Canned Food Suggestions

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was feeding my cats Iams dry food then after reading that NutroMax was better, I switched to that. My cats like that just fine.

I used to feed my 2 boys 9 Lives or Friskies for wet food as an occasional treat. The cans for those two looked the same and I know I've fed them both to them at one point or another.

I wanted to feed them the best food available so I switched them to NutroMax canned food for indoor cats and they don't seem to like it as much. They will eat it....eventually. I have to say that their canned food looks pretty gross - like spam or something. It also can stink pretty bad depending on the flavor I open up.

Now, here is the problem/question. Is NutroMax a superior food or is there another brand that is preferable?

Thanks! Gunner and Taylor thank you!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I give my girls Wellness tinned food - it's all natural, and pretty good for them.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
here the list
Nutro
Natural balence
Solid gold
Innova
Evo
Meow mix
new Shebas
new Iams ( chicken and beef no gravy but geat sauce for a pate)
Felidea
Eagle Pack
Merrick
Chicken soup( not served her cause duck and lamb issues)
Oraganix ( mine didnt touch but reads well)
Blue spa
Authority
Pet gold
California natural
Evangers
this is just a start ... just look until you find what they like ... I rotate most of these brands

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think Sharky listed most of them, but there's also Nature's Variety Prairie. And Evolve. And Timberwolf Organics has come out with a canned line, but I haven't come across it yet, understandably, since it was released only a couple of months ago.

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had so many questions about what to feed my kitty a few weeks ago and here are my results:

I tried those Nutro pouches but kitty only licked gravy.

Tried Nature's Variety in chicken and rabbit. Kitty didn't like the chicken and sorta-kinda ate the rabbit.

Then we tried Natural Balance (Venison & Peas) and kitty took to it right away. I could tell he really enjoys it and the texture is nice (from what I could tell). Kitty gives Natural Balance two paws up.

I'm still weaning him off of Royal Canin Dry to Evo dry during the day but it's taking a lot of time.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitties also like the Natural Balance Venison and Pea. The Wellness Turkey and Beef/Chicken flavors are currently a close second. They loved Merricks when I first tried it but now seem to prefer Natural Balance and Wellness. I still have lots of Merricks in the pantry and offer it as an alternative.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Nutro Natural dry & they seem to like it. I tried the indoor formula & they would not touch it?? Dont' know what the difference is, but they certainly noticed. As I posted in another post my little girl "Princess Picky Pants" (AKA Maggie) decided a coupel weeks ago the Nutro wet food was no longer good enough for her. I tried lots of differnt kinds, they really like the Chicken soup & the Natural Balance. I decided on the Natural Balance becuase when I give it to them at night before bed, the let me sleep all night.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NutroMax is definitely an improvement over Friskies and 9-Lives. But, yes, there are even better ones.

Sharky provided a good list of premium foods, to which I would add Petguard.
My little guys also like Wellness, but some folks worry about the addition (albeit a trace amount) of garlic.

The one food listed as premium which I would suggest avoiding is Merrick.
I and other members have had problems with that food - it can be very inconsistent as far as texture with large hard clumps in some flavors, other flavors containing far too much water. But much more important than that, it has contained pieces of plastic (some blue, some clear - not easily seen) which several members here reported finding. I found an almost 1" piece of sharp bone in a can. There are lots of other brands to try instead of Merrick.

Good luck - Gunner and Taylor are adorable, btw!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

here the list
Nutro
Natural balence
Solid gold
Innova
Evo
Meow mix
new Shebas
new Iams ( chicken and beef no gravy but geat sauce for a pate)
Felidea
Eagle Pack
Merrick
Chicken soup( not served her cause duck and lamb issues)
Oraganix ( mine didnt touch but reads well)
Blue spa
Authority
Pet gold
California natural
Evangers
this is just a start ... just look until you find what they like ... I rotate most of these brands
Sharky - is this list in order of preference? I just picked up some Iams and Nutro Max Cat tonight to try with them. The ingredients looked good from what I've read on here - no by products.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No I dont do preference since my girls are weird

Max cat and Iams are both good ....

mine eat nutro, solid gold , sheba( new edition but it will stay), felidea , eagle pack and cal natural in regular rotation

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TikiCat

Good grief, don't feed your kitty by-products. Check
Look for only whole meat formula's, no meatloaf, no by-product, no compromise.
only one of the food listed contains a by product as named ... Where are you getting your well inaccurate info???

I found the ingrediants and all are FISH based...