Not sure how I'm feeling about Innova EVO so far...

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, about two weeks ago, we switched (gradually) our entire crew (the 3 cats AND the 2 dogs) over to Innova EVO. The kitties were previously being fed Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care, and the dogs were on Nutro Natural Choice Lite for Large Breeds.

The switch went over well, and all animals are enjoying the taste...Ripley has turned her nose up completely to the wet EVO, which is not like her...she usually would take canned food over kibble any day, but she nibbles on the dry. Captain Steuben and Fergus love the canned and dry EVO.

Just a couple of comments, as it's been hard to gauge so far how both kitties and doggies are doing on the new food.

*The COST!!! Dear me, is this stuff pricey! But considering it's all protein (meat-based), and no grains, I understand why. And, each of my kitties only need 1/3 cup twice a day, and each of the dogs are only being fed 1 cup twice a day (two cups total), so a bag truly does last a bit longer.
*Farts!!! I picked up little Captain Steuben last night, and he let one rip...I nearly died. I haven't noticed this with any regularity, but I've also never smelled such a rotten bum in my life. I experienced this with the two dogs the first week as well, but not so much now.

*I haven't noticed much of a difference in the litter boxes...no loose stools, decreased volume of stools, etc. Now, Melvin (the golden retriever), went for a walk the other night, and apparently had a NASTY poop along the way.
*Fur quality...I was seriously hoping that the EVO would help with Ripley's dandruff problem. She's a torti, and has really kind of oily fur, and seriously dry skin, with some flakiness. It's not a huge problem, but she is more of a shedder than Fergus or Ripley, and has a poorer coat and skin quality than my boys. So far, the EVO has made no difference. She did throw up three times last week in the morning, and was fine for the rest of the day, and has been fine ever since. Also, Puppy (our lab/chow/rottie mix), is still itching and having trouble with her skin. She seems to have very dry skin, and tends to get hot spots. The past two days, both she and Melvin have been laying around, depressed-acting. The dogs do really like this food, and have been eating it with great gusto, and both she and Melvin have dropped a couple of pounds between them, which is great, as they are both too chubby.

So, for those of you that feed EVO, how long were you feeding it to your pets before noticing a difference in energy levels, coats, skin troubles, weight, etc.? Perhaps I'm not giving it a fair day in court, but I've noticed some changes in my pets...some good, some not so good. I do realize that EVO is not for every cat and dog...they tend to either do really well on it, or they have trouble on it. I also realize there have been a lot of threads already created about EVO, I just wanted to share my experience so far...

I appreciate any input you have...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i sent you a PM ...

Two weeks you wont see coat issues improve

I NEVER feed light foods
coat disaster waiting to happen , but EVO isnt desigend to help troubled coats ( it does have good omega levals but

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

i sent you a PM ...

Two weeks you wont see coat issues improve

I NEVER feed light foods
coat disaster waiting to happen , but EVO isnt desigend to help troubled coats ( it does have good omega levals but
Thanks! I really do need to keep all the animals on this to see if a couple months will make a difference. It's a wonderful food, love that it's quality protein-based and grain-free, and like I said, the cats and dogs enjoy eating it. I probably just need to give it a chance...I guess with a lot of the hype surrounding this food, I was expecting instant miracles or something.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So was I and I didnt get them
... went back to nutro and mix with others got desirded result

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed my Bindi, Innova EVO and he's thriving. I had a feeling he loved it when I was trying different brands when he was a kitten,not a good thing to do to a kitten but had to see which one he liked best. He has thrown up once but that's because he was eating too fast. I'd try it and wait a few more months. If nothing improves try new food. ( PS. try odering it online its wwwaay cheaperhttp://www.thecatsite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
give it a 8-12 weeks to see if mircles will appear

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With mine I seen a difference in the coat quality after about 8 weeks... you can't expect miracles with any food, the way I see it, if I eat 'diet' food I am not going to lose say 50lbs in the course of a couple of weeks, and I wouldn't expect miracles from a cat food and certainly not in a short time span.

As far as the gas, our four went through that for a month.

The weight, it had the desired effect, Scully and Bumper have both lost weight and Magnum, who loves EVO and now won't eat anything else gained the little bit he needed... but it has been a long slog - we have been feeding it for well over a year.

There are some newer EVO type foods that are a little cheaper, Orijen and Serengeti come to mind, I know there are more.

I have fed Orijen when I just couldn't find EVO (only 1 store locally stocks it) and apart from Magnum who is a fusspot anyway, they love it as much as EVO and I can't switch them without problem between the two without 'introducing' it slowly.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Panther pride

I feed my Bindi, Innova EVO and he's thriving. I had a feeling he loved it when I was trying different brands when he was a kitten,not a good thing to do to a kitten but had to see which one he liked best. He has thrown up once but that's because he was eating too fast. I'd try it and wait a few more months. If nothing improves try new food. ( PS. try odering it online its wwwaay cheaperhttp://www.thecatsite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif)
Do you have a suggestion for ordering it online?

wookie, I'm trying Evo too. Jake and Peaches woof it down. I paid $1.60/15 or 16 oz can. I looked one place online and not sure how much I'd save when shipping is added in. But maybe I'm looking in the wrong place!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can sometimes take a month or more for their systems to get used to a new food. During this time you may see extra itchiness, more dandruff, gas/stomach problems, or other symptoms of "detox". These should clear up and usually in 1-2 months you will begin to see improvements of the skin/coat. My sister's cat is on Innova evo and I think it was about 6 weeks when I started noticing her coat becoming really nice and soft.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I liked EVO, but honestly, never saw any "miracles" or well, even any improvements while feeding it!! I switched my kits to Innova dry instead of the EVO dry....now I'm not sure what I think about Innova vs. Innova EVO.

The main reason I like Innova & Innova EVO? My toothless kitty likes the kibble.
Otherwise, I might switch to another food...

As for nasty stools....some animals never take well to EVO in terms of poop. I've heard of some that just get nasty "digestive offshooots"(gas/runny poo) from EVO.