Question about Macy

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay everyone probably knows she was spayed this week. On Tuesday to be exact. Well she cannot go outside except on a leash right now due to her stitches. Well she is driving us all crazy she wants to play and since she can't she is getting very antzy. Well today I took her and Lilly for about a mile long walk and I wanted to know if anyone thinks that was a bad idea. She is up on the move right now. And my vet said that she wouldn't do anything to hurt herself but I am not letting her outside with the other dogs because they want to play as badly as she does. And I don't want to deal with the pent up energies of a boxer so I am deciding to walk her a bit more to expell some of it in a safe manner. Only trouble today its so cold I put my hood on and the wind blew it off two or three times. And Macy was so excited she started pulling which is unusuall for her because I use a choke collar with her because if I don't she drags me. And she has learned not to pull well today she decided she was going to try it and choked herself. It was while I was trying to put my hood back on. And I want to know if I should walk her and Lilly at the same time. They are both hyper dogs so they have to let out energy somewhere. And I thought it would be good for us to walk together. And also I am trying to walk Macy correctly but she doesn't seem to know how to listen. That sounds weird but when I give her leash corrections she ignores them so should I simply walk her seperately. I need to work on leash manners with her anyway.

puppycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
in most cases it is recommended to walk her alone when working with proper leash training. This is so she has no other destractions and you can have your full attention on her. As far as walking her after surgery... the main thing is for her not to stretch that part of her body, by running (taking long strides) and jumping. Its been almost a week since her surgery (correct ?) so she should be fine with the walks. But she shouldn't strain, especially now. I recommend you invest in a pinch collar or no pull harness. Some ppl don't like the look of either but both (I consider) humane. You just need to be smart when using them. The pinch collar really does look like a torture device and some ppl are against them but if you have common sense, they are a good tool to use. I use it on my lab and have had great results. With the pinch collar you do not have to pull or snatch on the leash. Its automatic when they go to pull, it gives a pinch sensation. This does not hurt the dog cause they immediately release the tension on the leash. You should never leave the collar on the dog if she is not on the leash. This should only be used for training only. The no pull harness has a strap that goes across the nose. When the dog pulls on the leash, the stap pulls the dogs nose down. This makes it uncomfortable for them to pull.

Both devices can be used during training sessions. Training sessions are important because you can train your dog to not pull. If you do not teach proper leading with your dog, you will have to use these tools permanently.

What kind of stitches did they use on your dog? are they dissolvable or the kind that will be removed at a later vet visit?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's a bad idea, but that's just me..I just wouldn't over exercise her being that she was just spayed. Just make sure if she has sutures be careful of her playing too rough until they are taken out.
but I think it is fine now since it's been almost a week. If she has sutures, do you know when they will come out? You should post pics of your dogs, I have never seen them and I would love to see them.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

I don't think it's a bad idea, but that's just me..I just wouldn't over exercise her being that she was just spayed. Just make sure if she has sutures be careful of her playing too rough until they are taken out.
but I think it is fine now since it's been almost a week. If she has sutures, do you know when they will come out? You should post pics of your dogs, I have never seen them and I would love to see them.
That is my thinking too ////

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think a long calming walk should be just fine, as she need to get that energy out!

I wouldnt use a choke collar though. A choke collar does just that: If the dog doesnt obey it chokes the heck out of them and can cause trachea damage. A prong may look like a torture device but it slightly pinches instead of choking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well her stitches come out on valentines day. And right now I only have a choke collar for her I haven't been able to find a prong collar in my area and my money was a bit tight with getting her spayed. We are having a very hard time keeping her quiet just in the house. She is the most hyper dog at times and then she just falls down so to speak and snores away. I have pics of my dogs on the pet pics and in a post I made on here about which would you rather have small or large dogs. I need more pics of them. I would order her a prong collar but I really want to take her and have her sized to her collars from now on because its very hard to get the right collar for her. I haven't been able to walk her but once due to them deciding to give me some double shifts at work and my lack of sleep and its been too cold. I can't wait until her stitches come out she keeps crying to go play with my dad's dog Lucky and I feel so bad for her.