How many rescue?

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not normally rescue. However last year my mother showed up with a kitten that would have died if left alone. It couldn't have been more than 5 weeks old. And it's tail had been split open and maggots were in it! We didn't have the funds to help this little kitty. But we took it in for the night. We cleaned it up, tried to get as many fleas off him as possible. And got as many maggots out of his tail as we could and put some medicine on it.

I couldn't keep him here so my mother took him home and kept him in as good of health as she could while I searched the net for help. I eventually found a wealthy couple that agreed to take him and provide the vet care he desperately needed. He had his tail amputated and is living out his days with them.

Here's some pics. I'm not going to put the graphic ones showing his tail.

BTW that is Gatorade. Only thing I had w/ electrolytes. He was very emaciated.

The next day. He is very dirty but we didn't want to cause too much stress so we didn't bathe him.

Share your rescue stories.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, what a little sweetie! How wonderful of you to have helped him - how could you look into those eyes and NOT?!

And how neat that he's living out his life as a rich kitty!

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stories like this just make me cry.
1st because it breaks my heart to see such a sad little animal in trouble...
2nd because there is someone like you who cared enough to help him!
Thank you for being such a good person - and thank your Mom as well. It's nice to know that this wonderful little cat has a happy ending - with or without his tale!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

Stories like this just make me cry.
1st because it breaks my heart to see such a sad little animal in trouble...
2nd because there is someone like you who cared enough to help him!
Thank you for being such a good person - and thank your Mom as well. It's nice to know that this wonderful little cat has a happy ending - with or without his tale!
I second that
It's great to know there really are kind people left in the world

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh he is so sweet and beautiful...pobresito. I'm so glad you opened your heart to him...good on you and your mum!

Hilda >^..^<

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful little kitty, I agree with the others, how could you not help something that was so gorgous.

Have you heard how the little kitty is doing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

What a beautiful little kitty, I agree with the others, how could you not help something that was so gorgous.

Have you heard how the little kitty is doing?
Unfortunatly no because when my pc crashed it took along his contact information.

No one else has stories to share??

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How sweet. I used to do reptice rescue but only for people who knew me and my soft spot for the cold-blooded. If someone comes to me asking for help I'll do everything I can. I would even help wild animals I found hurt in our yard. There's only been a few.

One was a dove in my parents yard that had been hurt by a pet. I put it in a box outside and medicated it's wounds till one morning it was gone. I hope it was better an flew away.

Another was a starving ball python that required force feeding. We mamaged to get a mouse into him but sadly his "owner" had let him go too long before seeking help and he didn't make it.

Another reptile rescue was a beautiful iguana that had been fed lettuce his whole life and never handeled. He was surpisingly sweet and absolutly LOVED the fancy meals I prepared for him. He got real greens and all kinds of yummy fresh veggies. Once we got him used to being handled and got his color back we adopted him out to a great home.

And I guess technically Frankie was a rescue but obviously I kept her. She was a stray days old flea infested kitten when I found her. Now she the house Alpha.

It's been one of my life dreams to run a small home rescue when I have the space and money.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to try to "rescue" small animals and birds when I was a child, but mostly wound up having funerals in my backyard.

If my life was different - different living space, didn't have to work full time to support myself, then I would be totally interested in rescuing, but I just don't have the time or the resources.

This question might get a better response if it was posted in the "Caring for Strays and Ferals" section of TCS.
There are lots of folk that hang out there that devote themselves to rescue.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I used to try to "rescue" small animals and birds when I was a child, but mostly wound up having funerals in my backyard.

If my life was different - different living space, didn't have to work full time to support myself, then I would be totally interested in rescuing, but I just don't have the time or the resources.

This question might get a better response if it was posted in the "Caring for Strays and Ferals" section of TCS.
There are lots of folk that hang out there that devote themselves to rescue.
Technically I do not have the resources either. This baby just ended up at my door. He was actually found by my mother in the McDonalds parking lot. He almost got squished by my mothers truck. She's good at doctoring them herself. I'm good at finding others who can take them in and pay the vet. I do not have the money to spend on strays. It's hard enough to provide for my own pets. And actually if I remember correctly I told my mom to put the kitten down. The tail looked like it couldn't be saved and looked like it had spred too far. I'm glad she insisted that we try though.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

Technically I do not have the resources either. This baby just ended up at my door. He was actually found by my mother in the McDonalds parking lot. He almost got squished by my mothers truck. She's good at doctoring them herself. I'm good at finding others who can take them in and pay the vet. I do not have the money to spend on strays. It's hard enough to provide for my own pets. And actually if I remember correctly I told my mom to put the kitten down. The tail looked like it couldn't be saved and looked like it had spred too far. I'm glad she insisted that we try though.
And we are all so glad that she did!

