Is This a Common Practice?

jenk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a bad experience with a breeder a few years back. (She wound up selling several litters of kittens exposed to the Coronavirus; my particular kitten died at 6 months of age.
) She went so far as to claim that she was going to declare bankruptcy, which my husband and I strongly suspected was a ploy to get out of refunding our money. In the end, she did refund our money (though we'd also spent more than twice the amount on the kitten in our efforts to save her life).

Just yesterday, I ran into an ad run by this very same breeder in a national magazine, only now she's dealing with a different cat breed. Is it common for a breeder who's had a sick cattery to simply remove one breed, replace it with another, and change the cattery name all together? (I do not know if her household was cat-free long enough for the Coronavirus to die out; still, I'm aggravated with her business practices all over again.)

I appreciate any clarification and/or correction that you can provide.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since breeding isnt truely monitored bad ones exist

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It does seem weird to me to replace all your cats, since over here people do breed but most consider their cats to be their pets first and breeding animals second.

By coronavirus, do you mean the virus which might cause FIP in a certain percentage of cats but does not seriously affect the majority ? Can any of the breeders here tell me if their cattery is corona-free and if that is a common practice where they live ?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cattery (Masmera) is FIP/FeLV free! It's also PKd (as opposed to PKD) normal. All the cats (peds and doms) are tested yearly and vaccinated yearly.

As GK says, it is common for UNethical breeders to change out the breeds - it depends on what ever breed is popular.

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

My cattery (Masmera) is FIP/FeLV free! It's also PKd (as opposed to PKD) normal. All the cats (peds and doms) are tested yearly and vaccinated yearly.
Do you mean FIV/Felv and PKdef ? So what about corona ?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clean of FIP and FCoV!
And I mean FIP = Feline Infectious Peritonitis, and FCoV = Feline Coronavirus Infection. FIV=Feline Immunodeficiency Virus free too!

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Clean of FIP and FCoV!
And I mean FIP = Feline Infectious Peritonitis, and FCoV = Feline Coronavirus Infection. FIV=Feline Immunodeficiency Virus free too!
Ah ok. I've seen a lot of people confuse FIV and FIP and you didn't mention FIV, so that made me wonder. Great that you are FCoV free
, is that standard practice with breeders where you are from or is that a personal goal ?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, not a personal goal really, not common practice either, just a paranoid meowmy!