I just wondered if my boss will see it that way. It's not at all appealing to think about going in and not being able to wash your hands or make food. I think they should just close.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's crazy! I wouldn't want to eat in a restaurant where the employees couldn't wash their hands - yuck! Not safe! He should close it down until the problem is resolved!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a law requiring him to close. If I went to a restaurant and the staff told me there was no whatever because there was no water, I'd leave.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, I just was told by my manager that she told the people working to go and get jugs of water to make food and that they could wash their hands with wet naps! GROSS! I'm off to shower and get ready to go in. This ought to be interesting. I'll let you know what happens tonight.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats gross. I wouldn't eat somewhere that had no water. Once I was eating at a chinese buffet and half way through our dinner something happened with their water and they had none. I didn't want to eat anything else.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure where you are, , but most places I know of that's illegal.
It's against health codes.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's disgusting.....I would think it's illegal to stay opened....what are they going to do about toilets???? I know here if the bathrooms/water are not functioning then it's against the law to remain open.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats digusting. and i wouldnt eat there. wet naps? wet naps are not proper washing. Personally I would call the health department or something, because i am pretty sure thats illegal, with no restrooms (resturants are required to provide) and no water for employees to wash their hands properly? Hazzard!

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's terrible and surely illegal! Surely they must close?

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also think it would be illegal to reamin open if there is no water. How can a person go to the potty if there is no water?

Give me your managers number and tell him I was gonna go to his restraunt but now I am not gonna go cause he has no water.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I went in that day and we ended up not having water until 3pm. So they went all day without water. Our manager told them to buy gallons of water and they used that but noone could do dishes, wash their hands, go potty, mop the floor, nothing like that. It was gross. I was just glad they got it running at least half way so I didn't have to deal with it all night. I would've been sick. That's nasty. Our OWNER didn't seem to concerned about it when we called him about it. He just said as long as we had hand sanitizer we'd be fine. YUCK! They are going to shut the water off from the city soon because they need to fix some things still but they need to work it out with the city first.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would discretly contact the local health dept about this. I don't think this is legal.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is disgusting. I agree with everyone that said that can't be legal. Its not sanitary. Yeah use hand sanitizer but you gotta wash them too!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
should definitely close down. No way would I want to go into a eatery and know there is no water and people could not wash their hands. It makes me sick just to think about it. The owner should CLOSE IT DOWN!!!!

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I live, a restaurant with no running water must shut down until the water is back up, per Health Department regulations. I imagine it's the same in most places since it seems like a pretty basic rule to me!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You would think so right? But they managed to slip by the system. But when they shut the water off from the city, they might (goodness forbid) have to close the store that day.

Oh yeah we didn't even break $700 Sunday, really worth being opened huh?