Really Weird Question (About "Supernatural" Stuff)

jb68711

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright... so this is a really weird question, but I hope that some people will have more rational explanations for it. Someone once told me that animals are known to see things that we can't see; entities, ghosts, spirits or whatever you want to call it. Well I don't really believe or not believe in any of that kind of thing, I just don't really put much thought into it.

But from time to time... my cat's behavior makes me wonder. There are times when he will stare off at something that doesn't appear to be there, but he is so focused that I can tell he sees something. And sometimes I'll get up and look closer, to see if it's a bug or something... but there's just nothing there. And then my cat is a really hyper cat, which I've accepted as normal... but then there are times when he goes BESERK beyond normal, and he's running and jumping all over the place making the biggest commotion. He'll jump on the couch and pounce at something (again not visible), and then quickly jump to another part and pounce at it again, as if it's moving and he's trying to catch it. And in that instance, I know it wouldn't be a bug because it's just not feasible for a bug to move from that great of a distance in 2 seconds.

The scariest though... is when he's facing me and all of a sudden his back starts to arch and his hair starts to stand and his tail fluffs up (Which I'm sure most of you would know is a sign of sudden fear). I can see him looking past me, and I'll turn around and there's nothing there. There was no sudden noise or anything like that.

Anyway... is this just me, or does anyone else have similar experiences? And has anyone found an explanation for it?

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Huckleberry is adorable! What a little doll.

It could be something ghost-related. Or it could be that Huckleberry has an overactive imagination! Maybe he's imaginging that he sees prey or predators simply to keep himself occupied.
For example, my cats will attack each other out of the blue for no reason except to play. It's like a release of built-up energy.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats all suddenly stop whatever they are doing and stare at the wall or ceiling, when I can hear nothing! It is very unnerving, especially when thery all do it at once! You KNOW there must be something there. But I am sure they are hearing something inside the wall, a mouse or even bugs. I did have a small bird fly out of a tiny hole in my wall once, so I know things can get in there. In older houses it is inevitable.

raju

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup my kitty does this
yesterday he looked into thin air and
start hissing and jumping on it then
he hide

Really freaky

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a topic about this around a month ago, I think it was titled "What is she seeing? " or something similar. In most cases it's just a cat being a cat, they do weird things will never entirely understand.

While animals can sense things we can't you shouldn't go around jumping at shadows cause your kitty is staring into space. If there's other definite things happening that make you think that it might be a possiblity, fine. But first rule out bugs, birds, mice/rats, air in the pipes, drafts making weird noises, etc.
When my kitty Sho starts intently staring at at the floor/corners I've learned it's a good idea to move everything and check, he's a wonderful scorpion finder!

While I have had animals in the past react to not so natural occurances usuaslly it was long after had I already noticed and was running from the room with the cat or dog on my heels.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many of my cats have done this at times. My first cat, Mitten, pays a visit once in awhile (twice that I know of). He's been dead since 1983.

One time when I had several rexes in the house, several of them all of a sudden stopped and was looking in the corner of the living room. I didn't think anything of it but later that day I was "cat napping" with the bedroom door closed - NO cats were in the room - they were asleep in the living room on the back of the sofa. I "felt' a cat jump on the bed, walk about 1/2 way up and lay down behind me - could feel the body warmth. I slowly turned over thinking it was one of the rexes - there was NO cat in the room - but the indentation of a "body". The door was still closed - I looked all around, under the bed, etc. - NO cat.

The "body" had to have been Mitten. I got up, went downstairs and all of the rexes were still curled up on the back of the sofa!

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay Goldenkitty has officially freaked me out! LOL I have had the sense of a cat on the bed before but since I have no deceased cats I wrote it off to me being half-asleep.

I have had the same issues with my cats staring at "nothing" or freaking out at "nothing." I am on board that they are seeing/sensing something that is not there.

When they are staring at the wall though - I'm pretty positive they are hearing something inside the wall like wind, bugs, mice (i hope not!!) etc.

Right after a death in our family, Penelope stared beyond my husband for over an hour with a curious expression on her face. It was his family member who had passed, and I was sensing something myself in the room. I think she saw something for sure!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's some people that believe cats can actually sort of "astrally project " themselves, sort of far out there, but with all the mythicism and significance surrounding cats in past religions and in other cultures it's not that surprising people would consider it.
In the house I spent most of my childhood-teen years in there was always odd things. Sometimes little things, sometimes big not so nice things.
Once I was sitting on my bed and saw our grey cat run in my room and into the adjoining bathroom (there was a litter box in there), a couple of minutes later I saw the exact same thing. Upon checking there was only one cat in the bathroom. That one had me scratching my head. To this day I'm not sure what that was, I sort of figured at the time the house was just messing with me again.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JB68711

Alright... so this is a really weird question, but I hope that some people will have more rational explanations for it.
Someone once told me that animals are known to see things that we can't see;
entities, ghosts, spirits or whatever you want to call it. Well I don't really believe or not believe in any of that kind of thing, I just don't really put much thought into it.

