Should I be concerned?

claired

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a one-and-a-half year old cat named Guy, and Guy has a problem with a mother who worries too much.

It all started in August when Guy got a urinary tract infection. The first symptom of this infection was blood in the urine, so I rushed him to the vet and they put him on antibiotics and a special food. His urine cleared up, but the bacteria in the urine persisted for a month and a half. For that whole month and a half, he was on antibiotics twice a day, which made his stool runny. Through everything, however, Guy never acted sick. He was playful and otherwise normal all around.

We kept him on the perscription diet the whole time, which also made him fat. Once the vet gave us the green light for one more shot at non-prescription food, his weight started to normalize. (The food he's on is a Science Diet light formula.) He seems to have slimmed a little bit and has definition in his hips again, but I'm worried because his belly seems to be rather round, despite. Also, his stools haven't been solid since.

Again, he's not acting ill. I feel like because he's not doing anything that seems to say "I don't feel good" I might just be paranoid and looking for things to be wrong. Or am I right that something is awry?

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you're a great cat mom for paying so much attention to detail, I am the same way, a big worry wart lol. Perhaps he has something else going on that's giving him the runny stools? Has the vet checked for parasites or anything?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

claired

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He hasn't been checked for parasites yet. I'm making him an appointment for the vet, but I can't get away from work long enough for about a week. Unless its something that needs immediate attention...if that's the case, i'll do what I have to do.

How difficult is it to check for parasites?

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ClaireD

He hasn't been checked for parasites yet. I'm making him an appointment for the vet, but I can't get away from work long enough for about a week. Unless its something that needs immediate attention...if that's the case, i'll do what I have to do.

How difficult is it to check for parasites?
It's very easy for them to check for parasites. Bring a stool sample in to your vet.

You soon like a very good concerned kitty parent

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you should consider probiotics. Antibiotics destroy the beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract, and he was on them for a long time.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good point! Didnt think about that. You could try offering him plain yogurt with acidophilus.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

claired

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much yogurt and acidophilous should I give at one time/per day?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've given a teaspoon of yogurt each day for two days and that's worked for us. Make sure it's unsweetened, as mentioned. Good luck with your little guy. You sure do take good care of him!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch