Need Opinion on Mom's 50th BD Pressie

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Mom will be the 'big 50' this March and she's rather excited. She wants a big party and everything. I want to get her something special this year so I'm starting now!

So far my best thought is Jewelry. I'd like whatever we find to be something that could be a keepsake/heirloom or something like that. I'm sure we are going to have a party and I'm planning on putting her picture in the paper too. But I could use some suggestions for gifts!

Mom collects Angels and Sheep. She's a romantic person, affectionate, loves cooking. She works for the same company I do helping people find jobs. She's also a sign language instructor and an interpreter. Her favorite movie of all time is the version of Romeo and Juliette that came out when she was young (the Titanic of her time!). She's very crafty and creative. So far for jewelry I'm thinking either aquamarine for her birthstone or pearl because that is another 'stone' we have come to cherish because my Grandmother loves it so much. She already has a family ring with my step-siblings and my birthstone in it. She also has a teddy bear set with all of our names embroidered on each Bear's outfit according to gender. I could look for a family ring that has my Grandparent's birthstones (Garnets) with her aquamarine. I might go for other stones as well. I'm willing to spend up to $150 though I'd like to keep it at $100 or less.

So any ideas? I could get her more than 1 thing of course, I just want this to be the best birthday she's ever had! I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas you might come up with. I need to catch my step-dad at an appropriate time to see what he's planning so far. He usually comes up with nice stuff (the family ring and bears were from him).

Here are links to the 2 rings I've found so far:
Oh phoo....the link wouldn't work. I'll try this www.qvc.com Product # J24203

That ring I love because it's kind of an old-world romantic design which she would like.

www.qvc.com Product # J10549

This one is more modern style, but still elegant and I like the size of the stone.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if your mom is the type that would wear a charm bracelet but that may be an idea. Have everyone in your family and her close friends chose a charm that reminds them of a special time or event with her. That may be a good "group gift" idea. In any case, wish your mom a happy b-day for me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A charm bracelet is a cool idea! I dont think she has one but I can see her wearing one!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well don't I feel old as I turn 50 in July!!!
Personally since I am the youngest compared to my BIL/SIL-they are "expecting" a party. I'm sure I will get the requiste gag gifts in which I wish people would not spend there money on that kind of stuff!!
If someone was buying me a gift....well a nice spa pkg would be nice.
My twin would like to take a small trip somewhere TBD though.
I would recommend having a nice breakfast-perhaps OJ and champagne. Don't let her do any planning, cleaning, cooking. If you are getting a cake I would (personally again) rather have a smaller specialty cake from a good bakery than a plain jane sheet cake.
If she likes cooking someone could splurge for a Le Crueset cookware piece or a really good knife (Wusthof Santoku for instance) Yes it sounds practical but would be very useful.
If I think of anything else I'll post more!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Almost every year I made my mom a chiffon cake with marchino cherries (no lemmon flavor, yuck!). When we lived in NY my Grandma always made her that cake so I took up that tradition here. I may make her one still, but I was thinking of contacting a bakery for a better one for a party. I can't stand plain sheet cakes usually. The cookware is a good idea too! They are getting ready to remodel the kitchen, which she desprately needs!

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your mom's bday!

I too will turn the big 50 in October and the Romeo & Juliette I can remember when I was a kid was the one by Fraco Zeffereli (?) starring Olivia Hussey as Juliettte & Leonard Whitting as Romeo...not sure about all those spellings. It was a beautiful movie...you can probably find it online somewhere.

I know the big 50 is a big thing and something lovely like a piece of jewelry would be appropriate, if that's what your mom likes. For my part, I love it when my kids actually create something for me...Naomi being an artist and poet usually draws something beautiful for me and those are the most special gifts I've ever received. Alex Jr,...although he hasn't done this in a while...is also an artist and has gifted me with some amazing and very special creations.

Hilda >^..^<

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^<

Congratulations on your mom's bday!

