Any painters?

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been awhile since I've dabbled with my oil paints and I've noticed a real fishy smell. Do oil paints have fish oils in them and because they say so long the odor just... festered???

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to paint too...it's been a loooonnnnggggg time, though. Don't know about the fishy oil paint, however. Slap some on your canvas, and see if it dries with the smell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat is lovin' the smell. She has never been so attentive.

clu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually oil paints used to be made of egg (or they might still be, not sure). That's what my oil painting teacher said on Friday.

clu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

That's one type of paint I've not tried but I would like to. I need to find some place for lessons!
If you have a hobby lobby/Jo ann fabrics near you just go into the store and ask them if they have any classes. Some smaller art stores might also offer classes.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I paint with acrylics and water color, and have noticed off smells in old acrylics before. A slightly soured or just not quite right smell, usually there's some seperation in it too.
What's the shelf life on oils? Is it all of them or just a few that smell weird?
I can't remember what the emulsion is in oils, it may be a type of synthetic gum as it is in other paints.

clu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The shelf life is different with every brand. I know one person that has had oil paint in tubes for 15 years.