TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I think some of my students...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I think some of my students...

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Took a shortcut.

I'm teaching a web design class on top of everything else. Their first assignment was to create a web page based on their resume, writing everything in code.

About 4 all had different assignments, but their code mistakes were similar...it wasn't what I had taught them.

Then I opened one students tonight that had the same mistake as the others and I noticed additional information at the top...usually found when you've used a Web page program. at first I didn't take points off but I'm thinking about taking a 1/2 a point off.

The mistakes didn't effect the view of the page...really it was just using another web language.

Ugh...I just uploaded the grades to the site...hopefully these students haven't looked at them yet I know...I doubt it too.
post #2 of 13
Well they should get what they deserve..If you think they took a shortcut, then grade accordingly.

I never did that in college Or wait..I forget if I did or not
post #3 of 13
If they used a program to do the work for them, you're being more generous than I would be.
post #4 of 13
Are we talking about a program like Dreamweaver? If so, that's what we use at my high school so I don't really see anything wrong with using it. We type in the code by hand and everything.
post #5 of 13
Yup - I would call them on it and mark accordingly!
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clu View Post
Are we talking about a program like Dreamweaver? If so, that's what we use at my high school so I don't really see anything wrong with using it. We type in the code by hand and everything.
She had a purpose to the lesson and when these students used this program, they didn't get that lesson which is obvious through this mistake.
post #7 of 13
If the assignment was to write the website from scratch from code, you shouldn't give any points at all with the caveat that they may try again for full credit. I think a half point off is way too easy on them! That's basically cheating.
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clu View Post
Are we talking about a program like Dreamweaver? If so, that's what we use at my high school so I don't really see anything wrong with using it. We type in the code by hand and everything.
Ultimately they will be using Dreamweaver, but right now I'm teaching them HTML. I began to notice some students inserting XHTML into their code. I finally came across it when a student had program garbage written across the top of his assignment.

The course is an introduction to the web (in general).

I went back through and made sure that none of these students had a 10/10. I had caught some of them on different errors Already.
post #9 of 13
Yeah, I'd nip that in the bud right now. I'd make them all re-do the assignment completely, and take 5 points off their current grade. What can I say, I'm a hard-nose.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie130 View Post
Yeah, I'd nip that in the bud right now. I'd make them all re-do the assignment completely, and take 5 points off their current grade. What can I say, I'm a hard-nose.
I would do the same... my students are lazy (2nd graders) and I don't put up with it... they need to think for themselves!
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie130 View Post
Yeah, I'd nip that in the bud right now. I'd make them all re-do the assignment completely, and take 5 points off their current grade. What can I say, I'm a hard-nose.
same here, especially if it was WYSIWYG software
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21 View Post
same here, especially if it was WYSIWYG software
I think they should be penalized for cheating. It is for their own good. If they don't understand how HTML works, the WYSIWYG software can really screw them up.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
Ultimately they will be using Dreamweaver, but right now I'm teaching them HTML. I began to notice some students inserting XHTML into their code. I finally came across it when a student had program garbage written across the top of his assignment.

The course is an introduction to the web (in general).

I went back through and made sure that none of these students had a 10/10. I had caught some of them on different errors Already.
Gotcha, gotcha. With Dreamweaver you can do all the coding by hand (Html). I just set it so that I have the code in half the window and the visual of the html in another part of the window so if I make a mistake I can see where and what it is. I've never attempted XHtml stuff, only straight up Html. I'd love to learn flash, though! I'm tired of using frames.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I think some of my students...