Hi everyone!

butterflyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am brand new to these forums, and I wish I had found them about 2 months ago when my oldest male kitten started spraying! This forum is amazing and filled with great information!!

I have already had a great response to a post I made lastnight and I wanted to thank you all for the warm welcome and replies.

A little about me:

I am a 30 year old female born and raised in Florida, but I live in Massachusetts now with my boyfriend. It is very different up here thats for sure! I am very homesick but I go down there frequently to visit my mother.

My mother and I co-owned a pet sitting buisness in Florida (which she still runs) for the last 4 years. Working with animals is amazing, especially pet sitting because you get to see the animals in their own enviornment where they are most comfortable. We have met alot of wonderful pets and their owners over the years, and the job is something my mother really enjoys now that she is retired. She was the person who taught me at a very young age to love animals, and we both have huge hearts when it comes to them!

I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. My cats are 8 and 9 months old. The 8 month is named Lovebug, and the 9 month is named Basement...I know its an odd name, but we had them since they were tiny kittens and kept them in a cage to protect them from the dogs until they were all comfortable together unsupervised. Well Basement got out of his cage which we kept in the basement (there were 7 cats in there to begin with, we only kept 2). We couldn't get him to come near us or come in the house for over a month, so he lived in the basement, and when we finally got him inside we couldn't tell the difference between Lovebug and Basement because they were both black, so we would say "Is that Lovebug or the cat from the basement"

He was scared of everything the first few weeks in the house, but now he is a very sweet affectionate cat who plays with the dogs and has the run of the house. So since we kept calling him "the cat from the basement" we just shortened it to Basement.

Lovebug is an adorable cat. When we got all those kittens, it was from a litter of strays that was in my boyfriends mothers yard, and she didn't want them. Her husband was going to take them into the woods and dump them off, and made me very upset to hear. So we took them in and fed them, intending to take them to the animal shelter once they were big enough or to give them away to loving homes. Well Lovebug was a keeper, he has the sweetest personality...he never stops purring, he purrs in his sleep even. He follows us everywhere we go and loves to be around both the dogs and us. When we took him to the vet the first time they had to put alcohol on his nose to get him to stop purring so they could listen to his heart! Basement actually got lucky by escaping in the basement because we didn't want to keep 2 cats, but he was just so scared and pathetic we just had to keep him and love him to pieces as well.

So, thats a quick rundown of my cats. I do have the 2 dogs as well, a 1 year old jack russell and an 8 year old mix breed. I lost my rat terrier of 8 years back in 2004 and he was my absolute best friend. I miss him every minute of everyday.

Anyhow I will wrap this up, since it is becoming a novel. I am very excited to see such an active forum here, and such nice and friendly folks using it! I am looking forward to chatting with you all!

Take care

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!! Sounds like you have a wonderful furfamily! Thank you for taking in that litter. I'm not knocking anyone, but I'm so glad they didn't end up being dropped off in the woods.......

Glad to have you here and looking forward to getting to know you and your kids! We love pictures here!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Welcome to TCS, you'll find a lot of good information here, along with great people!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome Basement, Lovebug, Butterflyy and family,

to TheCatSite and thank you for all you have done/do for cats!
(I do hope that all the rest of the homeless cats are in safe and loving homes, though?
You didn't mention the outcome....
) We are all rescued, indoor-only, spayed/neutered of course! and our devoted servant has lived with, loved, rescued, and advoCATed for cats all her life. She's never met a cat she didn't love, but admits to a real weakness for little black ones -- they are just so velvety, glossy, and gorgeous!

It must be quite a shock adjusting to the cold climate after living in FL, huh? Wow!

Enjoy the forums and maybe you'll want to post some pix of your family -- we love pix on TCS!

lady20

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Butterflyy;1564542 said:
I am brand new to these forums, and I wish I had found them about 2 months ago when my oldest male kitten started spraying! This forum is amazing and filled with great information!!

