Switching Food

italysa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At the advice of my vet, I'll be taking my kitty off of Fancy Feast and switching her to a prescription food, such as Science Diet / Hills KD or Waltham Renal Support, for her kidneys.

I was wondering what the best way to do this would be. My vet said I could mix the two and slowly decrease the amount of Fancy Feast, or even
put both types, side by side to see which one she'll eat. Has anyone had any luck in switching foods in this way? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm afraid Fancy Feast is going to be a tough habit to break !!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
mix them together and gradually increase the RX

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ yup. I'd start with a 75/25 mix of old and new and gradually go down to 50/50, 25/75 etc maybe over the course of a week or two.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try Innova evo, the meat in its good for the kidneys and helps prevent URI's. High gran/ persevative foods are what causes these kinds of things

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Panther pride

Try Innova evo, the meat in its good for the kidneys and helps prevent URI's. High gran/ persevative foods are what causes these kinds of things
That is conderdictive of most medical articles and professionals for kidney failure.. thou I would not hesitate( other than mine are reactive to it
) with my knowledge and avail nutritional knowledgeable vet I WOULD NEVER recommend it unless a vet was helping determine it met the needs of that animal...

kitte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by italysa

At the advice of my vet, I'll be taking my kitty off of Fancy Feast and switching her to a prescription food, such as Science Diet / Hills KD or Waltham Renal Support, for her kidneys.

I was wondering what the best way to do this would be. My vet said I could mix the two and slowly decrease the amount of Fancy Feast, or even
put both types, side by side to see which one she'll eat. Has anyone had any luck in switching foods in this way? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm afraid Fancy Feast is going to be a tough habit to break !!

With my cats, it's always been put a second food bowl out and see what they'll eat first, then if issues switching, mix 75/25 old to new, then after a few days 50/50 then 25/50 and so on...

Mind you, I've only ever had one cat that refused to switch and would literally nose the new food out of her bowl and eat only what she was used to... although, that'll be very difficult to do with wet food rofl

also, if u find she turns her nose up, try heating the food so that it's warm to touch but not hot for the first couple of tries.