Best Cat breed to be outside occasionally...HELP!

friendgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We lost our domestic shorthair this past summer and we miss her desperately. We live in 100 acres and would love to find out what cat breeds do "well" outside (only while we are out, NEVER to be just LEFT out....) I know that there are probably BIG issues here with a cat being left out, but i would love to know those of you who DO that sometimes and what breed kitty might be best for that. Thanks so much!

Also what breeds are highly trainable? We have been looking at Maine Coons, but not sure if they would fit in to this or not....Thanks!

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about rescuing 2 kittens from a shelter? I believe if you get young kittens, you can train them to be inside kitties, and even harness/leash train them. And you would be saving 2 kitties that might end up euthanized.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

friendgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why would i get two? I just want to get one and have looked at ALL the rescues i can look at in Texas. Thats why i am researching breeders and breeds. thanks

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two young kittens would have each other to play with inside when you are not around. Like the poster says - train them to walk on a harness/leash for some SUPERVISED outside time.

Most good breeders of any breed do NOT recommend their cats be outside cats - many state they are to be indoor cats only. If you really want to have a part-time outside cat, its much better to adopt from a shelter then to buy from a breeder and sign the contract then letting the cat outside against the breeder's wishes.

I bred cornish rexes - which are NOT outside cats - I had in my contract they were to be indoors only.

Charlie (our ocicat) would be very easily harnessed trained (its even stated in the breed articles how well they take to it). But the breeder wants them to be INSIDE cats - I would not train Charlie to be on a harness/leash and be outside anyway.

Even Ling (our barn kitty) is a totally inside cat - tho she sometimes sneaks outside - and we have to catch her and watch her inside when opening doors.

The only time my cats would have a sorta "outside" experience is an enclosed/screened in porch attached to the house - they can feel the breeze in the good weather but can't be roaming outside.

If you like the maine coon type of cats, you can find a "lookalike" in the shelters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

friendgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe it would be best if i reworded my question.

What breeds do well/better than others outside?

Thanks for the replies!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you are in Texas, most any breed would be ok with supervision - not left free to roam. Why can't you just adopt an older cat at the shelter and teach it to walk on a harness/leash?

Like I said almost any breeder of any purebred will NOT want them outside. So your best bet is to look in the shelters.

Have you checked Petfinder.com?

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might also consider that purebreds are expensive, and are easily stolen. Even a pretty cat that isn't purebred can be stolen (I had a beautiful calico get stolen once, even though she was a shelter kitty).

If you want to leash train, you're looking for a cat that responds quickly. You're also looking for a kitten, since adults are harder to train. You want a cat that will automatically "follow". I've had two of those cats in my life, oddly, both were neutered male orange tabbies. Both were leash trained and went on walks with me and my dog. One of them would even follow around the block with no leash.

(My little Princess, a tuxedo female, would also stay near me if I was outside, but she wasn't so much for the walking. She actually would stay near because outside scared her!)

I'd suggest going to the shelter, and asking to see friendly kittens that are not skittish in any way. Take them into a big room, go to the other end of the room, and call the kitten. It should come to you, praise and pet the kitten. Do this a couple times, then try calling the cat while you walk; see if it walks along. Reach down every few steps to give some pets and encouragement.

Some cats can still be trained with treats, but you really want one that does this just for attention.

You also want a kitten that is used to other cats, dogs, and people. A cat that has problems with any of these may be too skittish to do what you want. You want the cat to be relaxed, not flipping out at every sound.

If your kitty will do this much, harness training for outdoors will be easy.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can train an adult cat for harness/leash but he/she has to be pretty laid back and not afraid of new things. I taught Mitten (who we got off the streets at age 2 yrs old) to walk on a harness/leash. He didn't like the harness at first, but after a day or two was fine wearing it.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Like I said almost any breeder of any purebred will NOT want them outside. So your best bet is to look in the shelters.

Have you checked Petfinder.com?
Many shelters will not adopt cats to anyone who plans to let the cat outside, either. Many shelters also include it in their contracts and questionnaires.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know that - I can see if its allowed unsupervised, but the poster does say the cat will be supervised on leash, so its not so bad.

After all the shelters already got done picking up the cats from roaming, so I see where they are coming from.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My contract states that my kittens/cats are not allowed outside for any reason, including with supervision. IMO, when a cat gets used to the sounds and smells of the outdoors, the cat may accidently escape by someone opening the door. If the owner has young children, or a dog that needs to go in and out, cats can be sneaky, if they want out, and it is just my belief that no cat should be allowed to be outside for any reason.
I do think that the other posters were correct about 2 kittens entertaining each other while the humans are gone. Place some toys out, and scratching surfaces, and I would feel the kitten/cat would be fine be an indoor only cat without the boredom.
Good luck on your search, but please realize the problems that can occur when a kitten/cat gets used to the outdoors.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I'm understanding your question correctly - cat's aren't like dogs with specific breeds that might do better in specific situations. I think that any breed of cat (mix or purebred) would do ok in your climate outside. It seems that since you specifically put outside "only when you're out" that you know that NO breed would survive on their own outside without you. It's just too dangerous. But as far as one going outside when you go out - I think most any breed would do fine. Just make sure you get the "full boat" on vaccines to make sure they are safe from disease and such when you take them outside - and of course - keep a close eye on your baby.
Side note - the reason someone suggested 2 instead of one is that 2 usually keep each other very occupied and it's great to get them in pairs.
Good luck!

myfirstragdoll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a Ragdoll he loves going for walks on the leash. He never tries to go out by him self. Ragtimes how do you really know if your parents of you kittens dont take them out on leashes? I don't see the harm in letting them go for a walk.. I mean they are the parents of the kittens now, what gives you the right to say they can't?

