TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Rush Limbaugh nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rush Limbaugh nominated for Nobel Peace Prize - Page 2

post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
Bob and Tom is the most popular morning show in the nation. I wasn't making it up, I checked their website first.
I never said anyone did say that it was only for Americans. I was just pointing out that someone who may be culturally valuable here is a nothing to the rest of the world. I also never said that he caused people to hate America.
And it has nothing to do with patriotism, being opinionated, his wealth, or anything else in your argument that begins to sound quite a bit like the "they hate our freedom" speeches Bush gives all the time.

I meant, quite simply, he's a big fat jerk. He's a hypocrite. He's a liar. He's obnoxious. And quite a good number of his listeners love him for it. Which is fine, of course, he can do whatever he wants and people can listen to whatever they want. But IMO, Rush Limbaugh is just another shock jock with a talk show.

As for the global warming thing, yes, his site today says that global warming is "It's politics, not science. Feeeeelings, not facts" (his extra ee's). The way he talks about taxes is completely misleading, making it seem like he's the bearer of a huge tax load when half the recent tax cuts went to the top 1/3% of wealth. Our middle class has gotten poorer and our upper class has gotten richer. But not if you listen to Rush Limbaugh, who seems to have very selective fact checkers.

No, you didn't say Rush *caused* people to hate America. What you said, which I quoted from your previous post, was that "Rush is exactly what so many people around the world hate about America." I just tried to imagine what it was *exactly* about Rush that corresponds to hatred of America by "many people around the world". Glad to know that "it has nothing to do with his patriotism, being opinionated, his wealth" or, as you point out, "anything else in (my) argument".

So let me see if I understand this... you go on to say "I meant, quite simply, he's a big fat jerk. He's a hypocrite. He's a liar. He's obnoxious". Is that why "many people..hate America"? They think we're big fat jerks who are obnoxious, hypocritical liars? Hopefully, I've got it right, now.

BTW, thank you for comparing my comments to the President's speeches.
post #32 of 52
Dear eburgess:

...well, I take everything these crackpots do pretty seriously, because they are so full of, er, ire. But you've got the right idea -- ignore 'em and maybe they'll go away, eh?
post #33 of 52
Quote:
[QUOTE Is that why "many people..hate America"? They think we're big fat jerks who are obnoxious, hypocritical liars? ]
[/quote]

Add to this we are loud and rude, and think we are entitled to invade other countries for their oil, and you will have just about nailed it.
post #34 of 52
Add to this we are loud and rude, and think we are entitled to invade other countries for their oil, and you will have just about nailed it.[/quote]

Well lets, see. hmm nope, only ever saw 1 american act loud and rude, the rest have been people from germany,some dutch, and Australia. and of course super liberals, i really dont get why the so called liberals always seem to be the ones that are rude.

To stop the evil that is america lets just hand it over to the UN
lets see let looks at just the A in the UN we have afghanistan, albania, algeria, andorra, angola, there you go, angola i am sure we would be much safer if angola was running america. i know we need a body of third world nations who are mostley made up of dictatorships, to judge what is LEGAL or a illLegal war . There was the US mistakes we did not PAY off the UN. Or making the undertable money form iraq that the french and germans were getting.

why would i take over iraq for there oil, when there are place on this side that have enough, and more with in reach. If i was going to take over a country for its oil then why would i not just drop a new neutron bombs and wait a few year to move in. oh wait that sounds about as silly as rush getting a nobel peace prize.
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post
. He is a hypocritical bag of hot air.
ok i agree with you on that one. but that is what he gets payed to be.
post #36 of 52
Well lets, see. hmm nope, only ever saw 1 american act loud and rude, the rest have been people from germany,some dutch, and Australia. and of course super liberals, i really dont get why the so called liberals always seem to be the ones that are rude.