I too will turn the big 50 in October and the Romeo & Juliette I can remember when I was a kid was the one by Fraco Zeffereli (?) starring Olivia Hussey as Juliettte & Leonard Whitting as Romeo...not sure about all those spellings. It was a beautiful movie...you can probably find it online somewhere.

I know the big 50 is a big thing and something lovely like a piece of jewelry would be appropriate, if that's what your mom likes. For my part, I love it when my kids actually create something for me...Naomi being an artist and poet usually draws something beautiful for me and those are the most special gifts I've ever received. Alex Jr,...although he hasn't done this in a while...is also an artist and has gifted me with some amazing and very special creations.

Hilda >^..^<
That is exactly the movie I'm talking about. I can never remember their names till I hear them. I got the movie on VHS for her a few years back, but I bet it's on DVD now too. I'm actually reading a book set in the rennicance period so I'm in the mood to watch it myself. Might have to find 2 copies on DVD!

I love the name Naomi by the way! I plan on naming my first daughter that!

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to help!

Naomi! oh yes, I love the name too...almost as much as I love my daughter!
When she was little though, we called her Mimi...nowadays I call her Mima

Hilda >^..^<

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I know exactly what version of Romeo and Juliet she's talking about and it was amazing! I like the ring idea, and does she perhaps own that movie on DVD? If not, that would be a great tuck-in! How about some more sheep or angels for her collection?

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about getting together with some other family members and purchase a cruise or some other type of "getaway" for her?

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was a really cool link. I was there forever!!!
I can only offer up funny gag type stuff which I know is not what you are looking for. But I do agree with quite a few of the suggetions already offered up! I hope you have a wonderful time and find the perfect gift for her!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions. I"m at Mom's now and while she was in the bathroom I got a few minutes to discuss her BD with my step-dad. He likes the idea of a Romeo & Juliette theme party. Our church has a fellowship hall that's probably 20'x35' so he is going to see about having a party there. My junior prom was themed 'Ever After' and we used this paper that made the walls look like castle walls, to make a courtyard of one section of the school that was used. I'm going to try to find something like that and go from there. We're going to make invitations and make it semi-formal I think. My step-dad said it would be cool if we could get people to dress for the time period too, but I told him I don't think we'd get any of the men we know in tights! I may be needing help with wording that in the coming weeks.

EWWW! They are bein yucky in the other room!

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

Old people kissin'!!!
Bad image!
Heyyyyyyy!
Robin should be there since she thinks its cute when oldsters show affection

Oh I think a R&J themed party would be awesome! Sooo romantic! Of course everyone would have to be ok with the idea of it all. Maybe you could just get away with having the men were jeans with period tops & headware...maybe that would work somehow.

Good luck!
Hilda >^..^<

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm soooo excited about the party now. I've got lots of searching to do for appropriate decorations and what not. I'm really not sure how to go about dressing for it, so I think we may just have it as an occasion to dress up nice, like slacks and nice shirts for the guys, nice dresses for the girls. That may be easier to pull off. I guess we'll see!

I meant to get back on here last night and do some online decoration searching, but once I got home I fell asleep on the couch really early which is so not like me!

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's a pretty bracelet but does she wear bracelets? I'm 60 and I stopped wearing them long ago. I'm not saying 50+ should not wear them. Just that, for the most part, we don't.

JMO but although she may like to cook, the cookware is for her to cook/labor for someone else. You could all join in and do the cookware as a kitchen-warming gift. I think the birthday gift should be for her person alone, this birthday and all others, and if it's a ring, it should be her stone only to commemorate her birthday and/or preference.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

Old people kissin'!!!
Bad image!
shya! Be glad you never lived with thoes 2! There's a dent in my old bedroom ceiling they claimed I made by throwing my dictionary at the ceiling in the middle of the night! Actually the dent was there when we moved in! But I did throw my dictionary at the ceiling in the middle of the night once!