But from time to time... my cat's behavior makes me wonder. There are times when he will stare off at something that doesn't appear to be there, but he is so focused that I can tell he sees something. And sometimes I'll get up and look closer, to see if it's a bug or something... but there's just nothing there. And then my cat is a really hyper cat, which I've accepted as normal... but then there are times when he goes BESERK beyond normal, and he's running and jumping all over the place making the biggest commotion. He'll jump on the couch and pounce at something (again not visible), and then quickly jump to another part and pounce at it again, as if it's moving and he's trying to catch it. And in that instance, I know it wouldn't be a bug because it's just not feasible for a bug to move from that great of a distance in 2 seconds.

The scariest though... is when he's facing me and all of a sudden his back starts to arch and his hair starts to stand and his tail fluffs up (Which I'm sure most of you would know is a sign of sudden fear). I can see him looking past me, and I'll turn around and there's nothing there. There was no sudden noise or anything like that.

Anyway... is this just me, or does anyone else have similar experiences? And has anyone found an explanation for it?
Way back when, I had a small dog and used to take slide photos (before the digital era). Yes, way back when, as in setting up a screen and projecting the photos. I had lived in Japan and when I brought my slides back to show to my family the same strange thing would occur every time without exception. The dog would be at my feet and the family would be watching the slides until I hit the picture of the large Buddah statue. It never failed that my dog would get the bristle up on his back and start growling. It even got to the point I could say "OK, now watch what Cyclone is going to do when I show this next slide" and it would happen.

My experiences with cats have been no different. I have no idea what, but they certainly appear to see and feel things that I do not. OK, let's have some real scary music here.)

butterflyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had an experience that really freaked me out a few years back. I was living by myself in an apartment at the time. I had 2 dogs, Sassy who is still with me, and Vlad who has since departed. I came home from work and was taking a nap, it was about 7pm. I had the light in the hallway on and my door was open.

Now, I have some really weird dreams, which is a whole different topic in itself hehe, but ever since I was a teenager I would always have dreams of like a shadowy figure watching me while I was sleeping...sometimes it actually leans over and gets close up in my face and just watches me. You know those kind of dreams that happen in the actual room you are in while you are sleeping, so it feels SO real?

Well, for years those "dreams" freaked me out, but I got used to them with time. Ok so back to the apartment and the nap. I was sleeping and Vlad was snuggled up with me at the top of the bed as usual, and Sassy was sleeping at the foot of my bed, kind of in the middle. I started having a dream that was happening in my room again, like it was real.

Sassy is a very quiet passive dog. Not much can get her to bark, play, growl...she just likes to be close to you and be pet and loved and is very laid back. I was having a dream that the shadowy figure was coming into the room from the hallway...and I was woken up by Sassy growling for real in real life, not the dream. I sat up and saw the figure, leaning over at the edge of the bed closest to the hallway trying to reach out and touch Sassy, and I actually felt the weight of its hand on the bed!

The hair on Sassy's back was standing up and she was growling, staring RIGHT at this thing. Had it not been for that I would have brushed it off as another dream, but she definitley saw the same thing in the same area of the room as I did. It vanished in a matter of seconds, and I vanished from my apartment shortly thereafter for the night lol.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar does this type of thing all the time- I always figured it was just him chasing dust... Sure is freaky to watch

He is a strange cat anyway so who knows

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

There was a topic about this around a month ago, I think it was titled "What is she seeing? " or something similar. In most cases it's just a cat being a cat, they do weird things will never entirely understand.
Yepp!
That was me on Singa's behavior...
Here in Asia ghosts are a big thing and it doesn't help that my BF (who is local) believes in it hands down.
Singa was chasing after something and then ran to the balcony window and stared out into the wide open... a ghost??? He believes so... but as longa s she isnt hiding and hissing it mus be a 'good" ghost!

But how old is your cat may I ask? Singa used to freak me out with her behavior when she was still more or less kitten age. Arching her back, doing the halloween walk (as someone called in this forum).
I think they really have a huge amount of imagination. Seriously, I would too if I were a cat...
Nothing to do all day except sleep and play with yourself