To stop the evil that is america lets just hand it over to the UN
lets see let looks at just the A in the UN we have afghanistan, albania, algeria, andorra, angola, there you go, angola i am sure we would be much safer if angola was running america. i know we need a body of third world nations who are mostley made up of dictatorships, to judge what is LEGAL or a illLegal war . There was the US mistakes we did not PAY off the UN. Or making the undertable money form iraq that the french and germans were getting.

why would i take over iraq for there oil, when there are place on this side that have enough, and more with in reach. If i was going to take over a country for its oil then why would i not just drop a new neutron bombs and wait a few year to move in. oh wait that sounds about as silly as rush getting a nobel peace prize.[/quote]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6328753.stm The war in Iraq is the WORST POSSIBLE thing we could have done. And we are only beginning to see that now.

We do not have enough oil. There is not enough oil in the world to support America any longer. There never will be, not at the rate we abuse it.

But that's not why we're there. We're there because its good for business. It was good for the last election, too.

As for the assertion that only super-liberals are rude. In the numerous legal protests I have been at, the only people doing anything rude were the people protesting our protest. They scream all kinds of nasty insults, do all kinds of nasty things, threaten to put my face on their websites with devil horns photoshopped onto my head... I have never once seen someone most people would describe as super-liberal be rude to anybody but a cop in uniform (not something I agree with either) but I have been looked at the way I imagine people would look at someone with three heads and had coffee thrown at me just because I looked like a hippie. And no, I was not doing anything but trying to buy food at a Subway in Pennsylvania. I did nothing in retaliation. Not even a sideways glance.

If we're the rude ones, I am totally confused as to what rude is.
post #37 of 52
I'm a conservative southern baptist and consider myself to be a republican/libertarian for the most part (although i am not strict- i don't side with just one party-i research and look at the issues and the individual)....and i'll put it this way- i dislike the guy- i don't agree personally with many of the things he says and this is why i do not think he deserves the nomination/prize.
post #38 of 52
Quote:
Well lets, see. hmm nope, only ever saw 1 american act loud and rude, the rest have been people from germany,some dutch, and Australia. and of course super liberals, i really dont get why the so called liberals always seem to be the ones that are rude.


No comment.
post #39 of 52
Dear Gail:

...yeah, that's a perspective most of the rest of the world shares, and I've always counted myself a world citizen...let's hope it can and will eventually be turned around and pointed back in a more compassionate direction, eh?
Oh, the things we could -- and should -- learn from cats!
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post
[/QUOte

Add to this we are loud and rude, and think we are entitled to invade other countries for their oil, and you will have just about nailed it.

Who are the "we" you're referring to? Certainly not me, my family or friends. We are not rude, nor are we loud. We know how to behave not only in our own country but when traveling abroad.

This "Ugly American" stereotype is one too often used by the (self-hating) left about their fellow Americans. There is something quite snobby in believing that Europe or anyplace else in the world is populated by people who are so much more well- mannered, sophisticated, etc. than citizens of the US.

You will find, if you travel overseas, that no one nation has the monopoly on rudeness and or loudness.

As far as being "entitled to invade other countries for their oil"... so as not to entirely hijack this thread, I'll just say that's a bunch of malarky (I'm too well-mannered to use an expletive).
post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTLynn View Post
This "Ugly American" stereotype is one too often used by the (self-hating) left about their fellow Americans. There is something quite snobby in believing that Europe or anyplace else in the world is populated by people who are so much more well- mannered, sophisticated, etc. than citizens of the US.
As far as being "entitled to invade other countries for their oil"... so as not to entirely hijack this thread, I'll just say that's a bunch of malarky (I'm too well-mannered to use an expletive).
1) I am not self-hating, nor are most people who don't believe God chose Bush to lead the country to be a great empire. I love America, I just happen to love a different America. One where the Bill of Rights and Constitution are worth more than toilet paper. Lots of people all over the world are rude, yes. But we have stereotypes about what we don't like about other countries too, like the French guy in both Talladega Nights and a recent episode of My Name is Earl.
2) So why do you think we're in Iraq? I don't necessarily think it's for oil either. But the thing is, the first part of that statement is totally true. We think we are entitled to invade other countries. Whatever the reason, that's scary enough.
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Who are the "we" you're referring to? Certainly not me, my family or friends. We are not rude, nor are we loud. We know how to behave not only in our own country but when traveling abroad.