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyFirstRagdoll

I have a Ragdoll he loves going for walks on the leash. He never tries to go out by him self. Ragtimes how do you really know if your parents of you kittens dont take them out on leashes? I don't see the harm in letting them go for a walk.. I mean they are the parents of the kittens now, what gives you the right to say they can't?
I believe you are speaking to me, Familytimerags. This was not part of my contract when I began breeding, however, in the years I have been breeding, I do know of one of my own breedings running out when the door was opened by their child, and he didn't stop until a car hit him. I have heard VERY similar stories from other Ragdoll breeders, and I have changed my contract to state that I do not allow my kittens/cats outdoors for any reason. I do very thorough checks on anyone adopting one of our kittens, and while no breeder can be positive, I do feel that I do get honest answers from our adoptive families, and I do educate them as to the reasons of why I disagree with a cat being allowed outdoors. As far as the parents of the kitten keeping them inside, you are right, I can only keep in contact, and hope that they heed my warning. If I find out my kitten/cat is allowed out, it will void our 4 year warranty. There many Ragdoll breeders that I know of, that agree that the Ragdoll should be an indoor only cat. If an adoptive family is that opposed to anything in my contract, I feel they can find another breeder. I want to make sure the kittens that are my responsibilty for the first 12-14 weeks old, go to the best families I can find, which means turning away some people.
If you have any other questions about my opinions or my beliefs about raising my kittens, please feel free to ask.
I am not putting anyone down for letting their cat/kitten out with supervision, but with that does come more responsibility, and I shared my opinion regarding letting cats outdoors, and that I do believe a cat is more likely to get out unnoticed, once they begin to familiarize themselves with the sounds and smells of the outdoors. IMO.

I also do not allow declawing, or certain vaccinations to be given, and with any contract, no breeder can be certain that they will do what they have agreed, but that is why many breeders, ask many personal questions to pet buyers, in the hopes to get to know them, and hope they will stay in contact with us for the lifetime of their kitten/cat.
I haven't yet had anyone have problems with our contract, except for some BYB wanting an unaltered kitten to have one litter, and of course we also have to turn those away.

Sincerely,
Stormi Nell
FamilytimeRags

myfirstragdoll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also signed a contract no declawing, inside only and can only feed Science Diet cat food. In which I found out isn't such a great food, switched to a better food. I was asked questions about cats going outside and was honest in saying that I would take him out on a leash. I never let him walk out the door I carry him so he wont be use to going out by himself. When he wants to out he knows where his leash is and drags it to me. I in no way think a cat any breed or moggie should be allowed to rome free. They are enough feral cats in the world without adding more. Sorry if I sounded a little argumentive, I just couldn't imagine not letting Hershey have his walk a day he'd be heart broken.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GK45-

I'm not aware of a shelter or rescue that is ok with cats being let outside, even high-kill shelters. Every facility I've ever worked with, including Animal Care & Control has an adoption release stating cats should be inside-only. We fine $500 when we find a cat has been outside (only exceptions being harness-trained cats on a HANDHELD and non-retractable leash and cats being transported in carriers)

See? We don't care about our cats any less than a breeder does

As far as the OP's question, cats are bred mostly for conformation rather than being "working" breeds like dogs. There are differences across the breeds, sure, but not in the situation you're describing. Cats, of any kind, will be equally easy to harness train and cats, again of any kind, aren't safe roaming off-leash, even if you're there to watch them. THe cat can run 30mph, so if someone or something spooks the cat, there's no hope of you catching it. I would recommend an article from CAT FANCY recently by our very own MA Miller on how to harness train. I've harness trained former ferals...it just takes time. THat way, you and kitty can enjoy the outdoors safely!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All the shelters here allow the cats to be outside .... but I DONT live IN the BIG CITY...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with keeping cats inside. When Mitten was indoor/outdoor - he was allowed outside during the day. Was fine for a few years. Then one day him and another male neighborhood cat got into a shouting match - they chased each other out into the street. Lucky no cat got hurt, but after that I decided that Mitten would only be outside if I was right there - no more total roaming freedom.

As I got into the cat fancy and into breeding I know its more important to make them inside cats - not outside. Outside as far as a screened in porch is fine. As a breeder, I too only had so much control. I had in my contract as indoors only and no declawing and of course spayed/neutered. As far as I know, everyone complied.

One of the questions I did ask was "how did your last cat die". If they mentioned about being outside, hit by a car, they would not get one of my kittens.

I've seen people have cats on harnesses outside sitting in the yard. I just don't see why people think that cats NEED to be outside. Spooky was 15 1/2 yrs old when he died - he was a happy cat his entire life INSIDE the house.

I suppose the ONLY thing breeders really have control over is to neuter/spay kittens before they leave and hope the owners comply with the contract.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not aware of a shelter or rescue that is ok with cats being let outside, even high-kill shelters. Every facility I've ever worked with, including Animal Care & Control has an adoption release stating cats should be inside-only. We fine $500 when we find a cat has been outside (only exceptions being harness-trained cats on a HANDHELD and non-retractable leash and cats being transported in carriers)
We want our cats to be indoors only for the most part...but we WILL adopt to a home that will provide supervised outdoor time. We encourage leash training or an enclosed outdoor enclosure or cat fencing.

Katie

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Friendgirl

We lost our domestic shorthair this past summer and we miss her desperately. We live in 100 acres and would love to find out what cat breeds do "well" outside (only while we are out, NEVER to be just LEFT out....) I know that there are probably BIG issues here with a cat being left out, but i would love to know those of you who DO that sometimes and what breed kitty might be best for that. Thanks so much!

Also what breeds are highly trainable? We have been looking at Maine Coons, but not sure if they would fit in to this or not....Thanks!
I would recommend you adopt an adult cat from a shelter that will allow for supervised outdoor time.

Katie