Welcome to TCS! I only found this site last November when I adopted two little stray ferrals, whose pics you see below. The people here are great.

Lady, Douglas and Deacon's fur meowmy

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome Lady, Douglas, and Deacon,

(well, not exactly "welcome", 'cause you've been here almost as long as we have, but "hey hey", anyway!
) and thanks for sharing such a beautiful siggy with us -- your three are adorable and THANK YOU SO MUCH for rescuing/adopting little ferals!
All of us are rescued, too -- our devoted servant wouldn't have it any other way!
Keep on enjoying the forums, and hope to see you all here frequently!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
welcome to the cat site, this is such a great site and is so helpful and is filled with wonderful people, i cant wait to see pics, we
pics here, well see u on the forums

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi & welcome to TCS!
What a great story on how you got your babies...thank you for rescuing them!

If you have any questions as you find your way around the site, please feel free to click on my username and send me a private message. I'll do what I can to help

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Your fur family sounds wonderful - I'd love to see some pics! I'm a huge fan of black cats myself!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS!..

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS!!!...
..)
White cat lover here!
( your nemesis!
...)
See you on the forums!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and a warm welcome to you and your fur-family, they sound such a bunch of peaches
Its just brill to hear stories like these when kits get a warm, loving and safe place
Cant wait to see your photos of them all

Keep us updated and enjoy the forums !!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butterflyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow!! Thank you so much for the warm welcome everyone! It is really nice to see such an active community for people who love animals.

Tarasgirl06...yes it certainly is alot different living up north after living in Florida your whole life. Although this winter we didn't get any snow where I live, a light dusting that melted before it even hit really. Very odd, but I won't complain! I really do miss Florida alot, the heaters here in the winter make me all dry and my nose hurts so bad, I am used to the humid climate down south.

As for the rest of the litter that we took in, they all went to loving homes. If I could have kept them all I would have. But they met a better fate than ending up in the woods, thats for sure.

My little baby Lovebug is in for his neutering right now, the vet called and said that he is all done but we can't pick him up until after 6pm. I miss him so much.

Well I am not sure how you guys wanted me to post pictures so I am going to include them in my post, sorry if it's too much all at once lol.

Here is Lovebug

Here is Basement (left) and Lovebug (right)

This is my dog Vallon with Lovebug (left) and Basement (right)

Vallon and Lovebug relaxing

My dog Sassy and Lovebug napping

Sassy and Lovebug lounging

And here is Vallon in his tent, camping out

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I envy your having a pet sitting business, I would love to do that but I don't have a license and now my health may keep me from it. Your furbabies sound adorable. I have one almost 14 year old black and white kitty. Brought her home from a shelter when she was about 6 weeks old, we have been together ever since. I don't know what I would do without her, she is an indoor only cat, I feel she is safer that way. Welcome to TCS, I am very new also, still trying to find my way around.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

I envy your having a pet sitting business, I would love to do that but I don't have a license and now my health may keep me from it. Your furbabies sound adorable. I have one almost 14 year old black and white kitty. Brought her home from a shelter when she was about 6 weeks old, we have been together ever since. I don't know what I would do without her, she is an indoor only cat, I feel she is safer that way. Welcome to TCS, I am very new also, still trying to find my way around.
They are beautiful, I esp. love the pics with the doggie and kitten together, it's so nice to see them getting along so well. I realize I made a mistake, it's your mom who has the business, I bet you miss working with her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butterflyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Mom now fully owns the business in Florida since I moved to MA. But I worked as a licensed pet sitter with her for almost 4 years. It is an amazing job, and other than all the driving around from place to place, it is a very fun job as well! Very few people can say they love what they do for a living, and I can tell you that I really miss it.

I have thought about trying to get a division of our biz going up here, but I am not sure there is the same demand in the area I live in as where I was in Florida.

I say if you are interested in getting into pet sitting you should go for it. You can get your licenses and the basics to get up and running for a very low cost. If you ever want to chat about it just send me a PM I would be happy to share info with you!