Cat Bonding with Dog

chinakit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have five cats, all of whom get on well together, BUT my fluffy ginger girl Foxy has developed a really strong bond with my little Chihuahua cross dog Holly. They are always together ... Foxy washes Holly all the time - especially those hard to reach places (top of her head being favourite). I'm not sure the bond is so strong from Holly's viewpoint, but she tolerates Foxy's attentions well

Foxy took to Holly when I first got her as a tiny puppy, and she's always been maternal towards kittens too.

Is it usual for cats to develop these bonds with other species, especially when there are other cats around?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Chinakit

Is it usual for cats to develop these bonds with other species, especially when there are other cats around?
No, some cats are more friendly towards other species and can bond with all sorts of other weird and wonderful creatures
kinda a cute really

Maybe your kit feels very secure with your Chihuahua Holly, is she a small dog ?

You´ll have to get some photos and post them for us
we just love photos especially cuddly kits with dogs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chinakit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, Holly is a very small dog, and really friendly / calm with cats. Will get some photos uploaded next week!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Stumpy absolutely LOVES dogs. Sometimes I think he prefers dogs over cats. He grew up with 5 large dogs (2 of them greyhounds) and when they all crossed, he went into a serious depression for 11 months until we adopted our current 2 dogs. We joke that we adopted the pair for Stumpy.

This is a typical moment for him:

And my Spanky and Eightball are also known to groom the dogs heads.

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Same here. Clio grew up with our Springer, Angus. She always slept with him and groomed his eyes and paws. She was lonely when he died, the other cats just didn't do it for her. This past fall we watched our son's Springer, Emley and Clio was in heaven. She was sleeping with her and grooming her. She loves dogs.

~Rhonda

alikatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our kitten Jack has a very strong bond with Roxy, our 8 y/o dog. He nurses on her(yes, it's weird), and half the time they just fall asleep where they are. My dog's think they are cat's though. They've been raised with cat's since day 1, and enjoy the company.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Three of my four kittens are affectionate toward my Yorkie, Jasmine. Rachel and Jaz play together all the time, Meghan sleeps with Jaz and spends hours rubbing bodies with her (which Jaz tolerates but isn't real keen on - who wants cat fur all up in their face, right?), and Allen, well, Allen chases Jaz around constantly so he can bury his face in her fur, knead, drool and purr himself to sleep. Jaz does NOT care for that at all, but will eventually give up running and submit to the indignity.

Here's Jaz and Allen together on my lap.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww that picture is just too precious!
Love hearing about dogs and cats happily living together.

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love hearing about the bonds between animals. I don't think it is weird for a cat and another species to get along. Do you have any pics of them together?

minuets_mum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Meezer ande Maggie the beagle, our dog Bear enjoys it when Sasha grooms her ears, got to get a picture of that one day!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All our cats loved out Cardi Corgi, but Meggie loved him the most. When he passed away, we waited a year and ended up with a female Boxer. We thought Meggie was going to run away from home for the first 3 months (seriously). But, as you can see, she adjusted!
The other 3 cats are still having problems adjusting to a long legged, boisterous dog
, but they do "air rubs" in her direction now

(clickable thumbnails)
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/boxart/MEGANDMATSIG3RESIZEDpng.png
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/boxart/tcsmattieandmeggiesnugglekitchen.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/boxart/bdp2MeggieandMattieJuly06006.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/boxart/CSrmegandmataug06004.jpg

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, we had a cat who was an indoor/outdoor cat. We also had a rat terrier. They both came and went as they pleased (we lived in the country). The cat had a litter of kittens, and when she wanted to go out, Johnny would babysit the kittens. It was the cutest thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chinakit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's Foxy with her 'best mate' Holly. On cold nights they both now sleep INSIDE my bed!

Cats ... don'tcha just love 'em?

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My alpha female Gizmo likes my one dog over the other cats. She does not sleep or kitty pile with any of the other cats only with the dog. I guess being the alpha she feels the other cats are beneath her

She loves her canine sister.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How did I miss this one? Shep was my pariah cat in the house and absolutely hated the other cats. When the puppies were young, they would try to play with the cats and the cats didn't like them. Smart old Shep would sleep with the dogs to keep away from the other cats. Shep was about 17 years old in this picture.

We call this picture the "Shep Sandwich".

This picture made the cover of the Humane Society newsletter and is still out on their website.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had dogs and cats bond, too. Rex, the cocker spaniel, came to our house at the same time we had a red tabby named Butterscotch. They were the same size and would wrestle until neither one could move from exhaustion.

Originally Posted by Misty8723

When I was a kid, we had a cat who was an indoor/outdoor cat. We also had a rat terrier. They both came and went as they pleased (we lived in the country). The cat had a litter of kittens, and when she wanted to go out, Johnny would babysit the kittens. It was the cutest thing.
My mom grew up with a dog like that. Had no sense of direction and would get lost if it just stepped outside the fenced area around the house. So he'd stay with the cat's kittens under the grape arbor and when she returned from hunting, she'd give half her kill to the dog. Yep, the dog got paid for kitten sitting!