Why are some people so rude (rant)

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's very cold here & par for the course my car develops a HUGE anti-freeze leek. I can not get the cap off my antifreeze bottle. So I drive to the auto parts to buy anti-freeze & stupidly assume that they will take the 5 seconds to come out & help me get the cap off. At first she says wait 15 mins & as I'm standing there hands me a tool & says try this, if it doesn't work theres nothing we can do for you. I look at the young man behind the counter & say I know it comes off, so I just thought that he's stronger than I am & would be able to get it off. She basicly said no & tried to send me away. I try the tool it doesn't help one little bit so I go back put on the counter & walk out. At this point I'm frustrated, & go try again to remove it. At least 4 men walked passed me watched me stuggle & kept walking. Then a man got out of his car asked how I was & walked away. I can't help but think that if I was 6 feet tall 110 lbs & blonde they would have been standing in line to help me. Here's a little tip men if you see a woman struggling with her car just stop & ask if she needs help. It's the right thing to do & more than that it's what you would want someone to do if it was you wife, mother or daughter. I called my mom & just lost it because I'm frustrated enough without dealig with this

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't that frustrating? With this horribly cold weather, you'd think that people would empathize with you a bit more, but unfortunately, what you've described is an all-too-common scenario.

I hope you can get that cap off, girl!

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can sympathize with you. Although I've never had such a thing happen to me, I've had similar. Last year when I was helping Alex Jr move out of his apartment...which happened to be on the 3rd story no less...I made so many trips up and down those durn stairs carrying stuff! He's a big, strong guy himself but I'm a small (almost 5'1'')little mexican lady. Well there were many times I was struggling with some piece of furniture or box of something down those durn stairs...and male tenants would just walk right past...not even bother to ask if I was ok or could they help.

Men...not all men now, but surely some of them...they just don't get it anymore.

Hilda >^..^<

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that you are having a bad day already.

Maybe you oughta move to the south, down here men are much nicer, they like to help a lady in distress. At least they always help me, maybe I just look like I don't know what I am doing

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand exactly where your coming from. Most men will not help unless you look like a model. On the other side of the coin which is where I am, people stop to help me cuz I'm older with silver hair so maybe they just feel sorry for me :-) Hey, whatever works.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks ladies. I had called my dad last night & he called to see how the car was & when I started cyring he offered to come help. So he came & took care of me, but it's still frustrating because he'll be 65 tomorrow & I worry about what will hapen when he is no longer able to help. I do have to say that my neighbor offered to send her daughters boyfriend out to help, but my Dad offered before I had a chance to go knocking of their door. I was wishing I was at work becuase I work with a lot of men & they have helped me before. I once said that I needed to buy some WD40 for my door because it was very difficult to close. One of the guys went out to my car & took care of it without me even asking. He spent his break time taking care of my car and I know anyone of them would have helpped me. I'm feeling better because it's taken care of now, but it's still frustrating.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh those wonderful men who live in Wisconsin!!
Last week I went to Fleet Farm and bought 3 60# bags of solar salt ment for the water softener but we use them as weight in the back of the truck. I can carry 50# sunflower seed bags a short ways but I had to "hoist" the salt bags into the bed of the truck. Many men walked past-no volunteers to help. Where are their manners???
Glad you got it taken care of though!!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am telling ya'll, ya'll need to move to the south. I never hafta do that, men are always helping me to do stuff like that.

Maybe I just look like I can't do nothing.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pfft...men. thats why i am glad my hubby is southern he is helpfull and he always helps me and other ladies in need of it
love him for it.

I shamed the heck out of a couple of men one day. I was at fleet farm had just loaded up my big 60lb bags of stuff, and there was a lady loading up some 40lb bags of something near, and men kept on walking passed, looking at her but..oblivious..

So..i walked over and helped her, on seeing that two men actually stopped, LOL

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

pfft...men. thats why i am glad my hubby is southern he is helpfull and he always helps me and other ladies in need of it
love him for it.

I shamed the heck out of a couple of men one day. I was at fleet farm had just loaded up my big 60lb bags of stuff, and there was a lady loading up some 40lb bags of something near, and men kept on walking passed, looking at her but..oblivious..

See, I told ya'll that men in the south are helpful

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That really sucks! Men are very strange - when I was young, they were all tripping over themselves to help me. When I became middle-aged, all of a sudden I was either Ma'am or invisible. Now that I'm in my 50s, they are chivalrous again - probably because I remind them of their mothers. Why can't they be helpful, no matter what the age of the person or what they look like? Men out there - answer this!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The guy friends I do have, well they basically are unsure now of whether to stop and help a woman. It's all that womans rights blah blah blah (I only half listen to their excuses).

Besides, I don't know where you're from, but that's the way some men are from here. I nearly fell over when I went off to college and a MAN opened the door for me. I NEVER had that happen. Then I got use to it, went home for break and all the guys were like "You can open the **** door yourself".

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

See, I told ya'll that men in the south are helpful
yup well three years together and he still opens every single door for me (unless i beat him to it and am being a little stinker about it lol) he carries all the heavy stuff. and pulls out my chairs when we go places
he also waits for me to take the first bite..at ANY meal...

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see why the guy at the auto place couldn't help you. It probably would have only taken a second. What a jerk.

clu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you have the hose replaced? If not, just dump a few packets of pepper (the kind you get at McDonalds, etc.) into the antifreeze. Pepper is a nonsoluble substance so it'll clog the hole until you can replace the hose. I learned that my freshman year of high school in my auto class. I was one of 3 girls taking the class!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree.. it must be a southern thing... My husband is always helping people carry heavy things w/o them asking

I swear, one day, I'm going to buy him this shirt

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

love him for it.

I buy 40 lb boxes of kitty litter and 50 lb bags of sunflower seeds at BJ's and I always have a hard time getting them into my shopping cart. Men will walk on by but twice women have come over to help me lift them into my cart. I will say a few men have helped me in the parking lot to load them into my car.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

I agree.. it must be a southern thing... My husband is always helping people carry heavy things w/o them asking

I swear, one day, I'm going to buy him this shirt
OH I LOVE THAT SHIRT lOL

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ellen13

I buy 40 lb boxes of kitty litter and 50 lb bags of sunflower seeds at BJ's and I always have a hard time getting them into my shopping cart. Men will walk on by but twice women have come over to help me lift them into my cart. I will say a few men have helped me in the parking lot to load them into my car.
Yeah its not that i cant do it. i used to bale hay and do barn chores alot with all of that. But sometimes it is a struggle. Ah well I love lending a helping hand when i can

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think men in the South feel important when they are helping a women. I think it makes them feel manly