If a baby like that turned up on my doorstep, resources or not, of COURSE I would try to help it! I live near a no-kill shelter, so I know I could take it somewhere that would be safe and that would find it a nice home.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh - what a little sweetie! I don't understand people that can abandon cats or any animal! We just had a case locally recently where some teenagers found 5 newborn kittens in a dumpster on an extremely cold night - it was about -20 and they figured they had been there for several hours! The last I heard, only two of them were still alive! I just don't get it!

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

Oh - what a little sweetie! I don't understand people that can abandon cats or any animal! We just had a case locally recently where some teenagers found 5 newborn kittens in a dumpster on an extremely cold night - it was about -20 and they figured they had been there for several hours! The last I heard, only two of them were still alive! I just don't get it!
This kitten wasn't dumped. It was born out there from a feral. Of course the feral might have been dumped or it could have been born out there too. We have a population of ferals around our businesses that the shelter tires to trap often. Unfortunately there is no trap/spay/release program here. If their wild they are put down.

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... Well I could tell a few rescue stories because my mom is a state and federally licensed wildlife rehabilitator. She has helped, raised and released numerous squirrels, chipmunks, deer, jays, and robins.

Two cats have been picked up from freeway exits and two more rescued when their feral mother was killed. (A family friend works at the prison and spent hours searching for the kittens after the body of the lactating (sp?) mother was found.) My folks live in the country and have also taken in cats that people dump out there. I know where I get my love of animals!
Catfriend

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just take care of the occasional kitten that my husband finds at work (my last foster, Gretta, the kitten from...well, I'll let you guess- she turned out alright, though!) and when my BIL had ferals in his barn, I fed one of those for a while (Butterbean and Smoochie are two of my BIL's former kittens - bottle fed Smoochie
).

Many, many nights staggering into the kitchen to fix syringes/bottles of formula, and being chased by tiny, screaming kittens (3 at a time are a hoot!) and me, half awake myself, trying to hurry, so they don't wake up my poor DH to much!

Wouldn't trade it!
(Great preparation for motherhood!
)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been rescuing for over 8 years now.I am the primary foster mom for our shelter.i started at a young age). I mainly rescue kittens, but have been known to work with greyhounds and pitts too
Bottle babies are my "speciality" and i also work with ill ones as well- the ones that nobody else wants to care for.I have rescued and fostered too many to count. There are soo many stories and soo many little faces that are near and dear to my heart. Each rescue/foster holds a special place in my heart. I have countless photos of the beautiful animals i've rescued. I'll have to post a thread with those sometime.
Probably my most memorable rescue as of late .....one that really broke my heart was little Lex. He sadly did not make it- he had SOOO many health problems- between the vets and i- we did everything possible to save him. But alas...his seizures got the best of him. But i will say, for every little angel that didn't make it- i have saved countless more and have been able to rehome them with incredable new families. Rescuing/Fostering is the most rewarding thing i could ever think of doing. It holds a very dear spot in my heart and i will continue to rescue and foster for as long as i am able to. Thankfully- i have been blessed with a wonderful man in my life, Colin, who understands the importance of fostering animals for me and has opened up his heart and home to allow me to foster my animals there. I adore being a foster mommy!
All of my furbabies are rescues

These are some of the last pictures of have of little Lex...i really miss him

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of mine are rescues. I found Pepper in busy intersection after she had been hit by a car and was still trying to get across the road. The little stinker crawled up inside my brake spring, and I almost got run over getting her out. Then I got bitten several times for my trouble. Scooter almost got flushed down a toilet, Fluffy got dumped out by my SO's job, and Pearl was removed from an abusive home and brought to me.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a cutie

We have rescued a few in our time, my boss is crazy about animals and can't say no and we have a few spare offices that we use to keep them in upstairs. The ones we have had, I paid for food/litter and he paid for vet expenses (and even cleaned the litter for me). The ones he has brought in, he paid for everything (except the treats and toys I buy whenever we have animals.

We both have a soft spot for the cats rather than kittens who find homes pretty quickly in a shelter, although we did once have a mother and kittens and I really really wanted the kitten but we had enough on our plates, having adopted Scully not too long before

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've rescued 1 cat (Fergus) out of my trio. I can honestly say that through that experience, he's truly the most bonded and affectionate with me...I thank God every day for allowing me the opportunity to save him from his former life, and from the WICKED person who was neglecting him.

Bless all of you that do this regularly...although there's heartache along the way, your successes make such a tremendous difference in the lives of animals. Give yourself (and your rescues!) a big hug!