When buying a camera...

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to get a new digital camera, but I don't know the first thing about them. What I do know is, I want (most importantly) multiple frames per second, or at least able to take pictures quickly without "Please wait, loading, focusing, etc.." and by then the people are yelling at you to hurry up and you get a picture full of mad people....as many megapixels as I can get, rechargable batteries, lightweight, and the price to be under $200, including a memory card. I upload a lot of pics onto myspace and here and email them and stuff, so they have to be quality enough for that. I don't need super bells and whistles, that will come with my next camera I plan to get, but that one is like $600 so I'm getting a cheaper one for now. Any ideas? I know there's a few new camera threads but I thought it's been a while and maybe there are more people with new cameras out there recently that could help?
The camera I have now (which died recently) is a hp photosmart 318, which I hated. It took great pictures but took forever to take them and used up a 4 pack of batteries every outing!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the Canon A430. It is the best camera in that price range..I researched them ALL for weeks before I bought one. I love mine

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we picked out the last 3 out of 4 cameras (ours and extended family), we went to a Wolf Camera (also known as "Ritz" and one other name that I can't recall at the moment, sorry!) and told them what we knew we wanted the camera for, and what we wanted it to do/not do, and how much we could spend, and they were VERY helpful. We went in 2 or 3 different times, each time, with our internet research and questions and tried several in the store (changed our mind on one because of how it fit in the hand- so going in is helpful just for that
) before we finally decided on one, and we've been happy with our choices!
We also went in a 2 or 3 different stores in the same chain, and each one was just as helpful as the previous one
. I think they also have a price guarantee. Good luck!

Oh, loved that link!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had done some basic research and have a Sony Cybershot. My mom has a Kodak but I didn't like the little knob she has to use to perform some functions (she has arthritis in her hands). My sister has a Canon and its so slim!!!
Soin conclusion I am no help to you!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it's very confusing...I am going to have to go in and look I think! Thank you for the link, I will look at it more tomorrow when I am more awake.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a fan of Steves Reviews also

To be honest, if you just want to have the pics for online and not print out to 8x10s or larger, you would be better off going for more features on a less MP camera.

As far as $200 inc a memory card, how big a memory card do you need as they can get expensive and is it possible for you to use the card from your existing camera (and what type is it) or are you giving that camera to someone?

Most of my friends are into advanced photography so I don't have much 'user' knowledge of the lower end cameras, but I know a coworker has a kodak easyshare (4MP and cost her about $120 Canadian without memory card), it is fairly decent in picture quality... and I know there is a cheaper Fuji (5MP) that is decent and was about $20-30 more (which I think she should have got but she preferred the plain silver look of the kodak)

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Canon "A" line (A70, A80, A430) pretty much any of them are outstanding. I've owned 2 canons - small, great pictures and they do have the fast shots on them.
I now own a Sony and so far love that too, but I've never owned any of the previous cybershots. People say they're great though!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will ask DH later when he gets home. He so wants a new camera.
We have old cameras. I have Kodak easy Share CX4230, 2.0 mega pixels, 3x optical Zoom.
He has Kodax DX3900, 3.1 Mega pixels, 2x Zoom.
When he zooms in the pictures come out blurring. His has a turn nob for reviewing pictures. I have Buttons for the setting and reviewing. To me it seems the higher quality cameras have more complicated buttons/nobs. I really like Kodak. The colors are amazing.
Both of our cameras are outdated but I just wanted to share the differences between the two.

I forgot his camera there is a longer lag in taking pictures than my camera.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I have the Canon A430. It is the best camera in that price range..I researched them ALL for weeks before I bought one. I love mine
Thats what I have too. It's a great camery. Mine didn't come with rechargable batteries or a memory card though. I paid $199 cdn for it.