Your favorte Breed of cat?/ thinking of getting Bindi a playmate in the future.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all. its me Panther Pride. I was wondering what breed of cat would be best for someone who lives in an appartment or with other people in a group home setting.( Hope I can advance enough for the first choice) Bindi is a small cat still not full grown though, very fast and wild at times. He jumps up high on things and usealy doesnt come when you call him. I've been trying to help that. I like the Bagals wild looks and personalitys but would they be too bosterious for an apartment? Savannahs I've already sworn I'd never get because in my opinion the only ones that I prefear are the f1's f2's and I think there something morally wrong about keeping a semiwild animal the size of a savannah as a pet.(Just my opinion) They are beautiful creatures that I would love to draw but never to keep. ( I'm a great artist http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...ilies/clap.gif) Maine coons look nice but I'm not sure I'd be one to do all that brushing. Egyptian maus look nice too. Simease and Abys have persionalitys simlar to Bindi but seem to need too much social interaction for somdeone who plans on writing novels most of the day. Are there any good breeds for Bindi's persionaity type? Also a quiet breed of cat would be nice.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Ragdolls...or Ragamuffins, but there again, you're looking at some brushing. Maine Coons are my absolute favorite...and I do feel that Bengals are GORGEOUS, but would probably be too boisterous for a smaller apartment setting.

Why not just adopt a mellow domestic shorthair from a shelter? That way you can meet him/her, assess his or her personality in person, and go from there. There are too many of these babies in shelters, and not enough people offering homes to them...over half are of the millions that come into shelters are euthanized throughout a typical year.

Just a thought...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good idea, A bangal would cost alot and I do have a feeling money isnt going to be a very plentiful thing in my lifehttp://www.thecatsite.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif. I have heard of their engry levels Bindi is also high engry but maybe thats because he's still so young, plus I would be harness training them to take walks a bangal might attract unwanted attention. Though I do love their looks and pertsonaities as you do. This isnt going to happen for another two or three years, I was tinking about a friend for Bindi and found Bangals interesting I also like Torties( like trout, from Troutsmom) A main coon I feel would not only be alot of brushing but also might be too big and rough for Bindi. Bindi will probably never reach over 12 lbs. Tom is his playmate now as I still live with my dad but Tom is older,14 and I plan on teaching Bindi to walk on a harness this coming summer so his high engry play needs at met and Tom can rest in peace. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...ilies/clap.gif Maybe someday I'll write down his outdoor adventures into a book called Path of The Panther, adventures and reflections of living with a shorthair cat.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
personally i like persians
but being that i love the breed so much that I breed i could be biased. they are mid range active so good for playing with other kitties, in my personal experience generally do very well in a multi cat household
(we currently have 16 cats) they love their people but generally wont go about being super demanding about attention (of course it varies per kitty but)

So thats my personal thoughts anyways

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Panther pride

Good idea, A bangal would cost alot and I do have a feeling money isnt going to be a very plentiful thing in my lifehttp://www.thecatsite.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif. I have heard of their engry levels Bindi is also high engry but maybe thats because he's still so young, plus I would be harness training them to take walks a bangal might attract unwanted attention. Though I do love their looks and pertsonaities as you do. This isnt going to happen for another two or three years, I was tinking about a friend for Bindi and found Bangals interesting I also like Torties( like trout, from Troutsmom) A main coon I feel would not only be alot of brushing but also might be too big and rough for Bindi. Bindi will probably never reach over 12 lbs. Tom is his playmate now as I still live with my dad but Tom is older,14 and I plan on teaching Bindi to walk on a harness this coming summer so his high engry play needs at met and Tom can rest in peace. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...ilies/clap.gif Maybe someday I'll write down his outdoor adventures into a book called Path of The Panther, adventures and reflections of living with a shorthair cat.
I just want to mention that a tortoiseshell isn't a pedigree cat...it's just a regular domestic shorthair (or longhair) female that has the torti coat pattern. I myself own a wonderful little torti girl, Ripley. She's actually called a "mitted tortoiseshell," as she has a tuxedo-patterned head with white and black, a white chest, and white toe socks, and "soccer socks" on her back legs. The rest of her is the black/gold torti pattern...look out! These torti girls come with ATTITUDE, or as we lovingly refer to it on here, "tortitude"!
You will almost always find a torti girl in a local shelter...it's a very common coat pattern.

And when the time comes to adopt another kitty, don't pass up the opportunity to find a pedigree cat or kitten in a shelter...tons of pure-bred cats end up in these places. Persians, Bengals, Ragdolls, Siamese, Aby's, you name it.

I will always encourage anyone to search for a cat from a shelter or rescue group...it's truly the way to go. Save a life, and give a cat their forever home!

