Some Advice Please - Pet Fountain

ptnfl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I am interested in some infor on the different pet water fountains available. One of my cats (I have 4) loves to drink from the running faucet so when I read some posts earlier about the pet water fountains I decided it would be great for my household. The only problem is...one of my cats is allergice to plastic (we had to remove all plastic feeding bowls and replace with metal and/or glass).

Can anyone suggest a deceant fountain that is not plastic. I have looked online and most appear to be plastic, but I can't tell definitely by looking and most specs I've read don't mention it.

Thank you for your responses.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, same with the feeders. I'd prefer metal bowls, but unfortunately they don't seem to exist!

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is the allergy to plastic when she touches it or plastic being around her water at all?
One of the folks on here made her own fountain at one point, out of a plastic tub and a fish filter (for a tank). You could easily use glass or Metal (probably glass) instead of the plastic tub, but I don't know about the filter.

sphynxmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am totally going to get one of these. My little cat is OBSESSED with water and flowing water.
She will love this!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are so many different kinds of plastic -- I wonder if even a cat allergic to the cheaper plastics used for pet bowls might have no problem at all with higher-quality nylon or acrylic materials. Maybe you could arrange to try out such a fountain and return it if your kitty does have a reaction?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also look at making a bubbler as a opposed to a fountain. Bubbler pools are easy--you just need an aquarium pump, some aquarium tubing, and any kind of dish you want.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

There are so many different kinds of plastic -- I wonder if even a cat allergic to the cheaper plastics used for pet bowls might have no problem at all with higher-quality nylon or acrylic materials. Maybe you could arrange to try out such a fountain and return it if your kitty does have a reaction?
Yeah that's what I think too. Also, my cats mouths never touch the actual plastic on the fountain when they drink from it, so maybe it would work out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ptnfl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone for your help. It's funny, I had just found the stainless steel one on the web right before I found your post; I ruled it out because I thought the only metal was on the bottom outside, then when I read the post and looked at it again, I realized the metal is also on the fountain. I think I will take a little bit of everyone's advice and try that one. I gave some thought to the difference in plastics also and hope that maybe she's just allergic to certain types.

We found out she was allergic to the plastic when her lip kept swelling last year. First the vet put her on antibiotic. Swelling went down for a while (who knows why) then came back. The second time she had no fever or any other symptoms so the vet said to change her feeding bowls because some cats are allergic to plastic. We haven't had any problem since. I guess this will be the tell all, won't it.

Thanks for all of your help; will keep you posted.