This "Ugly American" stereotype is one too often used by the (self-hating) left about their fellow Americans. There is something quite snobby in believing that Europe or anyplace else in the world is populated by people who are so much more well- mannered, sophisticated, etc. than citizens of the US.
I think as a free society with very high standards for the services we purchase, we come across as very demanding in other countries because we apply those very same standards to them, not realizing that their culture may not support complaining about the way the steak was cooked, or asking for their eggs to be done in a certain way. Add to that having a good old time on vacation, and I think many Americans can be very pushy, without intentionally wanting to give a bad impression.
AS far as you condemning half of the country (the left) as being self hating and snobby, well, sorry for you.

Quote:
...yeah, that's a perspective most of the rest of the world shares, and I've always counted myself a world citizen...let's hope it can and will eventually be turned around and pointed back in a more compassionate direction, eh?
It seems that our compassion has brought us to this point. Keep being tolerant and understanding and before you know it you will have no rights whatsoever. The radical right is determined to rule the US, and I will point it out and object to it at every opportunity. It is unfortunate that they use religion as bait, presenting their views as the gospel and to disagree with them makes you a bad person. I feel it is my responsibility to point this out, and if even one person will take a second look at themselves and their leaders, than I have done some good.

In front of Trader Joe's the other day, a woman had her adorable 4 year old daughter approached me and hand me a pamphlet with pictures of aborted fetuses, referring to abortion as a Holocaust. In addition to this being child abuse, I was offended by her position and her audacity.
Shall I be understanding? NO, I will fight back. I gave it back and told her she was despicable for using her child this way. The next time, and this might offend many of you, I intend to give it back to the little girl and tell her her mommy doesn't love her and she is a bad mommy. I agree, that is not fair to the little girl, but then maybe mommy won't use her next time. I thought about it, and I don't think anything else would stop her from using her daughter, not sure this would either, but worth a try.
Sorry if you disagree, but I am sick of those that think they are holier than thou, trying to shove their views down my throat. I wish that others that believe in "freedom for all" and "separation of church and state" would take the same stance, and stop with the compassion.
post #43 of 52
Thread Starter 
I don't think it is fair to punish the daughter for what the mother is doing is it?
She is 4 years old, an innocent baby, why punish her. I'm sorry, but I feel that is just wrong.
post #44 of 52
Thread Starter 
Everyone is stereotyped, American, French, Chinese. It isn't right, but it is a fact of life.

I think Bush is for the Bill of Rights and the constitution.
post #45 of 52
Quote:
I don't think it is fair to punish the daughter for what the mother is doing is it?
She is 4 years old, an innocent baby, why punish her. I'm sorry, but I feel that is just wrong.
I agree with you, but it might be the only way to teach her mother a lesson.
Being the child of mother who does this to her, is probably far more damaging than anything I would say once.
post #46 of 52
My mom says "hate" is a very strong word, so be careful how you apply it. If "being pushy" and requesting to have "eggs done a certain way" gives people from other countries a reason to "hate" Americans, I have to say that's a poor excuse for such a strong emotion. I tend to think the hatred has more to do with disapproval of our free society as well as jealousy.

Just to clarify, I don't think that *all* left leaning Americans are self-loathing. I do believe there is certainly a percentage of liberals who fall into that category. Those are the ones I feel sorry for - I'll only condemn them if their actions in any way undermine our troops or our country.

It's a whole 'nother debate about the left's "tolerance" and the *radical* right's wish "to rule the US". I think this is getting off on a tangent, so I won't address it.

