Salmon recipes

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does any one here know how to cook salmon?

My husband bought some salmon and now he wants me to cook it for supper tonight, I have never cooked salmon before so I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas on how I am supposed to cook it.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one word for salmon - ick! Well, maybe a couple more - cat food!

DH loves it though. He likes it baked with dill sauce on it and in the summertime he'll put it on the BBQ (I tell him don't get any on the side MY food is being cooked on)! Can't stand fish - yuck!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it fillets, Belinda???? They are good grilled or baked, with some barbeque sauce on top.
About 3-5 minutes on each side, start with the skin side up. It sohuld be firm when you touch it with a fork but still flake apart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Is it fillets, Belinda???? They are good grilled or baked, with some barbeque sauce on top.
About 3-5 minutes on each side, start with the skin side up. It sohuld be firm when you touch it with a fork but still flake apart.
I guess it it filets, it is a big ole piece anyways.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

I guess it it filets, it is a big ole piece anyways.
Well, does it have eyes and bones and a tail still??? Or is it really orange looking with grey skin on the bottom?

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE salmon.
Rinse and blot dry very well with paper towels. Brush melted butter on both sides. Sprinkle with garlic, salt, and pepper. Bake at 350 - 375 for 20 minutes and CHECK. It is done at the point when it just turns from translucent to opaque at the thickest point. Serve over fresh raw spinach. Delish!

Alternate - instead of garlic, drizzle real maple syrup on it. It carmelizes wonderfully!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Well, does it have eyes and bones and a tail still??? Or is it really orange looking with grey skin on the bottom?
No, it doesn't have eyes and bones, it is orange looking and I guess the skin is gray, it is still frozen.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

I LOVE salmon.
Rinse and blot dry very well with paper towels. Brush melted butter on both sides. Sprinkle with garlic, salt, and pepper. Bake at 350 - 375 for 20 minutes and CHECK. It is done at the point when it just turns from translucent to opaque at the thickest point. Serve over fresh raw spinach. Delish!

Alternate - instead of garlic, drizzle real maple syrup on it. It carmelizes wonderfully!
That sounds good too, I have never eat salmon before, and I certainly never have cooked it.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very easy recipe. minutes in the microwave

Cut the big ole piece into serving size portions. each piece should be about 1 and a half to two inches thick.

Melt some butter in a dish big enough to hold your servings.

Put orange juice in with the melted butter, and put in fish coat with orange joice and butter.

Cook in microwave 5 minutes for 2 inch thick pieces. Don't overcook.
should separate easily with the fork.

serve, yummy

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

Very easy recipe. minutes in the microwave

Cut the big ole piece into serving size portions. each piece should be about 1 and a half to two inches thick.

Melt some butter in a dish big enough to hold your servings.

Put orange juice in with the melted butter, and put in fish coat with orange joice and butter.

Cook in microwave 5 minutes for 2 inch thick pieces. Don't overcook.
should separate easily with the fork.

serve, yummy
That sounds easy, gonna be hard for me not to overcook though, I like to make sure that my food is cooked.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

That sounds easy, gonna be hard for me not to overcook though, I like to make sure that my food is cooked.
Oh, pleeeeeeeeease don't overcook it. If you do, it will dry out.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

Oh, pleeeeeeeeease don't overcook it. If you do, it will dry out.
I am used to eating dried out stuff

I will try not to overcook my husbands anyways.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely love salmon! (maybe it comes from many summer's in Newfoundland!).

Best recipe I've found (of course it's a little canadian). Brush the salmon with maple syrup (you can dilute the syrup with some white wine if you are going to let the salmon defrost/marinate in the syrup).

You can either cook it by wrapping it in an aluminum foil packet and baking it in the over or put it on the bbq. You'll know the salmon is done when it's light pink and the pieces flake apart. (make sure it stays moist by coating with more syrup mixture)

Or...i like it cooked on a cedar plank (you can get them at the grocery store in meat/fish area). Brush the sauce on salmon, put it on the cedar plank and then cook in the oven or on the bbq, brushing more sauce on as you go.

Either way will take about 20 minutes to cook....and it's DELICIOUS!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of those sound good too, now I just gotta figure out which one I want to do. I think I will just let Jimmy look at these and he can tell me which one he wants.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, how'd it go? Did you overcook it? was it easy to make? Did you end up giving it to the cats?

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up just grilling it on the inside grill that we have, I used some Olive Oil and some Citrus seasoning, my husband liked it. I didn't, I just didn't like the taste of salmon, I have never eaten it before, it just tasted yucky to me. And I didn't overcook it either.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

Sounds good to me! Do you not like any fish, or just salmon?
I love fish, but mostly in Mississippi we just eat bass and white perch and catfish, I just didn't like the taste of the salmon, maybe if I ate it a different way I would like it.