Spayed cat ...she not happy

fefe76

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all

yesterday Cleo went in and got spayed....we kept her in a travel cage all night and this morn let her out she is walking around but not a happy cat at all....she is growling and we tried to take the bandage off from around her middle ...anyway she started running and jumping all over the place

she isnt eating or drinking so i dont know how i am supposed 2 give her her medicine 2ce/day
and i dont want to just force her to take it without any food or water or anything

how long will it be before she will be "normal" ? i feel so bad putting her thru this now i am seeing how she is reacting to it....her pupils are constantly dilated ...she has peed on the floor this morn and cant really get to the litter tray and she is just hiding in corners or under the blanket on the bed

pls help
cant see her like this i jus feel like ive been a cruel mummy

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give her a few days... let her rest confined in a bathroom with everything she'll need. Let her get the vet smells off of her and smell the familiar smells of the house. Giving her time to adjust and heal a bit will do wonders. She'll be back to herself (minus the heat cycles) in no time!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fefe76

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i sure hope so coz at the mo she not eating or drinking or anything

:eek:(

any ideas how to give her her meds????

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since she ate? Is she running a fever? You might want to consider that she just doesn't feel like moving around enough to get to the food bowl, and confinement will help that. If that doesn't fix it, you might need to take her in to see if she has a fever or infection of some sort.

On giving meds... scruff the back of the neck, open the mouth at the base of the jaw if she's being difficult, and squirt the syringe in the back of her throat, and rub her throat while her mouth is closed (so she doesn't shake it out of her mouth) until she swallows it. If she's on pills, it's more complicated.

fefe76

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well ive just managed to feed her some whiskers wet food and mixed the antibiotic syrup into it, she seemed to eat without any issues so i am feeling slightly better

will keep going in and feeding her food a lil at a time....i dont think she has a fever...how wud i know? will she feel hot?

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will feel hotter than normal and be a little listless... or you could quantitatively find out if she has a fever by putting a human thermometer up her butt.
Not pleasant, but it will tell you right off if that is the problem. I think anywhere from 100 to 101.5-ish (Fahrenheit)is considered normal in cats (but I'd check an online reference if I were you to be sure).

fefe76

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hmmmm dont think she got a fever but will keep an eye on her....got her resting in the bathroom....have put the cat cage in there wid a towel and put a thick rug on the floor and a towel in the bath tub as well so she can sit comfortably wherever she wants

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fefe76

.anyway she started running and jumping all over the place
If you can, try to keep her calm and in a place where she cant jump all over the place. The last thing you want is her belly busting open. She just needs some time to adjust and heal. She's probaly in some pain as well from the surgery.

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

She will feel hotter than normal and be a little listless... or you could quantitatively find out if she has a fever by putting a human thermometer up her butt.
Not pleasant, but it will tell you right off if that is the problem. I think anywhere from 100 to 101.5-ish (Fahrenheit)is considered normal in cats (but I'd check an online reference if I were you to be sure).
Just make sure you go out and buy another thermometer for general household use after.

It may help to lube it a bit first before well you know.

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Before you go sticking things in her butt, let her recover a little, she's been through enough! The anesthesia is pretty hard on them and they feel out of sorts for a while afterward. It's not unusual for them to feel weird for a day or two afterward. If she ate a little, that's great! She's starting to feel better already.
Give her some time and as the others have said, put her in a quiet room with food and water and a place to pee.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fefe76

Hi all

yesterday Cleo went in and got spayed....we kept her in a travel cage all night and this morn let her out she is walking around but not a happy cat at all....she is growling and we tried to take the bandage off from around her middle ...anyway she started running and jumping all over the place

she isnt eating or drinking so i dont know how i am supposed 2 give her her medicine 2ce/day
and i dont want to just force her to take it without any food or water or anything

how long will it be before she will be "normal" ? i feel so bad putting her thru this now i am seeing how she is reacting to it....her pupils are constantly dilated ...she has peed on the floor this morn and cant really get to the litter tray and she is just hiding in corners or under the blanket on the bed

pls help
cant see her like this i jus feel like ive been a cruel mummy
First THANK YOU for getting your girl spayed....you have just improved her health tremendously.

She will be ok...just give her time and keep an eye on her.

Katie

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I actually went through a similar situation with Petunia. I was so worried I ended up taking her back to the vet and they told me that it was due to the pain that she was in and gave me plenty of pain meds for her
. Petunia wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink, just sat there giving me the evil eye. After her pain meds, and some time, she was fine.

You weren't a cruel mommy-- you did what will be best for her in the long run. She will be so much happier spayed!

tuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the dilated pupils are probably from the anasthetic and should go away in a day or two. something wonderful to always have on hand is 'rescue remedy' by bach flowers. it's just flower essence that gently calms. you put a little on the ear or a few drops in the water bowel and it really calms them down... and you as well