I do have to respond to the last few paragraphs of your post. I agree 100% with you that the mother who is having her 4 year old hand out anti-abortion literature is absolutely wrong to do that. However, for an adult to tell a 4 year old that her "mommy doesn't love her and she is a bad mommy" is extremely irresponsible and unnecessarily cruel. This child will have a tough enough time growing up with such a mother. Your anger is misdirected and should not be taken out on an innocent child. You've already told the mother how you feel about this. You do not "fight back" at the expense of a little girl.

Keep in mind that this woman, just like you, has a right to her views, and a right to distribute literature to those who are interested. No one is "shoving their views down your throat". You can keep walking and ignore her. If you feel so strongly to the contrary, get out there and offer pro-choice information. But under no circumstances should you make those remarks to that child. That would be worse than what her mother is doing.
post #47 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post
I agree with you, but it might be the only way to teach her mother a lesson.
Being the child of mother who does this to her, is probably far more damaging than anything I would say once.

So, what are you saying? The end justifies the means? I, respectfully, disagree.
post #48 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTLynn View Post
My mom says "hate" is a very strong word, so be careful how you apply it. If "being pushy" and requesting to have "eggs done a certain way" gives people from other countries a reason to "hate" Americans, I have to say that's a poor excuse for such a strong emotion. I tend to think the hatred has more to do with disapproval of our free society as well as jealousy.

Just to clarify, I don't think that *all* left leaning Americans are self-loathing. I do believe there is certainly a percentage of liberals who fall into that category. Those are the ones I feel sorry for - I'll only condemn them if their actions in any way undermine our troops or our country.

It's a whole 'nother debate about the left's "tolerance" and the *radical* right's wish "to rule the US". I think this is getting off on a tangent, so I won't address it.

I do have to respond to the last few paragraphs of your post. I agree 100% with you that the mother who is having her 4 year old hand out anti-abortion literature is absolutely wrong to do that. However, for an adult to tell a 4 year old that her "mommy doesn't love her and she is a bad mommy" is extremely irresponsible and unnecessarily cruel. This child will have a tough enough time growing up with such a mother. Your anger is misdirected and should not be taken out on an innocent child. You've already told the mother how you feel about this. You do not "fight back" at the expense of a little girl.

Keep in mind that this woman, just like you, has a right to her views, and a right to distribute literature to those who are interested. No one is "shoving their views down your throat". You can keep walking and ignore her. If you feel so strongly to the contrary, get out there and offer pro-choice information. But under no circumstances should you make those remarks to that child. That would be worse than what her mother is doing.
Great post KT. I agree.
post #49 of 52
Quote:
But under no circumstances should you make those remarks to that child. That would be worse than what her mother is doing.
Don't know if I will run into this particular person again, or anyone who uses their child like that. And I agree those are mean remarks to make to the child. But at this point, that is what I intend to do to make my point.
Hopefully, it won't be necessary, and no need to further discuss it because it is thread hijacking. As I said, I know people won't agree with it, heck I don't agree with it, but if it is her right to distribute offensive material, using her child, putting herself and her child out there, she is obviously willing to take the risk. Let her feelt the pain. Hopefully her child won't understand.
post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post
Don't know if I will run into this particular person again, or anyone who uses their child like that. And I agree those are mean remarks to make to the child. But at this point, that is what I intend to do to make my point.
Hopefully, it won't be necessary, and no need to further discuss it because it is thread hijacking. As I said, I know people won't agree with it, heck I don't agree with it, but if it is her right to distribute offensive material, using her child, putting herself and her child out there, she is obviously willing to take the risk. Let her feelt the pain. Hopefully her child won't understand.

So your need to "make your point" takes precedence over how it will affect that little girl? How selfish.
post #51 of 52
Not only are some posters going completely off topic, but remarks are getting too personal. Should it continue, posts will be edited and warnings or infractions issued.
post #52 of 52
Well, Gail,

I'm with you. As for others, well, as my dad used to say, that's what makes horse races.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Rush Limbaugh nominated for Nobel Peace Prize