Abandoned dog finally rescued

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I am so, so happy today
we had this female greyhound wandering around our estate for months. She is such a gentle looking thing, but was very, very nervous of humans ! She was very thin and you could see her ribs
About 6 of us agreed to try and catch her, we put down food & water. Some of the other neighbours were really nasty about it
complaining that the food would attract rats and well just a load of old blah....blah...blah.
One even collected a couple of the bowls and threw them away

Anyhow this a.m. as I was coming back from some shopping my neighbours was walking their dogs and they had another dog on a lead ............
its was the greyhound

It just wonderful news, they had been trying for weeks to coax her into their garden and they explained that yesterday she came in, stayed in the garden, ate and slept there for the whole afternoon. When evening came they managed to coax her into the house
My neighbours DH actually stayed with her all night in their sun-longe, but he said she was marvelous, so now they are going to see how she gets on with their other dogs, and at the moment thats going well

So it look like they will keep her and they have called her Sheba.

I am so pleased, I cant tell you

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is such wonderful news!!

Originally Posted by mooficat

Oh I am so, so happy today
we had this female greyhound wandering around our estate for months. She is such a gentle looking thing, but was very, very nervous of humans ! She was very thin and you could see her ribs
About 6 of us agreed to try and catch her, we put down food & water. Some of the other neighbours were really nasty about it
complaining that the food would attract rats and well just a load of old blah....blah...blah.
One even collected a couple of the bowls and threw them away

Anyhow this a.m. as I was coming back from some shopping my neighbours was walking their dogs and they had another dog on a lead ............
its was the greyhound It just wonderful news, they had been trying for weeks to coax her into their garden and they explained that yesterday she came in, stayed in the garden, ate and slept there for the whole afternoon. When evening came they managed to coax her into the house
My neighbours DH actually stayed with her all night in their sun-longe, but he said her was marvelous, so now they are going to see how she gets on with their other dogs, and at the moment thats going well

So it look like they will keep her and they have called her Sheba.

I am so pleased, I cant tell you

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is just wonderful news, I hope she gets along with the other dogs, and I hope that she has found a forever home with them.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is wonderful news!!! I was owned by 2 greyhounds years back. They hold a very special place in my heart and always will.

Greyhound adoption places always warn owners to never let them off leash and will only adopt to those with fenced back yards. If a greyhound gets loose, they can not only outrun you, but sometimes just let loose and run away. My bet is that this dog got loose from their owner, got scared and was afraid to go back to owners. Most greys are raised with breeders for the purpose of running on tracks, and those that don't make it are given to rescue groups for adoption.

Chances are that she had a home at one time. But if she wasn't there long, she may not yet be housebroken. Have your neighbors watch her closely for things that scare her in the house. If she gets scared around things like TV's, ceiling fans, or normal household noises, you know that she is not far removed from her life in the kennel.

Greys are all bones and muscle and need cushy things to lay on. Floors are too hard for them. I gave mine a sofa for the day and our guestroom bed for the night.

Good luck and let me know if there is anything you need help on with greys. I worked with them for about 10 years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Good luck and let me know if there is anything you need help on with greys. I worked with them for about 10 years.
Well thank you very much
I do hope to see them later this p.m.
We actually think she was a race and unfortunately the Spanish are renouned for dumping them once they are past racing
She is a lovely looking thing and very, very gentle once you can get near her
The 'new' owners are a very nice couple and already have two dogs and I am sure they´re going to do all that they can for sweet Sheba

Thanks again and I will let them know that theres others out there rooting for them !

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what a great story!! I hope she has found her new home, Sheba is a great name!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yay! I like to read happy stories.
Good on your neighbours!