TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Static & Cats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Static & Cats

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Just wondering if there is anything that can be done. I feel guilty trying to pet my cats as it seems everytime I go to pet them I'm shocking them It's getting to the point where they see me coming and they scream
We heat with wood heat so that doesn't help and getting a humidifer at this point is out of the question. Is there anything that I can do????
post #2 of 22
Static gets really bad here in the winter because of the dry climate, so I have the same issue.

Dryer sheets in the laundry are a must or I can see sparks flying around the house.
I rub the cats down with an unscented dryer sheet about once a week, it really helps.

Simply simmering a tea kettle on the stove will help with humidity, or a small aquarium or tabletop fountain.
post #3 of 22
I am having the same problem
I was a little hesitant about rubbing them with dryer sheets but the unscented ones sound like a good idea
post #4 of 22
the pot of water on the stove trick really helps a bunch, and I have noticed my small aquariam going down quicker...also my pet fountain does too.
I'm springing for a humidifyer myself! I can't stand the dry hands and feet anymore...plus, shorthaired cats shouldn't have mohawlks when you're finished petting them lol
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Well when your temps are sitting at -43 and -36 for days on end its not hard for the water levels to go down as we need to have the fires burning regular. We just have other things like a water pump so we can get water drawn from our well which is going to cost us a pretty penny...etc etc...you know the drill...I will try the kettle on the stove and see if that doesn't help some.
post #6 of 22
You could try rubbing them down with a damp washcloth before you pet them--just slightly damp, not so much that they end up really wet. I'm catsitting for a coworker, and his house is apparently really dry. I've zapped the poor cat so many times that he gives me the evil squint when he sees my hand approaching. I tried wetting my hand and then petting him, but I just ended up with a hand covered in fur. But if I had tried wetting the cat instead of my hand, it might have worked.
post #7 of 22
Being as it's quite damp here it doesn't happen too often to me, but one incident I remember - Radar leapt onto my chest for cuddles, went to headbut me in the face, and we both got a shock - him on the ear and me on the lips - OUCH! Fortunately he seemed to realise that it hurt me as much as it hurt him.

Having a lot of houseplants around can really help - obviously be very careful to ensure that they are not toxic!
post #8 of 22
Yeah! I was just going to say that this is the 3rd time I've had to water these tiny african violets this week...houseplants are a great idea (and of course clean the air).
the kettle works, and I use a pot because my kettle is electric and it has more surface area to let steam out of.
much luck!
post #9 of 22
Quote:
shorthaired cats shouldn't have mohawlks when you're finished petting them lol



that was so funny!!

I learned from My SIL to touch metal before you touch the cat, and it takes out the electricity. I think it works, but you have to carry a spoon around the house.
post #10 of 22
you know I dont think I´d ever heard of this before I do have a lot of house plants and always have, so maybe thats why I´ve never been troubled with static !
Fascinating thread, love the thing about using dryer sheets - humm, scented kitties - nice
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooficat View Post
you know I dont think I´d ever heard of this before I do have a lot of house plants and always have, so maybe thats why I´ve never been troubled with static !
Fascinating thread, love the thing about using dryer sheets - humm, scented kitties - nice
LOL I'm not sure how safe the scented ones are
I'm not convinced the unscented ones are entirely safe either, but it was on advice from a vet, not a vigorous rub down, just a wipe
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post



that was so funny!!

I learned from My SIL to touch metal before you touch the cat, and it takes out the electricity. I think it works, but you have to carry a spoon around the house.
Why oh why did I just picture that hanging off the end of your nose?? I can just see it now "uhhh. Why do you have that spoon on your nose?" "Static" "oh"
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Why oh why did I just picture that hanging off the end of your nose?? I can just see it now "uhhh. Why do you have that spoon on your nose?" "Static" "oh"


could you imagine? gives a whole new meaning to
'born with a silver spoon"
post #14 of 22
I find that when i am getting zapped touching them, it's because my own hands are dry. If i use a good hand lotion and let it sink in, i can pet them with no zapping.
post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post


could you imagine? gives a whole new meaning to
'born with a silver spoon"
You two are the funniest...
I can just picture people walking around with spoons stuck to their noses

I will try the cream, they really don't like it when I grab their side to give them a good skin rub that they get zapped zapped and zapped again.
post #16 of 22
I hate getting shocked in the winter! It always scares me so bad, so I can't imagine what the cats must think. I zapped one of my cats pretty bad the other day and it scared us both, now he is hesitant to come near me when I want to pet him, and I can't say I blame him hehe.
post #17 of 22
I'm having the same problem, but my long hair Isaac gets it the worst. If I pet him in the dark I can actually see the little blue shocks in his hair.
post #18 of 22
It's not just cats that suffer - in my old job we had metal filing cabinets and synthetic carpets - and on 2 occasions I got shocked so badly that I had visible burns on my hands. I always hated doing the filing anyway, that was too much for me, I now adopt the 'volcanic pile on the desk' approach to paperwork management just in case - filing is a health and safety risk
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epona View Post
It's not just cats that suffer - in my old job we had metal filing cabinets and synthetic carpets - and on 2 occasions I got shocked so badly that I had visible burns on my hands. I always hated doing the filing anyway, that was too much for me, I now adopt the 'volcanic pile on the desk' approach to paperwork management just in case - filing is a health and safety risk
I get the same problem! I also think that it's me with the static problem, not the cats!

Maybe I should start rubbing myself down with a dryer sheet?
post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar View Post
I get the same problem! I also think that it's me with the static problem, not the cats!

Maybe I should start rubbing myself down with a dryer sheet?
ME TOO!!!!....but we can used scented....hmmmmm think they have Salmon scented???? Then my kitties will be all over me.... instead of backing away from me like I'm a monster about to eat them
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by furry4fury View Post
ME TOO!!!!....but we can used scented....hmmmmm think they have Salmon scented???? Then my kitties will be all over me.... instead of backing away from me like I'm a monster about to eat them
True - we'll have to get sniffing the sheets in the shops to find our favourite! Who need expensive perfumes when you can have dryer sheets?

If you find salmon ones, send some my way!
post #22 of 22
I always liked the smell of dryer anyway! Soooo cuddily (and we want to promote the cuddles!)
I got my humidifier today, it's the cheapest one they had, but I can feel a difference in the air after only half an hour. Dynah was shocking herself while kneeding a blanet last night It's all better now!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Static & Cats