How Long Before Tapeworm Is Gone???

b842001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone ever hear of ALBON for tapes????? As you may have read in previous post my 13 week old kitten has tapeworm, yesterday he was started on Albon (sulfadimethoxine) by his vet. I read on here a post that stated that treatment with something was fast. He was put on this med because he also has coccidia and the vet said that it was nessessary to use albon to treat both.Does anyone know how long it takes to get rid of these **** worms?? My vet said 5 day! 5 days is to long i am sick of cleaning these thisgs up!!!!!

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Albon actually does not treat tapeworms - it's mostly used for coccidia. Tapeworm is only susceptible to prazaquantel, available from your vet either as Droncit (which only treats tapeworms) or Drontal (a broad spectrum dewormer). Two treatments a couple of weeks apart should be enough to take care of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

b842001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you a vet, if its not for tapes then why did the vet give me this med and say it would take care of the tapes as well? This isnt no fly by night vet this is a well known animal hospital in my area .The digagnosis was for both.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Semi feral isnt a vet but she is experienced and would know
... Did the vet give your cat a pill??? some vets give drontel at the visit time over sending it with you

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Semi feral isnt a vet but she is experienced and would know
... Did the vet give your cat a pill??? some vets give drontel at the visit time over sending it with you
Yes, is it possible he gave your cat the tapeworm pill as well as the other medication? If in doubt, you could always call and ask them.

b842001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didnt take the cat in, only a stool sample and the sesame seed looking things which they said was tapes, they stressed how some give meds without testing stool and how important this was before giving a med. The cat does not have diarhea never did, i told them this, not one but 3 people there looked at the stool results and agreed it was coccidia. I asked if this would take care of the tapes and was told yes.I called back today and asked how long it would take to take care of the tapes and was told 5 days.As i said this is a very reputable animal hosp.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by b842001

I didnt take the cat in, only a stool sample and the sesame seed looking things which they said was tapes, they stressed how some give meds without testing stool and how important this was before giving a med. The cat does not have diarhea never did, i told them this, not one but 3 people there looked at the stool results and agreed it was coccidia. I asked if this would take care of the tapes and was told yes.I called back today and asked how long it would take to take care of the tapes and was told 5 days.As i said this is a very reputable animal hosp.
Antibiotics DONT KILL worms... Albon is a antibiotic

b842001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Antibiotics DONT KILL worms... Albon is a antibiotic
You arent answering my question, please dont post comments Then why didnt my vet prescribe something in addition??????

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I WOULD call your vet and find out ... we arent vets on here and sometimes you get answers you dont want

b842001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I see am still seening them tomarrow I am calling back, I am tired of cleaning this stuff up, now long does it take when other meds are given before you stop seeing them.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
when given a wormer usually a few days as the segments are excreted ....

b842001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just am a bit frustraited as to why they wouldnt give a wormer if he has both as diagnosed as printed on the reciept, they said it was both so why would you just treat one? I guess I will call on monday either way, as i said this is a very good vet. They said the reason they still needed to run the stool test even though it looked like tapes was because it was necessary to determine if anything else was present and this would determine the method of treatment to be used .

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just am a bit frustraited as to why they wouldnt give a wormer if he has both as diagnosed as printed on the reciept, they said it was both so why would you just treat one? I guess I will call on monday either way, as i said this is a very good vet. They said the reason they still needed to run the stool test even though it looked like tapes was because it was necessary to determine if anything else was present and this would determine the method of treatment to be used .
Just because a hospital is well regarded doesn't mean mistakes are never made. The biggest hospital in my city is certainly the most well regarded but it's also notorious for making huge mistakes with animals - that's why I don't go there and will never work there even though I am an (unlicensed) veterinary technician and generally prefer to work at large hospitals.

So that's why it's important to have knowledgeable people to communicate with, so that you can ask questions and have them answered. As you can see we never hesitate to say "ask your vet" around here but we're also very happy to share whay we do know.

fr gregg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
that no matter how good the medication is...and how quickly it kills the tapeworms...that often the cat 'cleans' herself a LOT and when cleaning ingests the small tapes (rice-like pieces of tape) and re-infects the body. For this reason, it is usually necessary to have several treatments to rid the cat of ALL the tapeworms. My vet gave Dulcinea a shot...followed by a pill and then another shot several weeks later. Now the tapeworms are indeed all gone. This process took about three months...and I suppose that it is very possible that she could become RE-infected if she ingests flees she finds around. Hope that this helps.

Fr. Gregg

b842001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called the vets emergency line because I wanted my cat treated and after I read the info from you all and the Albon site I felt there was a mistake made and yes there sure was.The assistant vet answered and after telling her she said yes they were supposed to give me a pill as well and apologized. I couldnt be upset with her since she was not even there that day. She gave me 2 pills and said if I see more segments in 10 days to give the 2nd pill.I gave him the 1st dose at 9:30 AM and have not seen any around since, I have read that this pill works fast ,what experience have you all had with this medicine?

b842001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave him the pill at 9 30 am now at 5pm he had a loose bowl movement,this is the 1st loose one he has had up until giving the DRONTAL they were normal he also had his ALBON this morning, ate well today. Now can the loose bowl movement be from the DRONTAL? I am loosing my mind!!!

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I gave him the pill at 9 30 am now at 5pm he had a loose bowl movement,this is the 1st loose one he has had up until giving the DRONTAL they were normal he also had his ALBON this morning, ate well today. Now can the loose bowl movement be from the DRONTAL? I am loosing my mind!!!
That can be a side effect of Drontal. I would just watch him, and see if it continues.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's normal to have loose stool after deworming. Basically the worms are dead and the body is trying to get rid of them. It should go away in a couple of days.

kitte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, when I first got Spaz he was heavily infested with tape. One worm paste treatment later he was feeling very sorry for himself and passed very loosely until all the worm bodies were gone and then he cleared up and poops as normal as possible for a kitten... with a paste, I always do two treatments if they're heavily infested, first one and then 10-14 days later another treatment to ensure any ingested eggs or parts also die.

Drontal is fast acting, I'd probably give cat the second tablet regardless... but that's just me, make sure you investigate any possible side-effects from Drontal and watch for them.