But she did freak me out when I was wearing my new PJs (dark braown with big white flowers) and she arched her back, spiked up her hair and went dashing underneath the couch when she saw me the first 2 days...
..and it really isnt THAT ugly!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
goes with having a cat or dog i guess.
once heyu was playing on the bed, she stopped got all puffy, and started to hiss at the door way. even kinda made me go what the heck is going on

barbieboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
JB68711,
I totally understand your concern, and yes, I believe cats do "see" things beyond. It is scary to see my Aby, Molly, stare and stare, while I look and there SEEMS to be nothing there. She is FOCUSED, too! Now here's something REALLY unsettling: A week or so ago, both Molly and Naomi, (my other cat) were staring in the exact same direction, at a blank wall, which was on the right side of me. They both were unblinking. I started holding my breath, I don't know why. I kept real still, also. (I think I was trying real hard to hear something, knowing that their hearing is sooooo much more acute! Then, they both started "making themselves big" like cats try to do when scared, and they both just kept right on staring. All this, I would say, took place for about 15 to 20 or even 25 seconds. Finally, without moving, I very calmly, but quite loudly, said, "get out of here whatever you are!" The cats kept staring for about 4 to maybe 8 seconds, and then, they both turned away at the same time, "unfluffing themselves" and Molly started licking her paws, while Naomi just nonchalantly turned her head and looked out the window. Both just "turned off" as if nothing ever happened, and here I was, all freaked out...lol. So, I don't know what that means, but it is very freaky, and it has happened more than once.
When the lion sneezed, the cat was born.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Butterflyy

I was having a dream that the shadowy figure was coming into the room from the hallway...and I was woken up by Sassy growling for real in real life, not the dream. I sat up and saw the figure, leaning over at the edge of the bed closest to the hallway trying to reach out and touch Sassy, and I actually felt the weight of its hand on the bed!
lol.
I HATE the shadow figures! The darn thing would pop up when I least expected it and just stand there.

Originally Posted by x-ta-Z

But she did freak me out when I was wearing my new PJs (dark braown with big white flowers) and she arched her back, spiked up her hair and went dashing underneath the couch when she saw me the first 2 days...
..and it really isnt THAT ugly!
Maybe she prefers stripes to floral print?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I "felt' a cat jump on the bed, walk about 1/2 way up and lay down behind me - could feel the body warmth.
We have a ghost kitty in our house as well, not sure who it is as we are on our first batch of cats. We think it may be Missy's twin.
We feel it jump on the bed, rub on our legs etc. Our cats like her and seem to play with her.
She doesn't like the dog, he'll be laying down and suddenly yelp like he's been swatted on the nose when no cats are around (and they don't do that anyway)

sweatereyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually have some interesting input for this topic!

Dante, who lives with me at my apartment, and I sometimes goes to my parents house. Now growing up, my house is weird, too many unexplainable things have happened in it. (but i won't get into that).

Anywho, when ever i bring dante home he'll start to act up. He is a very laid back cat, who is definately not very vocal (in fact at the apartment he rarely rarely meows or anything). But at the house he would just sit there, then he would hiss at absolutely nothing, and he makes this horrible screachy noises that he has NEVER made at the apartment.

at first i just thought he was worked up from the car ride but i've brought him other places, and he only does it at my parent's house! plus, its the only place he'll go and sleep right up snuggled on my stomach (normally he'll go near my feet).

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FiftyFour

This thread is scaring the daylights outta me
Naaawwwww...... Dan't worry! I gave up on thinking there is a ghost in my place....
Though I did hear voices... and so did my BF, but I think it was just coming from the apartment over me...

I seriously think cats see air move.... there are no ghost really....

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Butterflyy

I had an experience that really freaked me out a few years back. I was living by myself in an apartment at the time. I had 2 dogs, Sassy who is still with me, and Vlad who has since departed. I came home from work and was taking a nap, it was about 7pm. I had the light in the hallway on and my door was open.

Now, I have some really weird dreams, which is a whole different topic in itself hehe, but ever since I was a teenager I would always have dreams of like a shadowy figure watching me while I was sleeping...sometimes it actually leans over and gets close up in my face and just watches me. You know those kind of dreams that happen in the actual room you are in while you are sleeping, so it feels SO real?

Well, for years those "dreams" freaked me out, but I got used to them with time. Ok so back to the apartment and the nap. I was sleeping and Vlad was snuggled up with me at the top of the bed as usual, and Sassy was sleeping at the foot of my bed, kind of in the middle. I started having a dream that was happening in my room again, like it was real.

Sassy is a very quiet passive dog. Not much can get her to bark, play, growl...she just likes to be close to you and be pet and loved and is very laid back. I was having a dream that the shadowy figure was coming into the room from the hallway...and I was woken up by Sassy growling for real in real life, not the dream. I sat up and saw the figure, leaning over at the edge of the bed closest to the hallway trying to reach out and touch Sassy, and I actually felt the weight of its hand on the bed!

The hair on Sassy's back was standing up and she was growling, staring RIGHT at this thing. Had it not been for that I would have brushed it off as another dream, but she definitley saw the same thing in the same area of the room as I did. It vanished in a matter of seconds, and I vanished from my apartment shortly thereafter for the night lol.
Wow that is intense! You scared me!