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Perisians need a lot of work, even more then a mane coon and personally I dont find their flat jawless faces that attractive. I was thinking of either a shelter cat or a Bangal. Anyone have any information on the breed I would be taking him outside on a harness reguarlly and he/she would have Bindi to play with while I was working. What are female cats like? never lived with one. Do boys and girls get along better then boy-boy girl-girl, Bindi is desexed.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...ilies/wink.gif

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Perisians need a lot of work, even more then a mane coon and personally I dont find their flat jawless faces that attractive. I was thinking of either a shelter cat or a Bangal. Anyone have any information on the breed I would be taking him outside on a harness reguarlly and he/she would have Bindi to play with while I was working. What are female cats like? never lived with one. Do boys and girls get along better then boy-boy girl-girl, Bindi is desexed.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...ilies/wink.gif
Yes, all cats should be altered. Particularly if they spend any time outdoors whatsoever, it's imperative. Mine are all strictly indoor cats, and each and every animal that sets foot in my home will ALWAYS be fixed.

I do think there is a difference in the sexes. I find my boys to be a bit more affectionate, sappy, and lovey-dovey with me on their own. My female, Ripley (the torti), is affectionate and sweet too, but it's more on her terms. She thinks (actually she KNOWS) she's the queen, and everyone must respect and admire her, and if she wants attention from me, she gets very vocal and demanding. When she wants something, she wants it NOW.

Here's my Ripley:

You can't see her torti markings, but you can see her "mittens"...her torti coloring is from head to tail, and underneath on her belly. This is NOT a good picture of Ripley, but it's all that I have at the moment to throw online.

The rule of thumb (at least the textbook version) goes something like this...if you have an older male, get a much younger female cat. If you have an older female, get another female. However, these rules don't always apply. My two boys (Fergus, who is 5, and Captain Steuben who is 11 months) became fast friends...Ripley basically finds Steuben uncultured and vile.

A Bengal could be trained to walk on a harness, although I personally don't have any experience with harnesses and cats. I know that if you walk a cat, they MUST be up to date on all vaccinations, and you must be able to ensure that the cat cannot get out of their harness, and away from you. Bengals are very high energy, and LOVE to play. They do make excellent indoor cats, if you can provide enough play and stimulation physically and mentally...they are also social cats, and thrive with a companion.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

sorry wasnt aware you were looking for something with little work. But yes if you keep their hair long it is alot of work. Alot of people give them lion cut shaves that keeps the work load off.

Just in defense of my chosen bred however, not all have flat jawless faces the doll faces (which is what i breed for) dont.

Good luck in your search.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
As wookie so aptly put it, torties do have "attitude!" We have a torbie, part tortie and part tabby, look at Neely below. But she is a very smart and very sweet girl. We adopted her from the same shelter where we found our beloved Sean. However, as ScamperFarms suggested, Persians are definitely a mellow and loving cat, look at Neeko below (gone to the bridge). With regards to grooming you can always take a persian kitty to the groomers if you don't want to take the extra time yourself. Another one of my favorite breeds which is also less maintenance than a Persian is the Birman. They don't mat and are very affectionate as well.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Neely

As wookie so aptly put it, torties do have "attitude!" We have a torbie, part tortie and part tabby, look at Neely below. But she is a very smart and very sweet girl. We adopted her from the same shelter where we found our beloved Sean. However, as ScamperFarms suggested, Persians are definitely a mellow and loving cat, look at Neeko below (gone to the bridge). With regards to grooming you can always take a persian kitty to the groomers if you don't want to take the extra time yourself. Another one of my favorite breeds which is also less maintenance than a Persian is the Birman. They don't mat and are very affectionate as well.
i just have to say your neeko was a beauty looks alot like my Maia Maia rescue

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

i just have to say your neeko was a beauty looks alot like my Maia Maia rescue
Aw shucks,
thank you so much. Someday we will have another Persian. But for the time being Neely is like having two cats in one!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'd first recommend a resuce because so many of them need homes. But I can't be too hypocritcal... I have two purebreds myself.

I love the Burmese breed. If you want to know more about them, read up about them or ask me.
I also love the personality of the Tonkinese. Siamese are too active and trouble-causing and can tend to be one-person cats. Burmese and Tonkinese are lap cats one minute, then doing olympic leaps in the air the next. My Burmese follows me around the house like a puppy dog... and I am not kidding. She is extremely affectionate and is the peacemaker in our house... she hasn't met another cat she didn't want to love on. She loves having kitty AND human companionship.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are a few facts on bengals:

Most are extremely owner oriented, males more so than females.

