Unrecognized number calling FIVE TIMES A DAY! ARGH!!

rosyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had an unrecognized phone number calling my cell phone at least five times a day, sometimes as late as 11:30PM, and never leaves a message. I picked it up the first time they called, and there was no one on the other line. "Telemarketer" was my very first thought, and the next time they called I ignored it. Now it's been a WEEK, and they won't stop calling!

OMG. Get this. Just as I finished writing the last sentence, THEY CALLED AGAIN!!! I am not joking!!

How do I stop this? I Googled the number, and it's come up on several forums as a Sears credit agency, which makes zero sense because I don't have a Sears credit card. I haven't even stepped into a Sears for years.

What the...?! How do I end this crap?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem, only when I do pick up it says 'we have an important message for you please hold for an operator (or something alone those lines' and I sit on hold for ages so I can't even tell them not to call

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Register your # with the Do Not Call registry and that will stop it. Give me a minute and I will look up the # or just google it. Seriously, it stops all those very annoying calls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spudsmom

Register your # with the Do Not Call registry and that will stop it. Give me a minute and I will look up the # or just google it. Seriously, it stops all those very annoying calls.
I've registered each one of my numbers TWICE with the Do Not Call registry. First time a year or so ago, second time a few weeks ago. I thought I was protected, but no dice... I can PM you the number and hopefully you'll have better luck than me!

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok...put in [email protected] into Google and that will take you to the link. You can enter 3 phone numbers and it will take care of those annoying calls. My hubby gets thos on his work cell cuz he didn't want me to put his # in...said it doesn't work with cells. I put our home and my cell in and I'm not bothered a bit, but he's getting all kinds of them on his cell. Ha! Try that and see if it doesn't take care of the problem.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do what my mom did answer the phone and when its a telemarketer tell them that you are in the middle of a chapter 7 or maybe its 13 bankruptcy they don't even bother with you they hang up.
They didn't even get out their whole message and when she said we are in the middle of a bankruptcy they hung up.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can always call the number back and tell them not to ever call your phone again. That's what my hubby did while I was sick and Chase kept calling over and over.

rosyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Ok...put in [email protected] into Google and that will take you to the link. You can enter 3 phone numbers and it will take care of those annoying calls. My hubby gets thos on his work cell cuz he didn't want me to put his # in...said it doesn't work with cells. I put our home and my cell in and I'm not bothered a bit, but he's getting all kinds of them on his cell. Ha! Try that and see if it doesn't take care of the problem.
I've registered all of my numbers with donotcall.gov twice within the last year, so unfortunately I don't think that's going to solve it. I wish I knew what else to do! Boo for telemarketers....

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's a collection agency, they don't have to abide by the Do Not Call registry, because they are calling people who have done business with them.

Most likely, someone got a Sears credit card, gave them bogus information or ID theft info, and gave random numbers as the phone number (that happen to be to YOUR cell phone). They skipped out on the payments, now they are trying to track them down.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was 11:22 PM when she got the last call ........ why would any creditor be calling that late???

rosyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took your advice and I'm on "hold" with them right now... They didn't even say who it was, but did the whole "this call may be monitored blah blah"... we'll see.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RosyC

I took your advice and I'm on "hold" with them right now... They didn't even say who it was, but did the whole "this call may be monitored blah blah"... we'll see.
Make sure you tell them what time it is!

rosyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PROBLEM SOLVED!!

I FINALLY got someone, a woman who picked up and said "Thank you for holding, can I have your Sears account number please?" I told her in a firm tone, "I don't have a Sears account number but this phone number has been calling me five times a day for the past week *insert frowning here*". She was immediately congenial, asked for my phone number, asked my name, and THEN asked if I knew ____, who I don't. I think valanhb is right, I think whoever ____ put my number down as a fake number, and now collections are after her.

The phone rep said she'd fix it immediately, and then I asked why they've been calling me after 11PM. She was bewildered, saying that the company "auto-dial" lines automatically shut down after 8:45 in every time zone. I suggested (firmly) that she address this issue to someone who can fix it, because I'm sure other people are having this same problem.

WHEEEEEEE!!!!! I'm free!!! Thanks for the help

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! I hope that telling them not to call you anymore takes care of the problem.

I'm kind of weird (social anxiety) and I won't answer my home phone until I hear what the caller has to say on the answering machine or recognize the caller or # on my cell. I feel like, if you want to talk to me then tell me who you are. If the caller won't give their ID or isn't in my phone book...then it's just not that important. But that's just me and did I mention I'm weird that way!

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RosyC

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

I FINALLY got someone, a woman who picked up and said "Thank you for holding, can I have your Sears account number please?" I told her in a firm tone, "I don't have a Sears account number but this phone number has been calling me five times a day for the past week *insert frowning here*". She was immediately congenial, asked for my phone number, asked my name, and THEN asked if I knew ____, who I don't. I think valanhb is right, I think whoever ____ put my number down as a fake number, and now collections are after her.

The phone rep said she'd fix it immediately, and then I asked why they've been calling me after 11PM. She was bewildered, saying that the company "auto-dial" lines automatically shut down after 8:45 in every time zone. I suggested (firmly) that she address this issue to someone who can fix it, because I'm sure other people are having this same problem.

WHEEEEEEE!!!!! I'm free!!! Thanks for the help
That's great!! You took care of that really well! My hat is off to you!!!

rosyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

That's great!! You took care of that really well! My hat is off to you!!!
Thank you! I feel so good, I'm doing a happy dance right now:

I have to say, I'm a newbie here but TCS has been nothing but great

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you were able to remedy the problem!!! Let's hope that solves it!