I think some of my students...

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Took a shortcut.

I'm teaching a web design class on top of everything else. Their first assignment was to create a web page based on their resume, writing everything in code.

About 4 all had different assignments, but their code mistakes were similar...it wasn't what I had taught them.

Then I opened one students tonight that had the same mistake as the others and I noticed additional information at the top...usually found when you've used a Web page program. at first I didn't take points off but I'm thinking about taking a 1/2 a point off.

The mistakes didn't effect the view of the page...really it was just using another web language.

Ugh...I just uploaded the grades to the site...hopefully these students haven't looked at them yet
I know...I doubt it too.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well they should get what they deserve..If you think they took a shortcut, then grade accordingly.

I never did that in college
Or wait..I forget if I did or not

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they used a program to do the work for them, you're being more generous than I would be.

clu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are we talking about a program like Dreamweaver? If so, that's what we use at my high school so I don't really see anything wrong with using it. We type in the code by hand and everything.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Clu

Are we talking about a program like Dreamweaver? If so, that's what we use at my high school so I don't really see anything wrong with using it. We type in the code by hand and everything.
She had a purpose to the lesson and when these students used this program, they didn't get that lesson which is obvious through this mistake.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the assignment was to write the website from scratch from code, you shouldn't give any points at all with the caveat that they may try again for full credit. I think a half point off is way too easy on them! That's basically cheating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Clu

Ultimately they will be using Dreamweaver, but right now I'm teaching them HTML. I began to notice some students inserting XHTML into their code. I finally came across it when a student had program garbage written across the top of his assignment.

The course is an introduction to the web (in general).

I went back through and made sure that none of these students had a 10/10. I had caught some of them on different errors Already.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'd nip that in the bud right now. I'd make them all re-do the assignment completely, and take 5 points off their current grade. What can I say, I'm a hard-nose.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

Yeah, I'd nip that in the bud right now. I'd make them all re-do the assignment completely, and take 5 points off their current grade. What can I say, I'm a hard-nose.
I would do the same... my students are lazy (2nd graders) and I don't put up with it... they need to think for themselves!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

same here, especially if it was WYSIWYG software

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

same here, especially if it was WYSIWYG software
I think they should be penalized for cheating. It is for their own good. If they don't understand how HTML works, the WYSIWYG software can really screw them up.

clu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Ultimately they will be using Dreamweaver, but right now I'm teaching them HTML. I began to notice some students inserting XHTML into their code. I finally came across it when a student had program garbage written across the top of his assignment.

The course is an introduction to the web (in general).

I went back through and made sure that none of these students had a 10/10. I had caught some of them on different errors Already.
Gotcha, gotcha. With Dreamweaver you can do all the coding by hand (Html). I just set it so that I have the code in half the window and the visual of the html in another part of the window so if I make a mistake I can see where and what it is. I've never attempted XHtml stuff, only straight up Html. I'd love to learn flash, though! I'm tired of using frames.