They are very loyal and bond closely with their owners. They get their feelings hurt easily, but recover quickly with love and praise.

They can be very bossy about things if allowed to get away with inappropriate behavior on a regular basis.

All are extremely athletic and have the ability to reach most any height in your home. They have boundless energy and need a daily release of this energy.

Bengals require at least 2 hours per day of your undivided attention. Play, petting, company, etc.

They can be easily trained to walk on a leash & harness and play fetch.

Most love new things. New people and events intrigue the curious bengal cat.
Think....trips to Petsmart, the Park..etc.

Did I mention, bengal cats need attention? Lots of it...they crave companionship. They are very nosey about everything.

Most of them don't like closed doors, they want access to everything. Most of mine, like water to some extent. Some just like playing in the sink, others like to get in the shower or tub full of water.

Most bengals are NOT lap cats. They are too busy for sitting in laps. On their own terms they will join you on the couch for some TV time, but usually next to you, not on your lap.

Bengals are very affectionate and will show it by head butting you and purring as you pet them. They have a large variety of trills and other noises to greet you and talk to you about.

They can be very vocal when they want something.

Bengals are rough on cat toys. The life expectancy of a cat toy with a bengal around, is about 1/4 of what it would be with most other cats.

Bengals need good sturdy cat trees for lounging and vertical activity. Sisal rope is a favorite for scratching.

These cats are wonderful companions, but not for everyone. They need lots of attention and and owner who is prepared to have a cat that needs nearly as much care as a dog. They are fun mischievous little characters that provide tons of fun and laughter.
Personally I can't imagine not having a bengal in my home.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think my Bindi might be part Burmense he has some of the facial features, and can be a loving lap cat and a fly by minate daredevil the next. He had a WILD kitten phase he would shoot out of our house and we'd have to chase him throughout the neigborhood. Bindi would also shoot up people's backs and was so small. He looked like he weighed only two pounds when I got him (7 weeks). He's clamed down alot but still sometimes shoots outside. Its frightening having to hunt for him in the dark. Thats why I think harness training might be good for him, he could enjoy the outdoors and still be safe.

What are bangals like? Do you guys know a Bangal rescue group?.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Russian blues. Jacob is part Russian blue and he's such a sweetie - very mellow,laid-back and affectionate. He just goes with the flow and loves everybody.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think my Bindi might be part Burmense he has some of the facial features, and can be a loving lap cat and a fly by minate daredevil the next. He had a WILD kitten phase he would shoot out of our house and we'd have to chase him throughout the neigborhood. Bindi would also shoot up people's backs and was so small. He looked like he weighed only two pounds when I got him (7 weeks). He's clamed down alot but still sometimes shoots outside. Its frightening having to hunt for him in the dark. Thats why I think harness training might be good for him, he could enjoy the outdoors and still be safe.

What are bangals like? Do you guys know a Bangal rescue group?.
Teri and Nial (Kai Bengals) are reputable breeders of GORGEOUS bengal cats, and answered many of your questions above...they are the experts!
Also, visit their wonderfully constructed web site for more info...they really are extraordinary cats, and we have another member on here who recently acquired little Takoda from them, a lovely bengal kitten.

If you are interested in someday rescuing a bengal, here is a list of web sites that you can visit that deal specifically with bengal rescue:
http://purebredcatbreedrescue.org/bengal.htm

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I'll keep it in mind. I poste before I realised a banger beeder had already posted. It's hard not to adopt a kitten but I think I'll get a young adult next time around. What are egyptian mau's like?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't specifically look for breeds but I definately like short or medium length hair better then long. I do love my Himmie Eliott but, and it isn't a breed, but plain old black cats are my favorite. I am a sucker for a black cat. Any breed with blue eyes I like too. Maybe I should say a Bombay.

I met a gorgeous Bengal at the shelter I worked at and she was an amazing cat, leash trained and everything. Those are a great breed to.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I don't specifically look for breeds but I definately like short or medium length hair better then long. I do love my Himmie Eliott but, and it isn't a breed, but plain old black cats are my favorite. I am a sucker for a black cat. Any breed with blue eyes I like too. Maybe I should say a Bombay.

I met a gorgeous Bengal at the shelter I worked at and she was an amazing cat, leash trained and everything. Those are a great breed to.
Bombays were bred with Burmese and American Shorthairs, so they share some of the same personality characteristics of each. They are gorgeous, but somewhat hard to find (at least in my area of the country), as are Egyptian Maus and Savannahs.

Try picking up a cat magazine. They often have a list of breeders in the back. Also check the cat organization websites for lists breeders registered with them.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to say the same thing, go to a shelter and save a life. You may find exactly what your looking for there, maybe not a purebred but one that looks the same.