Chapped lips-looking for solutions!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A the humidity in my house continues to drop despite running more humidifiers I have really bad chapped lips. I have a bunch of tubes of various chapstick products and also have started to exfoliate my lips to stop them from getting worse.
Anyone else have this problem and what works for you??

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When mine are really chapped only vaseline works. Chap sticks don't seem to heal them. I am addicted to soft lips for everyday use.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mmm, yeah Vaseline will work. I prefer to use Bag Balm...works reeeally well for all sorts of chapped skin.

Hilda >^..^<

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Blistex medicated in the blue container usually works for me

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have trouble with the low humidity too.
I have a bunch of different ones to carry around, but the ones that really work well I use generously at night - Vaseline, and Elizabeth Arden 8 hour repair (tastes icky but works well).

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blistex always make mine peel way worse, as do chapstic.

I use only Neutrogena lip moisturizer, they have it at CVS but you have to look for it, as it isn't kept in the moisturizers aisle.

It moisturizes your lips without drying them up, doesn't feel heavily waxy or greasy like vaseline, and you don't have to use it as often as you do any of the other products. It really works wonders for me, and we have c-c-cold nasty winters up here on the northeast coast.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a little girl I used to get chapped lips so bad that they would get infected. The only stuff that would work is this: http://www.bagbalm.com/

It has a down side: it smells bad, but if it is really horrible it should clear it up. Oh, and it will heal minor cuts on your hands and feet too.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's what you can try...this works well for me.

Before bed, take a baby toothbrush (with SOFT bristles), wet it, and "buff" your lips a bit to exfoliate them. Pat your lips dry. Then, SLATHER Vaseline petroleum jelly on them, and go to bed. During the day, use a lip moisturizer (such as Kiehl's #1 or Neutrogena lip moisturizer)...I've never had good luck with Chapstick or Blistex.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok... now I know it sounds gross, but if you put Desitin (the diaper rash ointment) on your lips before bed, it really helps!!! (I do not recommed doing it during the day or you will get some weird looks from people.)
That or carmax ointment really helps too.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Vitamin E stick, looks like a beige flesh color lipstick.
Most department stores carry it in cosmetics.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put vasoline on your lips (dampen them a bit with water first) then use a soft bristled toothbrush to very gently exfoliate them. After you've done that- slather a bit more of vasoline on them to intensly moisturize them. After they start to heal up- i really suggest getting some of the C.O. Bigelow lip shine that they sell at Bath & Body Works. It is uber moisturizing, not sticky, and it tastes amazing- if freshens up your breath too!!!!

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find Vaseline works best for me.I apply it ever few hours. My lips are so dry and chapped this time of year they burn....

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Put vasoline on your lips (dampen them a bit with water first) then use a soft bristled toothbrush to very gently exfoliate them. After you've done that- slather a bit more of vasoline on them to intensly moisturize them. After they start to heal up- i really suggest getting some of the C.O. Bigelow lip shine that they sell at Bath & Body Works. It is uber moisturizing, not sticky, and it tastes amazing- if freshens up your breath too!!!!
I just bought a bunch of those lipshine things from B&B Works! I bought the Black Cherry Cola, the Vanilla Mint, and Cinnamint! They are really good!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH is having a time with his lips cracking because he works outdoors for the most part. I use vaseline when my lip has craked. Other than that I love the avon chapsticks. My MIL used to send the callendar ones each year, I forget which one of theirs is in that exactly but I can tell you when my order comes in next week! I seriously left her an order saying I want 2 of that chapstick that comes in the callendar tube! I'm hoping that does better for DH.

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely Vaseline and the buffing with baby toothbrush thing works really well - I also really like the original Chapstick in the black tube (has a bit of a funny smell, but V effective) Another hint - try not to lick your lips even if very dry and tempted - there are enzymes in your saliva which will eat into the delicate skin in your lips and make them even more sore!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Clinic lip moisturizer. I used to have really chapped lips that crack and bleed all winter and I only need to dab this on about twice a day.

clu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mainly use the lipsmackers stuff and it always works for me. Though I do have Burt's Bees and Carmex on hand for those just in case situations.