TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Help with this riddle please!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help with this riddle please!

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
This is going to make you so MAD! There are three words in the English language that end in "gry". ONE is angry and the other is hungry. EveryONE knows what the third ONE means and what it stands for. EveryONE uses them everyday, and if you listened very carefully, I've given you the third word. What is it? _______gry?
post #2 of 19
Thread Starter 
Never mind! I got the answer!
Angry and hungry are two words that end in '-gry'. There are three words in the English language. What is the third word? Everyone knows what it means and everyone uses it every day. Look closely and I have already given you the third word. What is it?

The answer is 'language'. The key sentences are the second and third. If you just read those two, the answer is obvious. The first sentence is a ruse to throw you off. 'Language' is the only answer that fits the hints that follow those two sentence.

So, all the searching in dictionaries is pointless. I hope you'll pass this information along. Before I finally discovered the correct phrasing of the question and the answer, I looked there and did not find a satisfying answer.
post #3 of 19
They asked you that riddle incorrectly. The way it is presented there, it won't make sense.
post #4 of 19
????

Hilda >^..^<
post #5 of 19
Language...
post #6 of 19
This makes ZERO sense the way it is presented.

Language ends in -age, not -gry.

I do not get this at all.
post #7 of 19
That was tooo confusing.
post #8 of 19
The "Angry and hungry" line is there to throw you off. It makes more sense if it's written this way- There are three words in "the English language". What's the third word?
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
This makes ZERO sense the way it is presented.

Language ends in -age, not -gry.

I do not get this at all.
The part of the riddle is suppose to be "There are 3 words in the English Language..." The rest of what she told us was suppose to be the part that throws us off.
post #10 of 19
Agree?..energy... UGRY!

I'm saying energy is the answer. It ends in gry.. but the riddle didn't say what order the letters had to be in.
post #11 of 19
This may explain it better:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gry

There are tons of uncommon, obsolete, or nonce words that end in -gry... including Ugry, Moz

This also lists the numerous forms of the riddle and their respective answers.
post #12 of 19
Here I thought of orgy. (I'm bad.....)
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
The part of the riddle is suppose to be "There are 3 words in the English Language..." The rest of what she told us was suppose to be the part that throws us off.
I guess I'm too literal, because I took the sentence exactly as it was written. Otherwise, it is stating that there are only three words in the English language.

I just don't see this as a riddle.

I see riddles as:

What has hands, but cannot wave? ( a clock)

...and etc.
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeefecl View Post
The "Angry and hungry" line is there to throw you off. It makes more sense if it's written this way- There are three words in "the English language". What's the third word?
OK, this one makes more sense, and I saw in the Wiki that you have to use the quotations in the printed version to actually have it make sense.

I'm with the program now.
post #15 of 19
Thanks for all the explanations y'all...without them, I'd still be all ...makes much more sense now and it didn't AT ALL to begin with.

I'm with you Betsy...riddles should be that way....

...What's green & red and goes a million miles an hour???


hehehe...
Hilda >^..^<
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^< View Post
Thanks for all the explanations y'all...without them, I'd still be all ...makes much more sense now and it didn't AT ALL to begin with.

I'm with you Betsy...riddles should be that way....

...What's green & red and goes a million miles an hour???


hehehe...
Hilda >^..^<
OOOO! I know that one! A frog in a blender!
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
OOOO! I know that one! A frog in a blender!
Hehehe!

Hey, maybe we should start up a joke/riddles thread...hmmmm?

Hilda >^..^<
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
There are tons of uncommon, obsolete, or nonce words that end in -gry... including Ugry, Moz


Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC View Post
Here I thought of orgy. (I'm bad.....)
You bad girl!
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post




You bad girl!
Yep, I agree. I think a good spanking is in order here!



Hilda >^..^<
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Help with this riddle please!